RCBS Rock Chucker - Will it load .470 Nitro?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by deewayne2003, Feb 11, 2020.

1. deewayne2003

deewayne2003 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Gentlemen,

While I am no stranger to reloading ammo, this is my first attempt at loading for my new .470 Nitro Express.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker(Not supreme) and the clearance is showing to be 3.5"

Question is...

Will this press be able to size and load .470 Nitro Express with the case being 3.25" and the OAL of the loaded cartridge being 3.98"?

Not looking for mass production, just wondering if its possible.

2. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    East Cape, South Africa
    FIRST STEP:
    Call RCBS Tech Service for professional advise and recommendations!!!

I will have to refresh myself on the Rock Chucker, as I have an RCBS turret press and Lee single stage press.

For now:
    Is this a progressive press?
    Inline or rotary (circular) design?
    Are your intentions to attempt to use this press as a single stage or turret press?

Using a loaded factory cartridge:

Insert the cartridge into the shell holder: Can you insert and remove the cartridge: in and out of each of the dies?

Can the dies be adjusted and secured to allow proper function of the respected die?

It would seem the brass will easily load into the press. However,... once a bullet is seated you may have to angle it free of the shell plate and die.

The clearance issue could be anything from a pain in the ass to a major (remove the die each time to remove the completed cartridge) problem.

3. deewayne2003

deewayne2003 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Its a single stage rock chucker, that I have not bought yet..... trying to make sure it will work before I have a buddy ship it to me.

IMG_8359.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2020

4. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I have the Supreme and it works, but it's close. I feed the bullet up into the seating die with my fingers and then raise the ram until the bullet is touching the case mouth. If I try to put in case mouth first, there's not a lot of clearance.

But I think your problem is going to be removing the loaded round even if you can seat a bullet. I think you may not be able to as the bullet will be too far in the seating die and you won't be able to slide the case out of the shell holder.

But there's really only one way to find out......

5. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    I have loaded them on a rockchucker, you have to do just like Phil is saying, feed the bullet into the seating die first, after it is seated, I had to unscrew my die several turns to get the loaded round out of the shell holder. I bought a 50 BMG press because I needed one and to load the 470 and 505 Gibbs on. The rock chucker is a pain but not as bad as paying for loaded ammo!

6. DrBob

DrBob AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zim
    Go with Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushings. This allows quick detach of dies. You could then put case in press with powder, raise case to put bullet in mouth, put seating die over and lock die in place... seat bullet... remove die and remove loaded round. Takes longer to read this than to do it. The Bushing base replaces the insert at top of press...if it is like the Supreme with removable insert. for regular dies.

7. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Loading the 470 NE in a Rock Chucker Supreme is a fairly straightforward process.

CAustin likes this.

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I know the Rock Chucker Supreme works very well. Friends help me select that press specifically for the 470 NE
    412787AA-E552-47B0-99D4-9F6B81618C82.jpeg
    AH member @Shootist43 helping me learn that skill!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020

9. Excessexpress

Excessexpress AH Senior Member

I managed to put together a few hundred on a Lee Hand Press so I would think a Rock Chucker will do it nicely.

10. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Oh it will do it, just how much trouble do you want to go thru to load one round? I have to do the tip method with any number of longer rounds, but at nearly 4", it would be a pain. I think I would look into a taller press, made for these long rounds.

CAustin likes this.

11. deewayne2003

deewayne2003 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Agreed!

Currently looking for a Lee Classic Cast - Not fancy but it will be the dedicated .470 press