Rains Down in Africa

Just got this note from north central Namibia........"On the upside: it is raining cats and dogs over here. We now already have more than our average, and the rainy season is still in full swing. So thankful and happy!!"

Bit of a shower in Lusaka where the house is a few days ago.....rains have definitely kicked in properly over last three weeks or so

IMG_20200109_1554255.jpg
IMG_20200109_1548019.jpg
IMG_20200109_1553247.jpg

Hi guys, we received at least 70% better rainfall in December compared to a year ago. We are close to the 130mm mark for the last two weeks in Okahandja, 70 km north of Windhoek. Sadly there are still big parts of Namibia that needs lots of rain.

Just a few pics

View attachment 322368 View attachment 322369 View attachment 322371 View attachment 322372 View attachment 322373 View attachment 322374

Today's cloud covering at 10 in the morning

View attachment 322375 View attachment 322376
Entirely different from October last year. 100%turn around. Looks beautiful, not saying it wasn't beautiful when we were there.
Cheers
Bob Nelson

About a week ago 17/02/20 the Von Bach Dam supplying water to windhoek was at 37%
New reading taken on the 24/02/2020 it stood at 82.4%

much has changed over the last 7 days throughout the country.

Glad to see some rain down there. Holy Smokes SpikeT, looks like several inches there!:eek: When it rains it pours.:rolleyes:

Any news on rain in the South of Namibia appreciated......or any update for Damara...........FWB

What a relief--after all, during Noah's flood Namibia only got 2" of rain

Any news on rain in the South of Namibia appreciated......or any update for Damara...........FWB

The southern parts of Namibia have also received pretty much good widespread showers about a week ago. Damaraland not so fortunate and has not received much to date. We do trust for more as the raining season i snot over yet. I'll try to keep you updated flatwater bill.

24 February, Plot owners south of Otjiwarongo received 83 mm in only 7 hours

85195474_10156545642721653_4078282777122832384_o.jpg

Photo credit: David Hercules Botha FB page

Man, that brings back memories! I never hunted in Africa, but I've spent a couple months working in Kenya and Mozambique, and I almost forgot how these typically sub-saharan rains strike out of the blue and drench you within seconds!
Not to mention that it doesn't hurt the local people and the nature to get some more water than usual, especially in these times of droughts and desertification.

Wow, so glad to see and hear these great things for man and beast.

Top photo.... Well from the dam being basically empty bit over a month ago this is it now...to the left of the dam wall is the kafue river and the right is the dam... which as you can see is in full flood ...

Middle photo is Byron thigh deep in water on the road that leads to the dam ....

Bottom photo is the boat parked on the dam wall on the river side.....you can take the boat over a lot of our river side land which is under water...the river bank is bout 60 or 70 metres from the dam wall normally

IMG-20200329-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20200329-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20200329-WA0021.jpg

Saw another photo from my outfitter in North Central Namibia today....still raining! Had to postpone my trip scheduled for May

Bit of a follow up on the rains..along with the photos I put on of the dam wall hopefully this gives an idea of how much the kafue comes up in the rains...the water mark is visible on the tree and the ground is rising up here compared to far side of my cruiser....the river bank is in the distance where the tree line is...people won't believe me when they say can we hunt in March or April and I say it's too wet...they say oh it cant be that bad we have hunted in sa or somewhere else and it was fine....I think they believe I am making it up...we drive the boat over this in the rains and a few other places...

20200717_170807.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a follow up on the rains..along with the photos I put on of the dam wall hopefully this gives an idea of how much the kafue comes up in the rains...the water mark is visible on the tree and the ground is rising up here compared to far side of my cruiser....the river bank is in the distance where the tree line is...people won't believe me when they say can we hunt in March or April and I say it's too wet...they say oh it cant be that bad we have hunted in sa or somewhere else and it was fine....I think they believe I am making it up...we drive the boat over this in the rains and a few other places...
UNBELIEVABLE! That is crazy deep!

Yep, that's impressive!

I would say that’s a lot of water!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg