Rifle advice needed

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all. I'll be doing a SA plains game safari next July. Definitely taking a 28 nosler shooting 160 Accubonds. Need help choosing the second rifle. The options are 270wsm, 6.5x284, and 270win. Thoughts?

I'm more than happy with how my 270win performed with 130gr Barnes TTSX.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would the uses of the second rifle be? If it's a fill-in as insurance regarding the first rifle, why go with a different cartridge?

Any of them will work but I would take the 6.5X284

Second rifle would just be back up or if I decide to change it up some during the hunt.

What do u mean as "why go with a different cartridge in the first rifle?"

What would the uses of the second rifle be? If it's a fill-in as insurance regarding the first rifle, why go with a different cartridge?

I would just take one PG rifle if I were going by myself and didn't plan on DG during the hunt. I would instead bring an extra scope, odds are if there is a failure it will be in your optic. I would also be concerned with taking a rifle chambered in 28 Nosler, not that it isn't an outstanding chambering, but due to the ammunition availability should your ammo get "misplaced" along the way. If I were to bring the 28 Nosler, I would probably bring the 270 win along also as that ammo is readily available just in case. I have a lot of rifles that I would love to take to Africa but wouldn't just because of obscure ammunition. I stick to popular cartridges that I can get in a pinch just about anywhere. Out of your list I would say the 270 would be the most prevalent, you may be hard pressed to find the WSM and nosler. I personally love the 375 H&H due to ammo availability, range of ability (just in case the deal of a lifetime on DG comes up you are covered) and I only need to lug one rifle around the globe.
Good Luck on your trip,
Cody

Any of them will do, out of the choices presented, I would take a .270.

I love 6.5 as a caliber whether x54, x55 x284, .260 or .264.

Don't advise it though. Much of Africa has a 7mm minimum. 7x57 gets it all done.

I'd also warn you on the .280...better have proper headstamped brass or you're in for a surprise at customs.

Don't forget to bring solids for the little stuff!

Have an amazing hunt!

I have factory 28nosler ammo right now.

Is an Accubond or Barnes TTSX "solid" enough for he little guys?

@ltsheets I'm not sure. The goal for duiker, steenbok, suni, dik-dik and most importantly your Klipspringers are that you do not destroy the hide with an expanding bullet. I used .375 H&H Hydrostatic Solids on the little guys. (elephant/buffalo solids)

I'd suggest you pick your favorite target bullet that is most accurate (usually a Lapua Scenar or a Sierra BT for most rifles) and bring say 5-10 of them. If you really want to do some extra work, you can build loads so your solids match your softs precisely in their drops and zero out to say 250 yards or so. That's handy.

Otherwise, shoot the little stuff however you want and the Taxidermist will either work extra hard to repair it or he'll charge you for a replacement cape for the mount. Neither are the end of the world.

I shot a steenbok with a 175gr Nosler Partition in 7x57 at about 35 yards on my first trip. It was a good lesson in what not to do for me.

I used a 160 AB earlier this month on a Blue Duiker. (7mm SAUM at 3000 fps at 25 yds) The results were a little messy.... Probably going to need to be laying down when mounted...... At your velocities I'd suspect the TTSX will preform similarly. You have recieved some good advice. 1 rifle should be adequit. Your PH will have one you could use if needed. Your optic is more likely to fail. If you take a 2nd rifle the .270 is a great choice for all of the reasons above.
Good luck and have a great hunt. Please post a hunt report with pics when you get back. Bruce

Hello all. I'll be doing a SA plains game safari next July. Definitely taking a 28 nosler shooting 160 Accubonds. Need help choosing the second rifle. The options are 270wsm, 6.5x284, and 270win. Thoughts?

270 Win

You won't have a problem taking a .270 to South Africa. I'd recommend the .270Win for the backup due to the ammo concerns pointed out. Having said that, I think it a pretty rare occurrence that rifles arrive without their ammo. I'm sure it's happened, but not very often.

I definitely concur with @Bullthrower338 to take a backup scope. I've had a scope go down and not had a backup. On my last hunt in October, there was another gent in camp that had a Swarovski go down and he had no backup, he was not happy.

Well the way I see it having a backup rifle also supplies a backup scope

Well the way I see it having a backup rifle also supplies a backup scope

Yes and a good reason for taking two of your own guns.

Worrying about stuff that may not get there does not make much sense to me and for sure would not stop me from taking the guns I really wanted to on my trip. Plus almost all PH's will have a gun you can use if something does happen to yours when there.

I wish you much luck on your hunt BUT i see no reason to take two plains games rifles to africa because
1 the ph will have at least one rifle to use if yours goes down. 2 you are better off practicing with your primary gun off sticks and getting really good with it aka become one with the gun and dont F around with 2 that is asking for trouble in the heat of battle! Fear the man that shows up with one well worn gun that has battle scars and is just is like 2nd nature when you bring it up to shoot, not the guy who shows up with a battery full of new toys to try out. 3 if you want two take a DG gun 375 and up. 4 as some one said rifles rarely go down but scopes go down way more often, take an extra scope way less hassles to lug around etc. all that said in the end it is up to you if you will feel better and sleep well at night with 2 guns go for it!

Can I please be difficult and throw a spanner into the works? Your 28 Nosler has some serious legs, so why go with a second rifle achieving the same goal? If I may, take something that serves a different purpose, but can be used as a back up… My suggestion would be a .338 WM, assuming you won't ever be shooting DG. I know that wasn't your question, but I did say I was going to be difficult. Maybe just give it some thought? Always nice knowing that you have some extra insurance when that kudu/eland bull isn't standing at the greatest angle.

I appreciate this advice for one well used rifle and that describes my M70 270win which I've never missed an animal with. However, my 28nosler is built off a Montana action so functions just like my 270win. I can't say that for my 270wsm which is a browning or my 6.5x284 which is a custom built off a rem700 action. Definitely something to consider though.

This was in response to the advice to take one gun over 2.

I have all the confidence in the world that my 28nosler with 160ABs at 3300fps will take animal non-dangerous game where I'm heading. Wildebeest and Kudu will probably be the toughest game I take.

I kinda wanted to take my 6.5x284 bc it's a great gun for the longer distance and might be my most accurate gun...but it's heavy (14lbs) and if the ammo got lost I think I'd be screwed.

I took a gemsbok here in NM last yr with my 270wsm and 140ABs but I worry about ammo for it too if it gets lost.

Can I please be difficult and throw a spanner into the works? Your 28 Nosler has some serious legs, so why go with a second rifle achieving the same goal? If I may, take something that serves a different purpose, but can be used as a back up… My suggestion would be a .338 WM, assuming you won't ever be shooting DG. I know that wasn't your question, but I did say I was going to be difficult. Maybe just give it some thought? Always nice knowing that you have some extra insurance when that kudu/eland bull isn't standing at the greatest angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaneMayna

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you