Resurrecting the 270 Win

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Alexandro Faria, May 13, 2019.

1. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    One can build a projectile that will expand if “fired” from a slingshot. That doesn’t mean that it will penetrate adequately to be of any utility. My problem with nearly all the sub-sonic loads is that their effective operating envelope - driven by trajectory and adequate penetration make them of questionable practical value for hunting game animals. Even with vermin, I think we have a responsibility to kill quickly. Regardless of weight for caliber, an expanding sub-sonic load is challenged if trying to penetrate a boar’s shoulder except at very close range. Even in combat, a suppressed sub-sonic weapon is considered a tool for essentially pistol range applications.

gesch, Dr Ray and bruce moulds like this.

2. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I find all the "If" speculation on the timing of the .270 Winchester vs the .280 Remington amusing, since the 7X64mm Brenneke predates both those cartridges. The bigger "If" to me is "If the 7X64mm Brenneke had jumped the Atlantic Ocean shortly after WWI, would the .270 Winchester and / or the .280 Remington ever have become recognized standardized cartridges?"

gesch likes this.

3. ldmay375

ldmay375 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    As stated prior, the 270 Winchester still seems popular in my parts of Alaska.
    Last week a friend's daughter filled her cow moose permit. Per his feedback, 270 Win, at about 75 yds, cow pretty much broadside, after shot travel distance about 25 yds, 1 rib going in, massive internal destruction, exit opposite side, Remington 150 grain factory load, believed to have been pointed Core Lokt bullet. I saw the picture and this was a sizable mature cow.

gesch likes this.

4. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I have to echo @Red Leg, no need to resurrect it. 270 has been a very popular caliber for many years. I love mine and have killed everything from whitetail and mule deer to exotics and pg in Africa with mine. I actually shoot a little lighter bullet than most, 130 grain, and never had an issue. It’s been a go to caliber for just about everything within reason for me. I’d have no issues taking it elk hunting or kudu hunting. I have to say the heavy bullets mentioned , I.e. 180 gr, just seem unnecessary. 150 would be about the heaviest that would be practical. By the time you custom built a rifle to shoot something like 180’s I think there are better options. The 270 is what it is and I think it is extremely effective for what it was designed for.

Trogon, jeanes, Red Leg and 2 others like this.

5. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    I've been slowly getting back into reloading. My current project is to work up a load for a son-in-law's 270. We are going to Montana in 2020 for an elk hunt and I'm going to work up a load with 150 gr Swift A-Frames.

Mr. Zorg and gizmo like this.

6. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I’d say that will serve him well. Good luck and I hope he whacks a monster.

Mr. Zorg and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

7. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    .270 Winchester....? a damned good coyote gun!

:whistle:

HWL

8. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:

Ah, Another Elmer Keith convert.

HWL likes this.