Quiet Muzzle Break

Yah call me skeptical, but physics is physics. And you don’t get something for nothing.

It would be interesting to see first hand before and after results.

My good friend , John Coleman ( a retired Eastern Cape based African professional hunter ) is actually completely deaf in his left ear due to the muzzle brake of a .458 Winchester Magnum ( a push feed BSA Majestic ) which he used to own , prior to acquiring his pre 64 Winchester Model 70 African in ,458 Winchester Magnum .

Muzzle brakes should completely be avoided on dangerous game rifles . If the operator finds the recoil of his rifle so excessive that it necessitates a muzzle brake , then I believe that he should either :
1 ) Get a heavier rifle
2 ) Step down in calibre
3 ) Have the rifle re-stocked and fit to suit him .

I can understand the claimed 'noise reduction'. The vents are angled to direct the gas forward away from the shooter ie the noise isn't reduced, just directed away. A nice theory, but I remain quite skeptical until I had the chance to see proper scientific testing. My preference remains to have NO muzzle breaks.

My good friend , John Coleman ( a retired Eastern Cape based African professional hunter ) is actually completely deaf in his left ear due to the muzzle brake of a .458 Winchester Magnum ( a push feed BSA Majestic ) which he used to own , prior to acquiring his pre 64 Winchester Model 70 African in ,458 Winchester Magnum .

Muzzle brakes should completely be avoided on dangerous game rifles . If the operator finds the recoil of his rifle so excessive that it necessitates a muzzle brake , then I believe that he should either :
1 ) Get a heavier rifle
2 ) Step down in calibre
3 ) Have the rifle re-stocked and fit to suit him .
@Professor Malwa
Unfortunately the BSA Majestic was inflicted with that horrible integrated muzzle brake. There were a few around in 243 and were so horrendously noisy some people went to the extent of having the removed by a gunsmith.
Unfortunately I have lost some hearing in my left ear due to shooting pre earmuff enforcement days. The extra noise of a brake in the bush doesn't affect me but I do wear protection at the range.
Bob

@Professor Malwa
Unfortunately the BSA Majestic was inflicted with that horrible integrated muzzle brake. There were a few around in 243 and were so horrendously noisy some people went to the extent of having the removed by a gunsmith.
Unfortunately I have lost some hearing in my left ear due to shooting pre earmuff enforcement days. The extra noise of a brake in the bush doesn't affect me but I do wear protection at the range.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Why yes . That integral muzzle brake is the one which ruined John’s hearing .

I call BS also. Both on claims of quietness and percent recoil reduction. Nothing shows where the physics could be backed up. At. All.

I've run brakes on various rifles for decades.
Had a visit to my hearing aid professional today as a matter of fact. :(

Fastrig, I don’t see any caliber listed over .338. I suspect you were looking for a brake for your .416? JMO, but if you can find a suppressor for it you would be better off. I’m still looking for a suppressor for .375. A PH in Africa told me he could get one for $200+. Sadly I couldn't bring it home If I bought it.

I've never used one of those, but I have a good deal of experience with breaks. I have never heard of anyone claiming an 85% reduction in felt recoil.

I mostly use Area 419 breaks on my PRS and LR rifles, they are the best I have found so far, they claim up to 50% reduction, under ideal conditions.

I call BS also. Both on claims of quietness and percent recoil reduction. Nothing shows where the physics could be backed up. At. All.

I've run brakes on various rifles for decades.
Had a visit to my hearing aid professional today as a matter of fact. :(
@shootist~
The muzzle brake reduces recoil by 80%, good recoil pad 15%, lighter load and recoil reducers 20%.
Dang I've n ow got a rifle I can put on sticks and stand beside it to catch it because recoil will be actually going forward :A Stirring: :E Hmmm::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I’d suggest a read through the Precision Rifle Blog by Cal Zant. He has an excellent review of muzzle brakes. It is useful knowledge, even if you don’t like them.

I’ve used a variety of them. @Hogpatrol is right, a radial brake on a hunting rifle from a prone position is just asking for sand in your eyes. No thanks.

Well, I guess someone needs to try it to test the claim, but it sure seems far fetched. If those guys over there at Gentry are all wearing hearing aids... Anyway, I own a 300 RUM and I love it. However, it has a break such as advertised by Gentry and the noise is vicious. Knowing what I know now, I'd rather put up with the recoil. I'm going to have a threaded "cap" fitted on the end of the barrel. I think it would make a fantastic plains game rifle.

Fastrig, I don’t see any caliber listed over .338. I suspect you were looking for a brake for your .416? JMO, but if you can find a suppressor for it you would be better off. I’m still looking for a suppressor for .375. A PH in Africa told me he could get one for $200+. Sadly I couldn't bring it home If I bought it.

Yep, the 416 as it‘s threaded already. Haven’t had a brake on a rifle in a LONG time, didn’t like my last one. Thought maybe they had evolved over the years, but doesn’t look like it. A suppressor would be cool but think I’m going to go with the Edwards recoil reducers.

I’ll have to go dig through my notes, but there are few companies that make large bore suppressors. I was looking at one a year or so ago but didn’t feel like waiting a year for the background checks, etc.

Yep, the 416 as it‘s threaded already. Haven’t had a brake on a rifle in a LONG time, didn’t like my last one. Thought maybe they had evolved over the years, but doesn’t look like it. A suppressor would be cool but think I’m going to go with the Edwards recoil reducers.

I’ll have to go dig through my notes, but there are few companies that make large bore suppressors. I was looking at one a year or so ago but didn’t feel like waiting a year for the background checks, etc.
Suppressors come with their own set of trade offs as well.
I currently own 2 suppressors, one in .30 caliber and one .22 rimfire.

Is it quieter and more safe (for your ears) to shoot...absolutely.
Does it reduce felt recoil...to an extent, yes it does.
I haven't asked a PH or tracker, but I'm sure they would approve over a brake.

But as we all struggle to make our rifles lighter...they add weight.
Adding weight at the end of the barrel changes the balance of a rifle.
Barrel length and getting snagged on brush when hunting becomes a concern.
They also shift point of impact vs when they are not installed.
Then there is the added cost of the suppressor...and of course the wait.
Not to mention traveling to foreign countries with them to hunt with...paperwork :rolleyes:

All that said, I believe they are wonderful for hunting here in the US.
Provided you are willing to deal with the above detractors.

Suppressors come with their own set of trade offs as well.
I currently own 2 suppressors, one in .30 caliber and one .22 rimfire.

Is it quieter and more safe (for your ears) to shoot...absolutely.
Does it reduce felt recoil...to an extent, yes it does.
I haven't asked a PH or tracker, but I'm sure they would approve over a brake.

But as we all struggle to make our rifles lighter...they add weight.
Adding weight at the end of the barrel changes the balance of a rifle.
Barrel length and getting snagged on brush when hunting becomes a concern.
They also shift point of impact vs when they are not installed.
Then there is the added cost of the suppressor...and of course the wait.
Not to mention traveling to foreign countries with them to hunt with...paperwork :rolleyes:

All that said, I believe they are wonderful for hunting here in the US.
Provided you are willing to deal with the above detractors.

Yep and those are the reasons I didn’t go that route for my bolt rifles, especially the length. I can see putting one on my AR10 338 Federal though since it has a 18.5” barrel and the suppressor would replace the brake that‘s on it. Built up that rifle for hunting and it wouldn’t be too long with a suppressor on it.

Thank you for the laugh "Quiet Muzzle brake":A Haha: Physics is physics. Magna porting will provide some recoil reduction and is only about half as loud as a break. But still loud. The only way you will get reduction of recoil and sound is a suppressor/moderator/silencer/can what ever you want to call it. recoil reducers work but you need to make sure that you also work hard to keep the balance correct or the rifle will be very unwieldy in the bush.

Two thoughts:
1. Muzzle brake on my daughters Wby MK V 7mm W BY Mag blows dust and papers off bench rests on both sides of her. It is NOT welcome on a crowded range.
The same rifle also deforested a cedar tree from which she shot a deer and the tree trapped so much pressure and noise that could not hear for 30 minutes. Was not permanent damage.
2. Without the brake, it is just loud, kicks a bit more, and highly accurate.
3. It is highly deadly too. On a Montana elk hunt, she took a 400 prone yard shot at a grazing mule deer buck and DRT ! Guide was so happy that he trotted half a mile or to tell me about it. :)

All such accessories have their pros and cons.

Was looking at muzzle breaks and this one came up on a forum as highly recommended, Quiet Muzzle Break from Gentry Custom. Anyone have any experience with this break? The poster said he had one on a couple of his rifles and that he can shoot without ear protection where he could never do that with other breaks he's owned.

https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx
I have always been under the impression that a quiet muzzle break was an oxymoron

You guys don't know how lucky you are. Along with full auto, bump stocks and anything that simulates full auto, silencer possession in my uber liberal state makes me a felon. Otherwise I'd use them on almost all my rifles. Just remember all it takes is the stroke of a pen and you may be in the same fix.

An FYI: The eight states that currently do not allow individuals to own silencers are California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachussetts, New York, New Jersey, and the Rhode Island.

Interesting that they claim 85% recoil reduction. It looks like a normal brake to me so how could it be quiet? I guess you need to try it out and see how it works. I’d like to hear a report here on AH.
I’m done with brakes and use Edward’s recoil reducers in all my rifles and suppressors in some cases.
Philip
85% is what they claim? Is it made by Asgardian dwarves? Or are the makers unfamiliar with Isaac Newton? Or they have figured out how to make an inertial dampener.

At its absolute best (I mean like massively overbore high pressure cartidges shooting light bullets) recoil is only composed of about 30-50% high pressure gas accelerating out the bore and the remainder is the acceleration of the bullet mass. So the most they could ever hope for is a reduction of probably like 30%.

I think NASA is gonna wanna talk to these folks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg