Reloading or factory loads for Dangerous Game?

If reloads are not CRIMPED to factory standard, then setback of bullets in the magazine could become an issue if you really have to pour on the repeat shots at DG. Lee makes a great "factory" collet type crimper. On the other hand, for the 458 WM, old caked powder is the biggest danger in older factory loadings, with a history of squib firings the result, so in that case, reloads all the way.

I've done both and had the same success. Pick a quality ammunition or invest the time to learn how to reload properly and you will have no problems with an edge to the reloads as they are not mass produced and you can spend the time on each bullet to make sure its exactly what you want.

HH

If you have experience and really know all the ins-outs of reloading and how to reload reliable ammo then reloading allows for using exactly the type of ammo and bullet you want. If there is an ammo foul up then it is 100% on the reloader :) I have not hunted with a factory round, except shotgun and 22 RF, since about 1970. I carry only factory ammo for self defense handgun.

Sorry... I´m writting without reading all the post! I´m a little short of time, but...
I´m a reloader man...
I know all about the components I use in my charges... I put EVERY primer in the pocket by myself carefully, visual inspection all the time, the powder are charged in the case after a detailes and precise measure with a precission scale...
I NEVER... I REPEAT... NEVER trust more and put my life in the hands (If I should use the word) of a MACHINE... A factory load are mechanizaised and there are many process in the line to say "it´s more trusty a factory bullet than a handmaid bullet"...
I only trust and put my life ON ME... I never trust more in a machine than in milself

Last edited:
Even though I can hand load and will do it without hesitation if the situation calls for it, I generally prefer to go for factory loads whenever possible. Because I have much more faith in the loading abilities of professionals than my own.

So (in terms of factory loaded ammunition which is currently being manufactured),

for 7x57mm Mauser… I really like Hendershots Custom ammunition loaded with the 175Gr Hornady Interlock expanding bullet.

for .375 Holland & Holland Magnum… I really like Hendershots Custom ammunition loaded with the 300Gr Swift A Frame expanding bullet and the 300Gr Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solid.

for .600 Nitro Express, I really like Superior Custom Ammunition loaded with 900Gr Hammer bullets ( all copper hollow points which are identical to the Barnes TSX bullet) and 900Gr Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids.
Not to derail, but having tested and hunted a lot of Hammer bullets in various calibers, Hammers are not identical to Barnes TSX in any way. Hammers fragment the front end off into multiple petals radiating outward and the shank continues on like a solid with straight line penetration. The dual radius driving band design also produces less contact pressure in the bore generating greater velocities for the same comparable weight bullet.

Not to derail, but having tested and hunted a lot of Hammer bullets in various calibers, Hammers are not identical to Barnes TSX in any way. Hammers fragment the front end off into multiple petals radiating outward and the shank continues on like a solid with straight line penetration. The dual radius driving band design also produces less contact pressure in the bore generating greater velocities for the same comparable weight bullet.
Thank you for elaborating on this matter. I should have worded my comment better. It LOOKS identical to a Barnes TSX bullet from the exterior.

Reactions: RLL
I have never been interested in reloading rifle rounds. When I was still shooting several thousand shotgun shells a year, I did reload those, but that was purely an economic consideration rather than any particular pride in product (pretty clear if you looked at one of my shells after multiple reloads. :rolleyes:

However, the best quality and best performing rifle ammunition is important to me. So, my solution is a custom loading service. I have used Hendershots in Maryland for more than 20 years. Lance does brilliant work, and I have used his ammunition on all my African hunts. He has also developed all the loads for my double rifles - all of which regulate beautifully at 100 yards with his loads. The one exception is the .470 which is set up with iron sights and regulates at 70.

In 40+ years of hunting, I have shot exactly one animal (except for birds and small game and when OH required a shotgun with rifled slugs for deer) with a factory load.
I like choosing the bullet for the job and developing the best load for my rifle.

Handloads will vary from poor quality to the very highest quality depending on the reloader. I think that factory ammo is of a more standard( machine fed) quality. Factory will have some faulty rounds, the percentage will depend on the company's QC.

I only shoot handloads on DG that i have loaded. But i would also use factory if needed. Handloads also allow me to choose the bullet and not push the boundaries in terms of velocities and pressures.

I have never been interested in reloading rifle rounds. When I was still shooting several thousand shotgun shells a year, I did reload those, but that was purely an economic consideration rather than any particular pride in product (pretty clear if you looked at one of my shells after multiple reloads. :rolleyes:

However, the best quality and best performing rifle ammunition is important to me. So, my solution is a custom loading service. I have used Hendershots in Maryland for more than 20 years. Lance does brilliant work, and I have used his ammunition on all my African hunts. He has also developed all the loads for my double rifles - all of which regulate beautifully at 100 yards with his loads. The one exception is the .470 which is set up with iron sights and regulates at 70.
The key word here is custom. I have used them before in my bolt guns with excellent results. I place them at least in my mind as a reloader given their attention to each shell.

If reloads are not CRIMPED to factory standard, then setback of bullets in the magazine could become an issue if you really have to pour on the repeat shots at DG. Lee makes a great "factory" collet type crimper. On the other hand, for the 458 WM, old caked powder is the biggest danger in older factory loadings, with a history of squib firings the result, so in that case, reloads all the way.
I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies for many of my loads.

The powder caking you speak of I have seen when compressed loads of ball type powders are used. The age of the loads is also a major contributing factor, IMO.

Sorry... I´m writting without reading all the post! I´m a little short of time, but...
I´m a reloader man...
I know all about the components I use in my charges... I put EVERY primer in the pocket by myself carefully, visual inspection all the time, the powder are charged in the case after a detailes and precise measure with a precission scale...
I NEVER... I REPEAT... NEVER trust more and put my life in the hands (If I should use the word) of a MACHINE... A factory load are mechanizaised and there are many process in the line to say "it´s more trusty a factory bullet than a handmaid bullet"...
I only trust and put my life ON ME... I never trust more in a machine than in milself
There will never be 100% reliability no matter if every bullet has primers and powder in it.
you can minimise it but won’t ever not have ammo that will go off everytime you pull the trigger

I'm curious what you're doing for ammo on DG hunts. I certainly reload for practice and I have used both factory loads and reloads for the actual DG hunt. There has been some pride of ownership in using my own reloads for any of my hunts. However, how many of you reload for DG versus going to factory loads for the actual hunt? I don't have quality control issues with my reloads but I wonder about the extra peace of mind from using factory loads. We're talking about DG hunts where the range is typically 50 yards or usually much closer. It's not an accuracy question but it is a reliability question. I'm always hoping I haven't fouled a primer somehow. Hasn't happened yet!

I'm thinking about this as I prep loads for buffalo and elephant this summer. I will be using reloads for the leopard as that load isn't available off the shelf.
There are reloading experts on AH. That said unless you load and shoot animals with your reloads regularly then you should use quality factory ammo. The number of dangerous incidents with DG and reloads is legendary.

There will never be 100% reliability no matter if every bullet has primers and powder in it.
you can minimise it but won’t ever not have ammo that will go off everytime you pull the trigger
Agree...
So, I prefer to trust in my own bullets...
I don´t make DG in africa, but in my country yes, I do, and mi trigger ALWAYS makes the BANG hahaha
Handloadig are a practice misunderstanding by very much people, much users reload for the costs, or in order to produce alot of ammo... the hunters make quality bullets, very hard to duplicate with a factory machine

I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies for many of my loads.

The powder caking you speak of I have seen when compressed loads of ball type powders are used. The age of the loads is also a major contributing factor, IMO.
I get the need for crimping in bolt action but for my DR no need for extra crimping whatsoever after owning and shooting five of them…just not needed

Anyone with a heavy recoiling double who reloads could do a test to see if crimping is needed or not. I can find no reason for not crimping any hunting ammo. Load a batch for range practice but don’t apply a crimp. Load both barrels but only fire one. Open and load the just fired barrel. Do this two or three times. Check the OAL length of the round that has been subject to the recoil but not fired. Compare that length to the OAL all the rounds were originally loaded to. Recoil is subjecting the unfired round to inertial pull that may increase its OAL. The only thing stopping the bullet in the unfired chamber, if it is being “pulled” by recoil, is the bullet’s ogive shoulder at the shank contacting the lands in the leade. I think a variable OAL caused by inertial pull would not be the best for accuracy and may increase pressure if the ammo is loaded for some freebore jump and inertial pull forces the second barrel, unfired bullet into contact with the lands.

This phenomenon is common in revolvers and one of the reasons revolver ammo is always crimped.

Additionally, crimping prevents bullets from being setback during rough handling.

The LEE FCD is the best tool for applying a consistent crimp and will not decrease or cause variable neck tension as common roll crimping sometimes can when done by the crimp shoulder in the bullet seating die.

'NEVER had a problem with a handload. 'Wish I could say the same about so-called "Premium" Factory Ammo. Handload. LOL The entire hunt is dependent upon YOU. Imagine if your workplace performance and quailty was entirely dependent upon YOU. You'd own your own business and prosper! ;) LOL Anything else is smoke and mirrors B$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!