Meat Recovery - NT

GerardV

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I've recently moved up to the NT and am intending on trying my luck for some buff or scrub bull in the the BCH areas this season. I have my rifle, my 4x4 and my BCH certification all squared away however I am somewhat concerned about my ability to recover the meat of any animal I may get.

Short of having a mobile trailer freezer, is it actually practical to recover meat up here? All previous hunting that I have done was in cooler climates and I imagine even getting the meat back to the vehicle in this heat would be a challenge.

Keen to hear any advice from the locals.

Few folks up there live on no meat other than scrub bull and buff, you can do it.

I'm not an NT local - but have hunted BCH a couple of times. Got meat out fine (and flew some of it back to Vic with me) last year. Backstraps from buff and scrubbers.

We had 2 big, heavy duty eskies, that we kept shaded, and the block ice just held up for the 3 days we were there. We replenished ice at Adelaide River on the way out.

The carry out of the scrubbers was a bit easier - we tipped them over closer to a track. The buff was a bit more work ... especially for me as an out of shape 'Mexican'. :rolleyes:

But worth it

img_5720-jpg.561049

img_5711-jpg.561050

Last edited:
I don't live in Australia but even in the temperate climates of Ontario and Montana, dealing with meat spoilage can be problematic in some situations. Our animals have hollow hair for insulation. Last year it was 57 degrees F when I shot a big buck in NOVEMBER. Skin came off that guy within two hours. Fortunately I had an insulated unheated garage available and the evenings were cold.

For early season hot weather, especially in the backcountry with horses, it is important to at least quarter the animal and get the meat hanging. Cheesecloth bags protect against flies. In hot conditions, get the skin off and bone out. Very important to get the bone out. For some reason the meat always seems to start spoiling near the bone. Seems to be a lot of disagreement about rinsing the meat with water so I'm not going there. I typically do not rinse meat in the field even if water is available.

@GerardV

I hunted the BCH this Sept/Oct with a fellow forum member @264 and I can tell you your biggest enemy is the heat and sun, some of the buff we shot started turning pink withing an hour of being killed.
IMG_2678.jpeg

If you can get them down close to a road and have the esky close by then you will be in good shape, however if you have to pack the meat any distance your going to be in trouble.

You should contact @264 he has a wealth of knowledge about the NT and dealing with meat in those conditions.

I'm doing research on hunting the NT of Australia, would love to get out there and have the opportunity. Any input or advice would be welcome from anyone on the forum. I'd like to spend a few weeks out in Australia trying a number of different hunting opportunities, camel, kangaroo, as well as normal NT game.

I don't live in Australia but even in the temperate climates of Ontario and Montana, dealing with meat spoilage can be problematic in some situations. Our animals have hollow hair for insulation. Last year it was 57 degrees F when I shot a big buck in NOVEMBER. Skin came off that guy within two hours. Fortunately I had an insulated unheated garage available and the evenings were cold.

For early season hot weather, especially in the backcountry with horses, it is important to at least quarter the animal and get the meat hanging. Cheesecloth bags protect against flies. In hot conditions, get the skin off and bone out. Very important to get the bone out. For some reason the meat always seems to start spoiling near the bone. Seems to be a lot of disagreement about rinsing the meat with water so I'm not going there. I typically do not rinse meat in the field even if water is available.
Very important point about getting the meat away from the bone, especially in temperature above 35-40 degrees F. I’m not a meat scientist, but they will say that the myoglobin reacts with the myosin, in the presence of the lactic acid in the meat and “starts turning “ ( very scientific term).

Basically, the marrow from the bone starts degrading the muscle when the blood stops flowing.

I'm doing research on hunting the NT of Australia, would love to get out there and have the opportunity. Any input or advice would be welcome from anyone on the forum. I'd like to spend a few weeks out in Australia trying a number of different hunting opportunities, camel, kangaroo, as well as normal NT game.

You’ll enjoy but note that buffs and camels are a mighty long way apart.
Kangaroos - need a permit
Kangaroo meat - very lean - ensure you cook well
Camel - very good - to me - it tastes a little like lamb
Buff- big big animals - meat is good
Note it’s the humidity and heat that are hard on you
Rifle suggestions if I may
Buff 375-416 300-400 grain bullets
Camel- preferably 338 but 300 Winchester magnum using 180-275 grain bullets will be okay
Roos - 223 -243 - 55-80 grain bullets
Roos are easy to put down even with chest shots
Donkeys - never eaten any
Calibers like 270-308-30/06 or above
Unbelievably tough critters though

Seasons - wet or dry
Don’t go into the NT in the wet season

Months NOT to hunt buff basically December to end of March
Camels and donkeys all year but the summers are brutal
Going after camels and donkeys - well equiped 4WD - plenty of fuel and water essential
Suggest a guided trip for all NT hunting
PM me if you have any questions
Only too pleased to help

Recovery of meat is doable but hard work. early in the dry season when temps are still cool meat dropped close to a track can be recovered but makes for a short trip.
Carrying meat as no vehicle recovery allowed. Carried to a track or hung in cool shady spot works.
quicker its on ice the better.
What I recover is close to a pick up point then on ice and home to the chiller.
Evening return trips we recover the better cuts and travel home in the cool with good air flow over the meat.
Hard work, but worth while........
recovering scrubber north block, early dry season early morning 2km back to car. Bullock Back straps and rump

Chris with back strap before walking out

rumps and back straps left in cool spot, covered in leaves

Buff back straps , nearly at the car 1.5km carry out

Central 550m from camp late arvo return, 27kg half

Mitch doing it easier with his half 27kg

Recovery of meat is doable but hard work. early in the dry season when temps are still cool meat dropped close to a track can be recovered but makes for a short trip.
Carrying meat as no vehicle recovery allowed. Carried to a track or hung in cool shady spot works.
quicker its on ice the better.
What I recover is close to a pick up point then on ice and home to the chiller.
Evening return trips we recover the better cuts and travel home in the cool with good air flow over the meat.
Hard work, but worth while........
recovering scrubber north block, early dry season early morning 2km back to car. Bullock Back straps and rump

Chris with back strap before walking out

rumps and back straps left in cool spot, covered in leaves

Buff back straps , nearly at the car 1.5km carry out

Central 550m from camp late arvo return, 27kg half

Mitch doing it easier with his half 27kg
Thanks for the reply and great effort! I'd hate to drop something only to see all the meat go to waste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatildaGra

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.