Rifle for Plains game

There is a tremendous amount of game and good hunting to be had with a .243W. Not all game is over 200 lbs and I wouldn't discount it. Blesbok, Impala, Dassies, wart hog, smaller antelope etc etc.. What does she want to shoot ? It would be my choice for a second rifle. You list plains game so I would suggest for those animals, a .308W with a brake for your wife.

Last edited:
I personally think a 308 is a better choice than a 7mm-08 and the recoil should be just fine for her.

The only issue with long action rifles is potentially the total weight. I wouldn't want to be carrying a rifle all day that weighed more than 8 pounds so I'm sure she is not going to want that either. That being said, light weight long actions can be found - but then you might get into recoil problems

Personally I'd just get a 308 and be done with it

I also like the 7mm-08 as a first choice. Shot one years ago. We were spotlighting jack rabbits and the rancher who's place we were on brought it. 120 grain bullets and almost no recoil. It really impressed me. Essentially the same case for the .308. Just larger diameter bullets. Both have great factory loads available and will kill anything on your list. Recoil should be relatively mild. Pick a good bullet and it will do a great job for you. Make sure that the stock fits her properly. Better recoil management and easier to shoot.
Bruce

On my 2009 plains game safari to Namibia I used my Winchester Model 70 chambered in .375 H & H magnum.
My ammunition was the Remington Premier Safari with the 300 grain Swift
A-Frame. The game I hunted ranged from a 100 lb. Springbok to a 1,000 lb. Zebra stallion and everything in between.
In my opinion, as a one gun battery for hunting Africa, the .375 H & H magnum can't be beat.

As others have mentioned, check with you PH. My daughter has used a PH's 7mm mag with a suppressor (cuts the recoil and report in half, approx) with excellent results. The can on the end of the barrel, while ugly, seems to help steady the rifle while on the sticks.

7mm-08 will be just fine, with a premium bullet and good shot placement.

I know firsthand :D

I bought my wife a Savage Lady Hunter 270WIN almost 2 years before our trip.
We practiced weekly, about 10-12 rounds per session.
By the 1 year point, she was ready to step up to 30-06 or 300WM.
We stuck with the 270WIN for trip and she did great.
When we got back, I sold the Savage and she now has a 300WM.
Not to mention shooting the 375H&H with no flinch or recoil issues.

Rifle decisions are very seldom final.
Adjustments can always be made or new ones acquired.
If your wife is looking to move up the 7mm-08, 7x57 and 270WIN are excellent choices.
308WIN and 30-06 will give options of reduced power loads along with ammo availability.
The .30 calibers would be my recommendation.

For you...a 375 caliber is in order (pick your flavor, H&H, Ruger...etc).
Especially if you are considering another return trip.
Eventually DG will end up on the menu. :D
Plan accordingly.

I would just hunt with whatever your wife uses at home. Dont forget your in a different environment hunting different animals the last thing you want is a different rifle. Shot placement is key. On my first hunt in Africa I took a 375 H&H for plans game and on my next trip I took my 7x64. Both rifles get used often in the UK where I live and hunt year round.

If shes ok with your 6.5 let her use that or better still just get her one to hunt deer with so she gets used to it. Its the KISS method. That way she will become familiar with the ballistics and how the wind will effect it etc. Just my 2 Pence worth

I would just hunt with whatever your wife uses at home. Dont forget your in a different environment hunting different animals the last thing you want is a different rifle. Shot placement is key. On my first hunt in Africa I took a 375 H&H for plans game and on my next trip I took my 7x64. Both rifles get used often in the UK where I live and hunt year round.

If shes ok with your 6.5 let her use that or better still just get her one to hunt deer with so she gets used to it. Its the KISS method. That way she will become familiar with the ballistics and how the wind will effect it etc. Just my 2 Pence worth
@norfolk shooter you are kinda missing the point here.
They are looking to expand their collection.
Embrace your inner-enabler and offer at least 2 or 3 options to these nice hunters.

@norfolk shooter you are kinda missing the point here.
They are looking to expand their collection.
Embrace your inner-enabler and offer at least 2 or 3 options to these nice hunters.
Deeply sorry old chap. Well in that case get her a 7mm any of them. Super ballistics, excellent density and drops game like the hammer of Thor!! The 7mm Rem mag is super flat shooting and you can load it with some exceptional pills such as the Nosler Accubond long range. But I do stand buy the advise to get her to hunt with the rifle she will end up taking with her.

Pop a can on the end it becomes a very sweet pussy cat of a round.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Swede. I absolutely love my 6.5x55, very little recoil with amazing performance on game.
Mate the Yanks have gone gaga over the CM the 55 has become so last decade even though its an amazing round. But yes I'm with you it is a VERY good cal

My own answer for exactly the same situation/question (wife and also daughters in my case) is the .270 Win.
  • Very mild recoil.
  • Very good ballistics.
  • Very lethal with 130 gr TTSX.
  • Universal ammo availability.
  • Well tested and proven.
A few years back I would have said 150 gr Nosler Partition, but I reckon that 130 gr TTSX that retain 95% weight are now the full equal (or frankly superior) to any previous generation 150 gr. I would not quibble if someone prefers the 150 gr TTSX or A Frame, but I believe the 130 gr TTSX (or any equivalent: GMX, ETip, etc.) will kill just as well and it does recoil a little less...

.280 Rem is a virtual ballistic twin, but ammo availability is much more limited, and both will shoot flatter than 7-08, 7x57, .308, 6.5x55, etc. without the commotion of 7 mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .26 & 28 Nosler, etc., and of course, 7x64 is always in the running.

In truth, all of them will work just fine :)

Last edited:
My wife harvested this Kudu at 100 yards with a single high neck shot at 100 yards.
270 WIN 150 grain Swift A-Frame flipped that switch.
Although I do agree with @One Day... on the 130 grain Barnes TTSX, very good as well.

Im considering loading TTSX in the 7x64 but I have a good killing round already

I was reading my copy of " Ballistics In Perspective " tonight ... written by 1 of my favorite authors , Mr. Mike LaGrange .
He has a beautiful chart at the end of his book . I thought that the " plains game " section might interest some of you , gentle men .
Screenshot_20191124-062517_01_01.png

Screenshot_20191124-062520_01.png

Screenshot_20191124-062524_01.png

Please bear in mind that this book is the 2nd edition ... which was published in 1990 ( The very 1st edition was published in 1983 ) . So the information may be a little dated . But hopefully , not detrimentally so . This gentle man is a professional culler of African elephants and headed the culling unit at Nyamanetchi in Zimbabwe . He has 6000 African elephants , to his name .

Need opinions for a rifle caliber for my wife with plains game. We booked a trip for plains game next year. This will be my second trip but my wife’s first. She’s never hunted before and I’d like to get her a rifle to use. I bought her a savage 243 which she’ll use for deer here in Oregon this year. I know that’s not enough gun for Africa. I have a 6.5cm longer range gun but we’ve got a few larger game on our list. Sable, zebra and waterbuck among a few others. We shoot competitive shotgun sports so I don’t she super recoil sensitive, but I want a rifle she can shoot comfortably. I’ve been thinking about 7mm-08. Heard good things but never shot one. Others include 6.5 per, or 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler. Give me some feedbacks guys.
You might think about .308 as it is one of the lowest recoil .30 cal. Or if you think it will work recoil wise 7mm Mag is a great choice. I do not recommend 6.5cm but I know others may disagree.

You might think about .308 as it is one of the lowest recoil .30 cal. Or if you think it will work recoil wise 7mm Mag is a great choice. I do not recommend 6.5cm but I know others may disagree.
I for one agree Phil the .308 is a fine choice as is any 7mm but the 7mm RM is VERY efficient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,