Retirement

Just retired at 52, 34+ years in Navy, spent many years of that away, cost a marriage and some $$$, children are grown and doing their things. Always dreamed of an African safari but needed a push to do it, in 2000 my dad went to bed one night at 56 and never woke up. That was the big push I needed, been to Africa 3 times (4 safaris) since and just booked for a month in summer of 2020. A hunting wife would be good but think they only exist on TV. Just sold my house and looking for that dream build with 1 large room for a big collection of "memories". Will work again but only doing what I love, with no stress and for my set hours. Life's way to short and nobody knows when its ending. Retire, live, have fun and don't look back. My 2c.

MB

The_Plan.jpg

I retired from the Navy just short of my 39th. birthday in 1996. I went to work full time a week later and have been working ever since with no plan to retire again. Now at age 60 I enjoy my job and it provides the means to enjoy my passion for hunting and shooting. I hunted Africa for my first time last August and plan to go back in 2021. I figure I'll work until I'm no longer physically able to and then try to find something productive to do other than sit around and watch the TV.

Well I have been retired for almost 1 year-- working on and around the ranch I bought 2 years ago and its getting old-- Still have a kid in HS (grad next year) and then its Africa here I come--
Just hunt more and it will keep you busy! Best of luck deciding. If you can’t make up your mind I’ll sell you some sheep for your ranch then wpyoull be plenty busy
Philip

Just hunt more and it will keep you busy! Best of luck deciding. If you can’t make up your mind I’ll sell you some sheep for your ranch then wpyoull be plenty busy
Philip
but you got fancy sheep -- wife wants to know if they will get along with all of our longhorns-- lol ==your good guy Phillip -- just read an article today on the impending resurgence of mutton and lamb on restaurant tables-- if this is real-- your my first call - i think-- butthat would be like a real job-- wouldn't it....

I retired from university teaching 4 years ago, at age 72. I had hunted in SA once before, in my 60s, and the first thing I did after retirement was schedule a hunt for buffalo, kudu, etc. in Zimbabwe. I'd love to go back, but I manage to fill up a lot of time now hunting deer, ducks, etc. in NC, plus spending a fair amount of money and time saltwater fishing. I am so busy I don't know how I ever got anything done while I was working. I'm 76 now, but I'd like to think there's one more buffalo in my future, and maybe a chance to sit around a camp fire listening to lions at twilight. Hell, I'd go back just for that!

Steven A, I’m a youngun compared to you (only 72). I hope I’m as active as you when I get old!:LOL:
I think you need to take a bit of time off and go take that buffalo while you still can! JMO
Keep it up! You’re very encouraging to us young guns!(y)

"As long as you keep going, you'll keep going. It's when you stop you're dead."

I think it is a lot of sense in that statement.. I am 57 and plan to work to 65 if all turn out well. My work schedule is 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off on an oil rig...I work 90 hours + weeks when at work..been in oil for 25 years now..

Gotta finance those african hunting trips... :LOL:

Steven A, I’m a youngun compared to you (only 72). I hope I’m as active as you when I get old!:LOL:
I think you need to take a bit of time off and go take that buffalo while you still can! JMO
Keep it up! You’re very encouraging to us young guns!(y)
Ridgewalker, I told my PH back in 2015, when we had climbed about the 101st rocky hill looking for a good kudu, that I was OK except for my right knee, which was showing its age. (It didn't like rocky hills.) Since then I've had a knee replacement, and my new steel and plastic knee likes hills and rocks just fine. Hang in there, young'un, and if your parts start wearing out, get new ones.

but you got fancy sheep -- wife wants to know if they will get along with all of our longhorns-- lol ==your good guy Phillip -- just read an article today on the impending resurgence of mutton and lamb on restaurant tables-- if this is real-- your my first call - i think-- butthat would be like a real job-- wouldn't it....
Lots of work but they won’t mind the Longhorns. Hope all is well!
Philip

I will throw in my thoughts on retirement.....I am only 36. But if I fell into a whole lot of money suddenly I would be retired and unlike some people I would know exactly what I would do. I would buy a super nice tractor to manage my land with and become a certified land manager/ consultant and I would certainly take a trip every few months somewhere to hunt, and spend time with my family including homeschooling my kids. I would also kill lots of turkeys. Lots and lots of turkeys. And add hunting public lands out west as one of my hobbies. Probably would start my own you tube hunting channel and mix in some tips/tactics to help others learn to hunt. Having a desk job has wreaked havoc on my physical shape so I would workout at least 2 hours a day if I had the time......I have a plan now I just need to win the lottery.

Men die when they retire. Find a part time job doing something rather than sitting around feeling bored and redundant.
Hobbies are fine but doing woodwork for example wears thin rapidly.
Or

Do charity work such as reading to the aged.

Men die when they retire. Find a part time job doing something rather than sitting around feeling bored and redundant.
Or

Well, I'm still kickin' regardless how much my body keeps trying to tell me I've overstayed my welcome here. Guess I'm still stubborn about some things.

I'm 51. I have 33 years with my company which is kroger as a produce manager.
I have no plans to retire ever. Basically I won't have enough retirement to go on trips if I do. And I get bored at home with more than 1 day off per week.
Plus I spend everything I make on trips so I need to continue working for my cheap life insurance so my kids get something when I kick it.

Or

I've been retired now for 12 years and haven't worked a day since I walked out of the door. I have also enjoyed life more in those years than can be imagined.

There is no need to go find even a part time job. Why would I want to go back to work and be on the bottom of the totompole where I would have to fight for time off to do the things that I want to do.

I also have a hard time finding time to do things that I should be doing because I am doing what I want.

Just retired for the second time. First from the Army and now from a second career in workforce development. Been to Namibia 2x, set to go again this year and then New Zealand in the fall. I have an uncle with a farm so lots of stuff to do if I get bored traveling. Friends from the military all say come visit so that's what we intend to do. Financial advisor calls these "the salad days." He looked me in the eye and said do what you want / like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.