Reloading help? Velocities

I'm not hung up on the velocity but it's interesting. If my loads have an ES of up around that indicates to me that the load should be more consistent.
If that majority are in the mid range I could just split the difference or do an average .
I believe it has highlighted a fair difference that likely affects accuracy or potential.
If I can get the velocity consistent I can perhaps work out trajectory.
If nothing else it's identified that I should look into my procedure and setup.
Accuracy is more important for now but having relooked at my setup I'm hoping to test these again.
I have carefully loaded 18 rounds individually weighed . These are 3 lots of 6 to test 6 - three shot groups in 3 weights.
So I get to test each charge weight twice in 3 shot groups.

CBH Australia, are you really looking for minimum ES or are you most interested in minimum group size? I wanted tp pose this question several days ago. I did ask what other loads your fellow competitors were using but you never answered that question. Lots of 308 shooters in the States use 4895 and a 168 Gr. Sierra Match King bullet.

CBH Australia, are you really looking for minimum ES or are you most interested in minimum group size? I wanted tp pose this question several days ago. I did ask what other loads your fellow competitors were using but you never answered that question. Lots of 308 shooters in the States use 4895 and a 168 Gr. Sierra Match King bullet.
I'm interested in shooting better so I guess group size.
I expect consistency in velocity may aid accuracy.

I'm not competitive but working with what I have to practice and learn.

I have a heap of Hornady Z-Max in 168gn to use up.

I'm sure it's ok given I'm not competitive and I need to get my loads and technique sorted. Loads will differ with different projectiles but I should get these going for now.

The idea is to improve technique and then the gear.

I have ar2206h and ar2208 (Varget)

I use Varget for 178 ELD-X and 175 Berger VLDH. powder charge is different between the 2, but ES is around 13 fps for both. MV for both of those is 2610 or so (I worked those loads up a number of years ago, so I don't remember exactly). Out of the 24" fluted barrel on my Savage 10 FLPC, MOA on good days is around .4, and on less good days, about .7

but I've also gotten that sort of accuracy out of hunting bullets, too. I reload 180 gr Grand Slams for both my boys' 308s, and they both shoot single ragged holes with 5 shot groups.

For theirs, I use Federal cases, and for mine, Hornady.

Also have loaded up a bunch of SMK 168s using Win748 and a bunch of Speer Gold Dot 168 using CFE223. ES was quite a bit bigger with both of those than for Hornadys and Bergers, but I was wearing out a 10" gong last weekend from 550 yds - the misses were misjudging wind. And I'm getting pretty close to 2900 fps with the Gold Dots, and about 2750 with the SMKs.

I said all that to say this: with the Hornady and Berger loads, I weight cases and bullets. More than a 5% deviation from published weight (brass and bullets) and they don't get used, at least not for precision shooting. Amazingly, Hornady bullets and brass, and Federal brass, have been very consistent.

I don't believe that would be giving you an ES of 100, but it could be a contributing factor. The bugger in LD is always having to deal with multiple variables.

If you can get your hands on Speer Gold Dots, I recommend them. BC of .572 is higher than ELD-X 178, VLDH 175, and considerably higher than SMK 168 (around .47, I think)

I didn't read every reply in this thread. But noticed to shoot the same brass, not just brand, but how many times it's been shot. Personally I would just do new brass that you've run through the sizing die to ensure uniformity. Reducing the number of variables as much as you can is just a good thing to do.

One very simple thing that I didn't see mentioned is the dang battery in the chrono. Even if the unit comes on and seems to be working properly, use a fresh battery. That alone may help how far down the rabbit hole you go and it's easy. My experience with this has shown to make an improvement in my results. Furthermore if you're borrowing the unit from a friend, it's a little payback to him to have the fresh battery.

Cheers to @PHOENIX PHIL , I am one for returning gear in better condition than I borrowed it.
Good thing is now he sold it to me $150 with spare sky screen bits.
It was a spare to him, I think he bought it offf a mate to help out or something.

Ok, I can try a fresh battery next I use it. I wasn't concerned about the machine it recorded good results on my friends 6xr with his loads.

Im working with new, now once fired Nosler brass on one of my rifles .280ai, I have some new Lapua loaded for my .308 every charge measured on Ohaus 10/10 scales individually.

So, my friend I kinda knew from when he owned a Deli years ago. We met on the range recently chatted and we done the courteous thing of allowing time to set up targets etc.
For that he said, would you like to borrow the chronograph , I was just testing this spare one.

Now, I need some ballistic as software,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross