Reloading 9.3x64

I had no problem getting an accurate load with Swift A-Frames (286gr) in combination with RS60. When using either GRT or Quickload velocity was underestimated. Both assume the initial pressure being very high (750 bar). Reducing initial pressure to 250 bar gave much better results. After talking with Reload Swiss they agreed with my findings and said they heard similar reports before. I get about 775 m/s (about 2550 fps) from a 600mm (23,6") barrel.
Perform outstanding.
My 26" barrel would help in gaining just few more fps and reach the 2600 mark - flatter than many 308 with the punch of a 375, and much less recoil, in a lighter gun...

My 26" barrel would help in gaining just few more fps and reach the 2600 mark - flatter than many 308 with the punch of a 375, and much less recoil, in a lighter gun...

That is not how it works, if you look at recoil calculators. Most of them do not list bullet diameter. So if you have a 320gr bullet moving 2600fps out of a 9 pound rifle. It is going to feel the same weather it came from a 9.3 or a 375. Sure their are a other factors that influence the recoil impulse. For the most part you will not see a difference in recoil.

In Europe, the rifles caliber 9,3x64 are very often considered to be rifles with strong recoil. It may be that a lot is mainly due to the weapons in itself. Many rifles caliber 9,3x64 are more comparable to rifles caliber 9,3x62 in terms of size and weight, unlike other weapons of comparable calibers. However, it may be that rifles caliber 9,3x64 have more recoil than rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum, I had that feeling at times, but I am not absolutely sure.

That is not how it works, if you look at recoil calculators. Most of them do not list bullet diameter. So if you have a 320gr bullet moving 2600fps out of a 9 pound rifle. It is going to feel the same weather it came from a 9.3 or a 375. Sure their are a other factors that influence the recoil impulse. For the most part you will not see a difference in recoil.
Sure, you're absolutely right.
But, I would say, there are different kinds of recoil - or, better, how the recoil is perceived.
For example, I have a 300Wby, and an 8x68. Same rifles (Sauer 90), same barrel lenght. The 8x68 produces a lot, really I mean a lot, less recoil than the Wby. I would say the 8 also has a straight kind of recoil, not a "jumping" one. And, it's a very hot load. So I guess, there's something in cardrige design, cartridge shoulder, kind of powder and how much it is, burning velocity and so on, that in way or another influences the perceived recoil.
I suppose the same could be say comparing 9,3x64 and 375 HH, despite I can't prove that, not having shot the two calibers in the same rifles.

Sure, you're absolutely right.
But, I would say, there are different kinds of recoil - or, better, how the recoil is perceived.
For example, I have a 300Wby, and an 8x68. Same rifles (Sauer 90), same barrel lenght. The 8x68 produces a lot, really I mean a lot, less recoil than the Wby. I would say the 8 also has a straight kind of recoil, not a "jumping" one. And, it's a very hot load. So I guess, there's something in cardrige design, cartridge shoulder, kind of powder and how much it is, burning velocity and so on, that in way or another influences the perceived recoil.
I suppose the same could be say comparing 9,3x64 and 375 HH, despite I can't prove that, not having shot the two calibers in the same rifles.

Are the 2 rifles weight the same? If the 8X68 is heavier that would have the effect you are speaking about. Weight makes a difference.

That's about what I meant.

The weight of the rifles plays a role, with the majority of the rifles caliber 9,3x64 are lighter and more fine than the rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum. The intended use is but not the same. Rifles caliber 9,3x64 are in Europe primarily in use for shooting heavy game of our countries and not for hunting bigger game in Africa. Different with the rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum where there is a completely different gunsmith tradition behind it.

Are the 2 rifles weight the same? If the 8X68 is heavier that would have the effect you are speaking about. Weight makes a difference.
Yes, same weight - actually the 8 is like 100 (+/-) grams less due to the different riflescope. Don't know : it's something not easy to explain or to prove, but I believe cartridge design plays a role in recoil.

I recently bought Nosler Accubond (250gr, retailer Grauwolf) for my 9,3x64, which works quite perfect with the same point of impact as the 286gr Partition.
If you need bullets I can also recommend Wim Degol in Belgium (contact available on request), brass ist available at least at SHM.

I would be honoured to paticipate in this 9,3x64 appreciation society. Currently busy to design with professional help and a German forum a reduced load for plains game hunt . Designated bullet is Nosler Accubond, 250 grains. Any recommendations welcomed.

Did I understand this correctly? Why would you want to use a reduced charge to hunt PG? I have taken 20+ PG up to Eland with my 9.3-64 and I would probably say that there is no reason to reduce the load, quite the opposite. If you want to hunt Tiny Ten, use FMJ.

P1010929.JPG

I also have never understood why one need reduced loads for hunting light game species with big bore rifles. With the very big bores you don't even need FMJ bullets because the SP bullets are often so thick walled that they don't expand at all. I have shot plain game with my rifles 460 WBY-Magnum and 500 Schüler, and full loads. It does not matter whether I used a SP or a FMJ bullet, the working was the same.

By the way, the cartridge 9,3x64 is not a big bore cartridge and that's why it is even more incomprehensible that people are trying to use reduced loads with this 9,3mm cartridge and its very good external ballistics which allows shots at long range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you