Re: How to measure the correct L.O.P. for a double rifle?

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Hello fellows,

I am new to the African Hunting forum, but have viewed several threads on here. The wealth of information is great, especially in this forum. I have decided to take the plunge, and purchase a double rifle in the next few months in hopes of using it on dangerous game one day, but more-so because I simply want one. In lieu of spending large amounts of money on a custom made / fit rifle, I am looking at some of the modern, but used doubles on Gun Broker, Guns International, etc. such as those form Merkel, Chapuis, Searcy, Kreigoff, etc.. I would love to own a vintage Holland&Holland, Purdey, or Wesley Richards, but unless I win the lottery, that isn't going to happen.

My question, to those more experienced in the ins and outs of double rifles, and who use them frequently, is how do you determine the correct length of pull. I've tried searching for this information here, as well as elsewhere, but it is not easy to come by. I am 6ft 1 in, 220 lbs, and of average build, and on a few of my custom bolt action rifles, 13.75 inches seems to be the ideal length of pull. I've read that the ideal LOP of a double is more akin to that of a side-by-side shotgun, and is generally a little longer than the LOP of a bolt action rifle. Is this correct? I guess my question is there a way to "correctly" determine the double rifle's LOP, or do those who shoot these rifles routinely use the old standard of "crook of the elbow to finger pad", or 2-3 finger breadths from nose to thumb when the rifle is shouldered? I've also seen on Searcy's website a measurement chart that is utilized to custom fit the rifle.

What are the recommendations for someone considering purchasing a used double, and trying to find the correct LOP?

Thanks so much for everyone's help in advance.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Your height and arm length put you in a bracket which would likely start at 14 inches on the short side thru 14 3/4 on the long side. Refinement is purely subjective. The crook of the elbow thing is of little real value to me. Normally, usually, most of the time double rifles are stocked somewhat shorter than a shotgun's length of pull. For instance, I am 6' 205 lbs with a 34 inch sleeve. On a double shotgun I shoot 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 most comfortably in normal clothes. However, in a double rifle I prefer something around 14 or 14 1/4. Most double rifles can be adjusted with a pad - solid red or leather covered is traditional. Just be careful not to trim too much wood before you are certain what is best for you.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
No experience with doubles outside of being asked to leave the booths for committing the faux pas of drooling all over their wares. But my recommendation is go to SCI where the major manufacturers will be and get measured. If you're going to drop the kind of money a properly made double costs, I think it worth the time and cost to have it done right to your frame.

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
We're about the same size, and I use the crook of the arm measurement. For me it's 14 1/2 to 15".

Most bolt guns leave the factory with very short LOP's for some reason. Longer ones in the 15" range fit me better.

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Thanks so much for the replies so far. This provides me with a place to start. I hope to make the purchase in the next 2-3 months. I'm really leaning towards a Chapuis or Merkel. If I could find a Searcy in a 470 NE or 500 NE for a good price, I'd definitely like one of his rifles. I'm just looking now, but it's good to have a basis to start with. Red Leg my sleeve length is a 35, so I'm thinking 14 1/4 to 14 1/2 might be a good starting point. If I can find someone that has a try gun, or shop that does custom fitting nearby, I will try and go through a more formal fitting process. Adding a leather wrapped recoil pad for extra length shouldn't be a problem for a competent gunsmith, but what worries me is having to trim some length on a fine piece of walnut, and having it look acceptable. Do any of you have someone that you can recommend, for future reference, that is a good stock maker, or does this type of work on these doubles? Thanks again.

Badger Matt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC Life, NRA Life, NAHC Life, Trout Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa. AK, CA, FL, GA, KS, SC, CO, MO, PA, ID, VA, WY, TX
sandman - If you're in eastern TN, shoot me a PM if you'd like to take a road trip down to Greenville, SC and shoot my Merkel 470 NE. You could combine it with a trip to our Cabela's.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

sandman0921

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Badger Matt, I appreciate the invite. If I'm ever that way, I'd definitely like a chance to shoot your Merkel. Spike.t....that's just cruel. Now I'm going to be drooling over those two rifles everyday........;). Man those are some beautiful rifles.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Badger Matt, I appreciate the invite. If I'm ever that way, I'd definitely like a chance to shoot your Merkel. Spike.t....that's just cruel. Now I'm going to be drooling over those two rifles everyday........;). Man those are some beautiful rifles.

yup love causing temptation when it comes to double rifles.....:):D

Mike McCarty

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
North American Hunting club, SCI, RMEF, Pheasant forever
Hunted
Idaho, Washington,Colorado, B.C.,Ontario,Germany, Italy.
I have a merkel 416 rigby for sale. I lowered the price some. It is on the classified forum. They make the LOP on some dangerous game rifles a little short so they do not hang up when you are mounting the rifle quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeanneThom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh