Dox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi Guys,

I am a bowhunter but want to buy a rifle for backup.

I mainly hunt plainsgame

Please advise me

Thanks

I agree a good 30-06 in 180 grain bullets will take any plains game in Africa. Ammo is widely available and fairly cheap compared to other calibers....and there are other grain combinations the 30-06 can shoot.

I'll echo what enysse and Louis have said - go with the .30-06. It's got enough horsepower, you can get a wide range of bullet types and weigths anywhere and it's pleasant to shoot.

Also, plan to invest in a good quality 'scope.

Seeing how your more of an archery guy, you are probably not wanting to spend big dollars on the rifle. IMO, the best rifle for the money out there is the Tikka T3 Lite series. Very accurate, very reliable and lightweight for carrying. It is not a thing of beauty, but that's why it's less expensive. Put a Leupold VX3 on 3.5-10 top and you'll have a very reliable and accurate rifle for about $1000. If you want to spend a bit less, then perhaps a Nikon scope.

I love my T3 lite in 7mm rem mag kicks like a mule but it will pound nails, best money for you buck

Last edited:
i have purchased the tikka t-3 light in 300wsm. it is a great calibre. i also own 30-06 amd 308 and several others. the 300wsm has a little more jam and thats why i would recommend it. i hunt moose in canada and plains game in africa and it performs well.

I'll throw in another vote for the Tikka T3. I have one in .270 topped with a zeiss and have taken whitetails, mulies, moose and elk with it with nothing going more than 10 yards. It's a tough little rifle for a good price and don't be fooled by people saying the plastic clip is "no good". Saskatchewan gets very cold and up to +40 in the summer and I've never had a problem with the clip. I also have a Sako in .300 win mag and would use the T3 over it anyday(not because of recoil).

If this is a carry a lot, shoot rarely, backup on your bow hunts, I would suggest a Remington model 7 in 308. It is light, compact and is pretty much as good as a 30-06 (It pains me to say that because I love the 30-06 for plains game). If you want to limit your cost go for a savage, I don't have personal experience with them but many people claim that they are the most accurate out of the box rifle you can get, and they are cheap. If you want a little less thump, go for a 7mm 08. While they are a little small for the larger plains game, just about everything has been taken with one.

I would stick to the 30-06 for the following reasons:
1. Variety of loads - if you reload you can load anything from a 130 grain for varmint hunting up to 220 grain for bigger animals in bushveld conditions.
2. Availability of factory ammuniton- you could walk into any firearm store in South Africa and buy factory ammo off the shelf.
3. The 7mm-08 is not popoular in South Africa and factory loaded ammo is not easy to come by. ( .270 and 25-06 is more readily available ).

My 2 cents worth.

Tikka T3 I have 3 tikkas they all shoot very well. will not go wrong with 30-06 cal.

I would go 308 or 30-06. But given the choice 30-06. In terms of which rifle?? Well seeing as its going to be used rarely anything should do. I would also back a T3 as its almost the same as a Sako (same factory (many of the same components too)).

Dox! Where are you?!!! Have I got a deal for you on a c. '11 rifle....

Yeah, Zombie thread for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!