Red dot or reflex sight for double rife

Yeah, I also can't see the point on something with a low bottom end for magnification.

Scrummy

@Scrumbag

I have a 2.5x (pretty close to 1.8 I would imagine). At 25 yards on a standing or walking animal, I think its OK - full but OK. I've finished off a buck deer before who stood up again in a thicket 10 feet away from me --- total brown blur.

Like your cheek weld concern, personally, I think having 1 sight system is the way to go. If you are a scope person, take your chances with a 1x. If you prefer red dot or iron sights, know your limitations. Yes you could "plan" on removing your scope after the first shot, but its also very likely you could drop/stun a buffalo, make a quick reposition, and he stands up again right in front of you.

I will not go on a buffalo hunt until my daughter is grown, but I plan to only use Iron sights.

Believe the purpose of a 1x on the low end of a scope is that its the same FOV as your naked eye essentially. The 1-6 scope I have you can use with both eye open and it has a red dot circle reticle that is extremely fast on acquisition. I’m an old iron sights guy myself, but my scope at 1x is just as fast as I am to bringing the irons to bare.

I have a Burris fast fire III on it.
With one barell I shoot at 100m in a 3 cm circle.
An Aimpoint is probably the best choice.
But it will disfigure any beautiful double rifle.
It looks like a frozen dog pile, I didn't want to do that to my Ferlach :)

As a long time USPSA/IPSC open class and 3-gun shooter, a red dot site is second nature! I'm very comfortable with open sites as years of competition in the same sports in limited class also, but as I age
the red dots improve my speed and accuracy in a game that is all speed and accuracy. DG in close is without a doubt a speed and accuracy game and for me on a double I'll use a red dot, they all have one except the newest one which hasn't made it to JJ yet!

Given we have been talking about red dot and scope combos I thought I would have a little experiment: will keep you posted.

Aimpoint....they have superb quality different models and very small and light...

csm_11910_Micro_H-1_Regular_Base_1_RF_1600x1180px_150dpi_01_af5ee13323.png

• Lightweight – 84 g without mount and 105 g with mount
  • Integral Weaver-style base allows easy attachment
  • ACET technology allows 50,000 hours of operation on one battery
  • Available in 2 dot sizes (2 and 4 MOA)
  • Fully waterproof
  • Precision adjustment for windage and elevation: top of protective caps fits into holes on adjustment screws – no other tool required
  • 12 settings for use in daylight and low light conditions

I do not like fiber optic sights or see through rear sights on a DG rifle they are not rugged enough and get damaged easily...rear sight also confuses they eye too much which takes the focus away from the front sight and aiming point
This is what I'm considering for my new double, I think I'm going to go with the Aimpoint Micro H-2 with a 2MOA dot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!