Remington primers

ZooKpr

AH member
Reaction score
I have been using Remington primers since I started reloading 30 years ago. They don’t seem very popular from what I read. I only have a few thousand left. When they are gone what would be the best primer to use. Assuming the supply is there.

Thanks

I usually work with both Federal and CCI. I have a quite a few CCI since they were on sale when I walked by the display in the store.

I primarily use Winchester... but these days you can’t exactly be picky... better just grab whatever is available

Whatever you can find and good luck! I prefer Win, CCI, Fed in that order. Have never used Rem primers, never had to. If I see some these days I would snag them.

For large rifle (bolt gun) I've always had a preference for Federal.
For small rifle, I use Remington because that's what I found in quantity a number of years ago.

I've used far more Remington primers than ay other brand. No complaints, when used in any of my bolt action rifles, even though I am not a Remington fan generally.
I use Federal primers in my SxS, O/U, Combination and single shot rifles, because Federal's more sensitive priming mixture gives me more reliable ignition in those rifles. I have had a few rare misfires with Remington primers that were fired in my double rifles.
CCI primers have been problem free and reliable for me. Winchester had problems a while ago with pierced cups and damage to bolt face from gas leaks.

I have been using Remington primers since I started reloading 30 years ago. They don’t seem very popular from what I read. I only have a few thousand left. When they are gone what would be the best primer to use. Assuming the supply is there.

Thanks
@ZooKpr.
That's all I use and have done for a long time and never had any problems, even using the 9 1/2 standard LR primer to set off 66 grains of superformance ball powder.
Bob

In the past, I have used whatever I've had the most of in one lot... for the purpose of consistency. Mostly, I have used Winchester and Remington primers over the years with no problems. I know that some target shooters went with the Federal Match primers. I tried them but could detect no advantage or difference with them other than being a little more expensive and a little harder to find. Sometimes simple nomenclature sells I guess. Not that long ago, many in the accuracy game were using standard LR or SR Remington primers. I have a good supply of bricks of Remington standard LR primers for standard LR loads, have used a bunch of them for all manner of standard loads and cartridges and have never had an issue.

For big magnum cases I have drifted over to CCI #34s. CCI designed them for military type ammo where slam fires were a potential with either dirty or slightly out of time auto loaders. By chance, along the way I stumbled upon some info about the CCI #34 primer stating that it had the same amount of poop and compound as their Magnum primer- huh? Makes sense for severe conditions use military ammo especially that loaded with ball powder- OK. I tried some in a couple of large magnum cartridges and- OK huh- worked fine! Also by sheer chance I discovered the CCI #34 primer worked best in one individual bolt rifle that had, at the time, a weak striker spring and would occasionally fail to fire with other primers like Win and Rem. Another- huh?- On the surface that didn't make sense. I have since replaced the weak spring which fixed that issue but that experience pointed to the odd conflicting situation of.... easier to ignite but harder to (slam fire) ignite CCI #34- huh? Not sure about how to reconcile that conundrum other than maybe the compression specs of the compound and anvil in the #34 along with the cup specs allow for a better pin strike in the particular case I was loading in the rifle with the weak spring... I dunno? Nonetheless, that experience pointed to the basic reliability of ignition of the CCI #34 so now that is my primary LR Mag primer. I was able to build a large supply of CCI #34s along with an already large supply of Rem and Win standard LR primers before the latest shortage really took hold.

In April this year I ran into an old acquaintance who probably has fired more reloaded rounds and has as much experience with various calibers as any one I know of, the past editor of one of the largest loading and cartridge reference books on the market. I asked him about the CCI #34 performance and what I had discovered. He immediately said oh yes and was very familiar with the apparent conundrum of the "ignitability" of the CCI #34. He supported my suspicions about the reasons and said he had discussed that very issue with the people at CCI and they confirmed the information. Whoda thunk it!

Right now, given the state of affairs- grab any you can find. They all work :)

Last edited:
I primarily use Winchester... but these days you can’t exactly be picky... better just grab whatever is available

As stated above I primarily use Winchester, especially in LR Magnum and CCI for standard LR.

Having said that, the supply is the determining factor now and if given the chance I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the known manufactures that I could get my hands on.

I've used Fed, Win, Rem, CCI and a few foreign makes (shotshell primers) and other than adjusting for variations in ballistics - the Remingtons were slightly milder, They were all acceptable with one caveat- I haven't used CCI in any serious load (practice/range time is fine) since I had the crosshairs on a beautiful 4 pt Mule deer and the rifle went CLICK. I took the misfired shell to Dave Andrews of CCI. The shell was dissected and the cause was a defect in the anvil- a crack at the juncture of the three legs. Rather than cause the compound to be smashed by the firing pin, the anvil collapsed. He gave me a thousand primers and was sorry that it happened at a crucial moment. No CCIs used for hunting loads- although it was a one in a million event and nearly 40 years ago. But to the question, I have found all US makes of primers acceptable within the limits of their characteristics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you