Reloading or factory loads for Dangerous Game?

Green Chile

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
I'm curious what you're doing for ammo on DG hunts. I certainly reload for practice and I have used both factory loads and reloads for the actual DG hunt. There has been some pride of ownership in using my own reloads for any of my hunts. However, how many of you reload for DG versus going to factory loads for the actual hunt? I don't have quality control issues with my reloads but I wonder about the extra peace of mind from using factory loads. We're talking about DG hunts where the range is typically 50 yards or usually much closer. It's not an accuracy question but it is a reliability question. I'm always hoping I haven't fouled a primer somehow. Hasn't happened yet!

I'm thinking about this as I prep loads for buffalo and elephant this summer. I will be using reloads for the leopard as that load isn't available off the shelf.

I have never gotten into re-loading so I am limited to factory loaded ammo. I have confidence that a factory loaded cartridge with a premium bullet will be just fine. There are factory loads to suit most folks tastes. I do admire those that can hand load and get their ammo dialed in to their particular rifle for various situations. It certainly is a good skill to have.

I'm a huge fan of reloading. It lets me practice a lot more and tailor the loads as needed. I'm just thinking about it specifically in terms of DG hunts (not the practice for it). Factory issues can also happen of course. I've had 1 misfire on a factory turkey shell but never on a premium factory center fire cartridge.

I've only ever used factory loaded ammo, I haven't the patience to begin the process of hand loading. I acknowledge hand loading will produce better results, but it's not for me.

I have never and likely will never go on a DG hunt. But if I ever do I would be completely confident in my reloads that I have developed for the rifle that I would take.

There is something satisfying about taking a animal with a round that you loaded yourself.

I don't feel like there are right or wrong answers here. We will have our various reasons, stories, examples, etc. If I could shoot as much for the same cost as reloading, I would probably do that but of course that's not realistic.

I reloaded on my first elephant hunt and have many other times for various hunts. I’ve probably done more hunts with reloads than with factory ammo. I’m sitting here now with some 375 H&H components for a 2nd rifle on my buff hunt in July.
IMG_3183.jpeg

I hunt all my deer, bear and moose with my re-loaded ammunition. I shot my Blue Wildebeest with my PH’s rifle with his re-loads. Both my buddies PH and my PH shot only re-loads, they are just a reliable as factory and sometimes even better.

In the absolute majority of cases I have used reloaded cartridges for my buffalos and elephants hunts. I never shot other dangerous game.

That's why I can still remember when and for what I used factory loads. I only shot five buffalos with factory loads, two with old 10,75x68 ammo from RWS and three with old 9,3x74R ammo from DWM. Those were remainders that had to be used. I shot the other buffalos and all the elephants with reloaded cartridges. I don't have a choice with some cartridge anyway, there are no ammo for a long time. On the other hand, the reloading of very expensive ammunition, as is unfortunately so often the case with the Big Bores, allows a regular practice and to firing a lot more cartridges than if one were only dependent on factory loads.

Factory loads can go wonky too. I have experienced it. Use once fired brass and measure your powder carefully. Should be fine. The PH is always there to keep you out of harm's way with his experienced gun in the tinfoil-hat unlikely event one of your reloads fails.

That's a good point, depending on what kind of pressure you have to deal with. The ability to drop that a bit can be very helpful.

That's a good point, depending on what kind of pressure you have to deal with. The ability to drop that a bit can be very helpful.
Right. Just how much extra gas is needed to punch a buffalo with 400 grains at 50 yards max? Weatherby has always had a reputation for overdoing things so I'm not surprised their ammo ran into trouble in hot weather.

I don't max out my reloads anyway looking for every fps velocity. Most of my loads are middle of the road for reliability/performance and reasonable use of powder.

I have learned to test and develop my hand loads during the hotter months of summer, then when our big game seasons come here in North America I am fine. The same with Africa, if your loads are good to go during North Americas summer heat then they will be fine in Africa, pressure wise.

I have only been on a couple of DG hunts and used loads that I assembled. I would call them handloads because the cases were unfired but I have no problem with fired cases that I know the history of. I am not saying my quality control is better or even equal to any of the big names but I don't mind seeing the powder charge in the case before the bullet is seated. If I didn't assemble the cartridge I will run it over the scale for an overall weight and deduct the case/bullet weight. Makes me feel better knowing there is at least X amount of powder in that cartridge.

No matter who assembled the cartridges I run them all through the magazine and chamber before they go anywhere.

For self defense I only keep factory ammunition in the magazine or cylinder for legal reasons. I had a fresh box of factory Double Tap 10mm once that would not fire even though the primers were getting struck more than adequately by the firing pin with two different pistols. The manufacturer examined that box of ammunition and determined that the primers had no anvil. That could have turned out bad. A quick glance and you can see the anvil and priming compound in any primers you are going to load.

There are good legal reasons for not using handholds for self defense.

I'm working on some loads now for my 500ne and 500j that are not available from factory loads. Even with the high cost of powder and premium bullets, it's still cheaper than or equal to factory ammo cost.

Like @Dirtdart points out factory has been known to have issues too. The most important thing is test your ammo factory or reloads. Make sure they cycle through mag and chamber without issues. If a lot number changes on factory ammo, (reloads) powder, primer, bullets, brass, recheck everything again. Use the same process as you did the first time.

I would have no problem using either or as long as it has been tested .02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you