Red dot or reflex sight for double rife

I keep coming back to this picture...that thing is bulky and down right ugly....maybe it works very well but man I don't know...it just does not look right

It is bulky and ugly, but it did its purpose. That being said I will either put an RMR or a Swarovski Z6i 1.7x10 on it next time I take it out to Africa. It will be a while as I have a .500 NE and a .450 NE in the elephant rotation ahead of it.

Though, I am curious about what it could do to a buffalo with a 335 grain tipped CEB raptor at 2,850 fps.

i have a burris fastfire 3 with 3 moa red dot mounted on a 12ga 3" magnum turkey shotgun that realy kicks and yet the burris has held zero thru many shots.

I'm a big fan of the Trijicon RMR red dot sight. I couldn't shoot my double accurately with just the iron sights and my old eyes. The Trijicon RMR did the trick. I now shoot tight 2 or 3 inch groupings with my 375 double. I liked the results so much I put one on my Beretta M9A3 9mm pistol.
I've hunted twice in Africa with the double and the RMR sight and it works great. Put one on your 470. You will love it.

I have a Sabatti double rifle in .470 and want to add an red dot or reflex sight to rifle. My eyes are not what the use to be. I hopefully have hunt to Zimbabwe in late September for elephant and buffalo. Who on this forum uses this type of sight and what brand(s) do you recommend?
thanks
don
i use a trijicon srs1,has a 1 3/4 inch dot.my sab.is in 9.3x74r.at 81 my eyes arnt what they used to be,at 50 yards with two different loads i am able to get what i call good groups.

004.JPG
001 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried the Kahles Helia RD. My buddy has one on a turkey gun and it is pretty sweet.

I was really quite tempted by that one. Nearly bought it but got a very good offer on the Leica. I would have had no issues with mounting the Kahles on my rifle.

@jdemocko I had a Kahles on my chapuis 9.3 double but it got moved to my wifes' 375 for her upcoming buffalo hunt. It is a very nice unit that you would be happy using.

none of this new nonsence for me, Ive done well with the shallow V, or ghost peeps, on doubles. Something about that sight on a double and my nostalgic nature that makes molesting a double like that is bordering on criminal and at least child molestation on insist !! :) :)

Well, I have placed a vortex reflex sight on one of my doubles, to assess the usability and results.

Mind you, it is a Baikal, so I don’t feel I have sinned.

Now for the range to open so I can try it out!

A Baikel, OK you get a pass! :):):)

Thinking of having my gunsmith put a Trijicon RMR 3.25 moa on my DR Army Navy 450/400. Mounted on the rib just in front of the breach, quick detach in case of failure, back up express sights.

Has anyone tried the Kahles Helia RD. My buddy has one on a turkey gun and it is pretty sweet.
I have one and it looks great. High quality for sure.

I keep coming back to this picture...that thing is bulky and down right ugly....maybe it works very well but man I don't know...it just does not look right

This is what I prefer

csm_11910_Micro_H-1_Regular_Base_1_RF_1600x1180px_150dpi_01_af5ee13323.png
I agree and I do not understand wanting to put something like that on a classic double. That’s why I got the Kahles. So small and looks great.

Akin to incest, its ugly and against all that's holy...Take a classic old double gun and hang Christmas tree lights on it....The gun is used at an average of 20 yards and if you cannot brain or heart shoot an elephant at 20 yards with a shallow V or a peep sight, you don't belong in Africa, you need to sell shoes at Sears!!! :) :) Hunt like those that came before you..A bit of humor here, well almost..

My choice is the Trijicon RMR with optic fibre and tritium illumination..https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/rm08g

Currently my eyes work well enough for express sights so haven't pulled the trigger yet.(Maybe that should be aquired the sight picture ?)

I have looked through others-battery powered Vortex and Leopold etc. They works really well and the Vortex and Leopold are quite small in physical size for the guys who don't want to spoil the looks of their rifle. The batteries put me off personally but to be honest they all seem to have auto off and the battery lasts for thousands of hours so i am probably just overthinking it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.30.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.30.59 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.31.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.31.01 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
Question:
Is a tritium sight problematic in any of the African countries?

Question:
Is a tritium sight problematic in any of the African countries?
They sell them in South Africa . I assume you are taking of the radioactivity ? We have radioactive sources in academic institutions in Zimbabwe so they are not illegal - way more than tritium but to be honest I have not gone through an X-ray machine at the airport. Chat to your PH.

I have no recommendations but I tip my hat to you for being willing to admit your eyes aren't 20 any more and for having a mind flexible enough to adopt a solution that John Taylor didn't endorse and that has never been written about by Ernest Hemingway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg