Rifle/bullet combo for Namibia

Barnes have worked well for me so I'm inclined to say try them.
Also, have you tried the Nosler Partition? Very effective bullet and easy to find, usually. The 200 grain Partition would pack plenty of punch for all plains game.

Just returned from Namibia with my 30-06 and I used 180gr Norma Oryx.
I shot Blue and Black Wildebeest, Warthogs, Kudu and Springbok.
All bullets were one shot kills, even after a mistake on my part, the bullet stopped the animal.
All shots were pass throughs except the Kudu where I was able to recover the bullet.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this bullet if you want to hunt plains game.
Shots were taken from 40m to 220m.
Hard hitting and reliable.

_20171013_110414.JPG

Accubonds are very good bullets, especially at longer distances. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a jacket with an accubond. If mounting the jackel I would rather shoot it with a accubond than a ballistic tip.

Yes and ballistic tips can act like a grenade as I’ve experienced.
IMG_0092.JPG

i ordered a box of 196gn Norma Oryx projectiles this morning, will see how they shoot

Yes I’m a big fan of ballistic tips! They devastate the local whitetail bucks!

Another "Stay away from ballistic tips" I'll add Hornady stuff to the list as well. On three hunts in South Africa totaling a dozen one shot kills of 13 I've use some of Carter's original Trophy Bonded 180 gr .308's and Northfork 200 gr 308's.
The Northfork was responsible for a 1600 lb Eland at around 170 yards. Penetrated over 3 feet of Eland quartering away. Recovered 180 +/- grains from the offside shoulder. I like the .325 better than the 308 and if I owned one I would feed it Northforks. For this summer 180 NF's in the '06 for Leopard and 300 in the .378 for Sable, Eland, and whatever else. The PH wants .375 or above for the area we're hunting or I would have stayed with my .358 Norma elk gun with Northforks again.

Reactions: IvW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.