AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Im not sure if anyone has watched this video, but I saw it today and it highlights the hazards of fast animals and minimal visibility.

Polish DG! Any animal that is chased, cornered, and/or wounded should be assumed dangerous until downed. Wounded oryx come to mind! Whitetails kill some people every year.

I’ve seen this before but I thought it was a longer video.
I could be wrong but I believe he’s a blocker(or on stand) as a group is driving the area and he’s standing too close to the trail and got run over. It only changes direction slightly at the last second as it was surprised by him being there.
I find it hard to believe a deer is going to charge from that distance instead of making his getaway if there are no other hunters. If that is in fact the case then the story is misleading…and a little maddening.
But hey, I’ve been wrong before. :E Shrug:

Polish DG! Any animal that is chased, cornered, and/or wounded should be assumed dangerous until downed. Wounded oryx come to mind! Whitetails kill some people every year.
wounded oryx will gladly turn their attention to you when wounded. a PH i hunted with in namibia told me about a time he had to drop a wounded oryx that came after one of his trackers. nasty brutes

That guy is bleeding pretty bad I hope he made it out and to the hospital

I guess a driven hunt can be dangerous.

Especially if everyone is carrying…more so than from the critters.
This is similar to what we do in SC deer hunting with dogs or man driving. If you grew up doing it then it isn’t dangerous. We never had any issues. We have drivers and standers and everyone is armed with shotgun and buckshot. Some relevant information…..Distances I have personally killed deer with buckshot: 2 yards-98 yards. So yes many people think buckshot couldn’t be useful. With the right choke it is deadly. I shot a deer at 8 yards and everyone thought I killed it with a .338 win mag. One hole going in. One hole coming out.

Tell that to the 125 or so deer I have taken by buckshot. Whitetail deer but at that distance shotgun is way to go.
Allow me to re-phrase: In Poland, and in Germany, and in several other European countries too numerous to name, it is not legal to hunt deer with buckshot. In Germany, one may only hunt pig with a shotgun, and only with a slug (see Brenneke). I'm forgetting the Polish regulation off the top of my head, but in Germany, minimum 6.5mm bullet making 2,000 joules of energy at 100 meters. Your experience may vary, the law does not.

Allow me to re-phrase: In Poland, and in Germany, and in several other European countries too numerous to name, it is not legal to hunt deer with buckshot. In Germany, one may only hunt pig with a shotgun, and only with a slug (see Brenneke). I'm forgetting the Polish regulation off the top of my head, but in Germany, minimum 6.5mm bullet making 2,000 joules of energy at 100 meters. Your experience may vary, the law does not.
Pity that one is restricted such as this. Glad I can enjoy using about what I want to kill deer in South Carolina. Although here I believe .22 is minimum size. Who knows. I had an old timer in Missouri tell me one time and I quote. “Illegal ain’t nothing but a sick bird”. I imagine he was old enough to remember the times where a man could hunt free.

Pity that one is restricted such as this. Glad I can enjoy using about what I want to kill deer in South Carolina. Although here I believe .22 is minimum size. Who knows. I had an old timer in Missouri tell me one time and I quote. “Illegal ain’t nothing but a sick bird”. I imagine he was old enough to remember the times where a man could hunt free.
Buck shot isn't legal to hunt with in many US states as well.

It's a concept called "Wild Gerechtigkeit" (literally: Game Justice). It's legally biding, but it formalizes the idea that you are honoring the game by hunting with the appropriate weapons, in an appropriate manner. Sure, there are issues with it: For example, an M1903 Mannlicher firing a 160 grain bullet doesn't quite make the E100 requirement, but one loaded with a 140 grain bullet easily will. I wouldn't want to be hit by either, and that 160 grain bullet has taken a lot of Red Stag. It's really no different than the requirement for .375 for Buffalo. Yes, Europeans tend to formalize common sense. The real pity is that it's sometimes needed.

Ah, here is the regulation in Poland (slightly different than Germany):

§ 3.1.
To carry out hunt and culling of animals posing an extraordinary danger
to human life, health or economy, only hunting firearms shall be used, from which,
after the maximum loading, no more than six shots can be fired; the magazine of a
self-loading gun may contain no more than two cartridges.
2. Big game hunting shall proceed, without prejudice to paragraph 3, only with
the use of hunting firearms with riffled barrel and calibre at least 5.6 mm and hunting
cartridges used for them with part-jacket projectiles, which at the distance of 100 m
from the muzzle have the energy of at least:
1) 2,500 J in the case of hunting elk;
2) 2,000 J in the case of hunting red deer, fallow deer, mouflons and wild boars;
3) 1,000 J in the case of hunting roe deer and young wild boar;
4) 500 J in the case of hunting carnivores;
3. The game referred to in paragraph 2, except for elk and stags, may be
hunted with smoothbore barrel, with the use of hunting bullet cartridges.
4. To carry out small game hunting, without prejudice to paragraph 5, only
hunting shotshells shall be used with pellet diameter of up to 4.5 mm.
5. Carnivores may be hunted with the use of hunting bullet cartridges specified
in paragraphs 2 and 3, hunting shotshells specified in paragraph 4, or hunting
cartridges with full-jacket projectiles.

Please note that in this case, the word "elk" refers to what we would call a moose (Alces alces).

Here's a good link. Others can be found using your favorite search engine: https://huntadventure.pl/old/regulations.html

Last edited:
To be fair one would not go deer hunting with shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot.

I would never do it now, but it was very common where I grew up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!