Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
So we’ve been out shooting and getting her comfortable with her new gun. Only issue she was having was getting used to using a mil scope. It just didn’t make much sense to her. I started explaining the diff between MOA and Mils and she said MOA made way more sense to her. I started looking around and I found a killer deal on a couple Leupold VX6-HD’s so I picked them up. I figured if she was gonna be shooting MOA on her hunting gun it would be easier for us to both shoot the same thing. Man I can’t say enough about the quality of the glass on these scopes. WOW!!!! Def not sorry about spending the money on high end glass. View attachment 354199
@Mark D
The only problem I find with those fancy scopes is by the time I pick the magnification I want then focus the parralax the animal has run off or died of old age. I personally like to keep it simple and know my rifle, scope and trajectory. Put rifle on sticks, pull trigger and game falls down. Simple.
That's just my opinion tho.
Bob

MarkD

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa,Alaska,Oregon,Washington and Florida
@Mark D
The only problem I find with those fancy scopes is by the time I pick the magnification I want then focus the parralax the animal has run off or died of old age. I personally like to keep it simple and know my rifle, scope and trajectory. Put rifle on sticks, pull trigger and game falls down. Simple.
That's just my opinion tho.
Bob

I agree. For quick shooting we keep the scope on its lowest power setting. If it’s a close to medium range shot, say under 300yds we can just use hold over using the reticle. No stressing about having to dial anything. Now when we’re hunting at home out west. Lots of the time you’re shooting at greater distance and you’ll have more time to range the animal and setup for the shots. Best of both worlds.

MarkD

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa,Alaska,Oregon,Washington and Florida
I agree. For quick shooting we keep the scope on its lowest power setting. If it’s a close to medium range shot, say under 300yds we can just use hold over using the reticle. No stressing about having to dial anything. Now when we’re hunting at home out west. Lots of the time you’re shooting at greater distance and you’ll have more time to range the animal and setup for the shots. Best of both worlds.

For example. My Blacktail from last year was spotted at first light on a side hill across a canyon. There was absolutely no way to get any closer. He was at 503yds. The deer had no clue we were on the other side. Once the sun came over the ridge top where there was enough light for me to see him clearly in my other scope I had the sun directly in my eyes. I had to wait about 15 mins for the sun to get high enough in the sky so it wasn’t blinding me. Deer still had no clue we were there. I ranged him setup for the shot. I shoot out over a 1000yds and knew I could make an effective shot and took it. He never made another step and went down. Couldn’t do that with the old non adjustable scopes. At least I couldn’t confidently.
IMG_3511.JPG

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
The 7-08 will work just fine up to and including Eland, Ive used the 7x57 for most of my PG hunting, and the .270 and 30-06...Any good elk round is suitable for PG..I shot lots of pg with the .338 and 300 H&H, but it was not needed IMO..The main thing in Africa is the PH will get you as close as possible and they are good at that even in the open veld..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieMcCa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh