Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Was looking at muzzle breaks and this one came up on a forum as highly recommended, Quiet Muzzle Break from Gentry Custom. Anyone have any experience with this break? The poster said he had one on a couple of his rifles and that he can shoot without ear protection where he could never do that with other breaks he's owned.

https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.10 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.14 AM.png
    809.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.16 AM.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.18 AM.png
    650.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 63

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Being of radial design, it won't mitigate recoil as well as a ported style. This type isn't recommended for a hunting rifle where there's a possibility of shooting close to the ground. As far as the 85% recoil reduction, I'd like to see on what rifle and how they arrived at that figure. From this chair, it's marketing BS.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Interesting that they claim 85% recoil reduction. It looks like a normal brake to me so how could it be quiet? I guess you need to try it out and see how it works. I’d like to hear a report here on AH.
I’m done with brakes and use Edward’s recoil reducers in all my rifles and suppressors in some cases.
Philip

scott fairchild

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Life member NRA, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa
I have a brake that looks very similar to the QMB, not sure who made it. I have it on my 300RUM and it works very well to reduce recoil, I have no problem shooting multiple rounds off the bench, however it is not quiet. The MB will not reduce the noise level, it does help to redirect the noise toward the poor guy standing next to you.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Interesting that they claim 85% recoil reduction. It looks like a normal brake to me so how could it be quiet? I guess you need to try it out and see how it works. I’d like to hear a report here on AH.
I’m done with brakes and use Edward’s recoil reducers in all my rifles and suppressors in some cases.
Philip

A little research on reviews for this brake: It is NOT quiet.

Fastrig

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
Philip

The Edwards recoil reducers look interesting, kind of like the Blaser Kickstop. I'm trying to figure out how those are installed in a bolt rifle, can't find any pictures anywhere.....can you elaborate on this for me? With my bad shoulder anything I can do to mitigate some of the recoil is always welcomed. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Regardless of what this company may convince the buyer, I suspect the PH and tracker will not be asked to provide testimonials.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I would question how that
You can’t rewrite the laws of physics. This is marketing at its finest!
I agree, muzzle breaks redirect gases to counteract recoil. That means upward and or rear movement of the gun. To do that you need to push gases up and backwards ie straight at your ears.

Normal muzzle noise requires ear protection to avoid damage to your hearing. Muzzle breaks definately make that worse. Some may be better than others......

And 85 % reduction in recoil..... maybe if the bullet travels at 15 % of the velocity.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
The Edwards recoil reducers look interesting, kind of like the Blaser Kickstop. I'm trying to figure out how those are installed in a bolt rifle, can't find any pictures anywhere.....can you elaborate on this for me? With my bad shoulder anything I can do to mitigate some of the recoil is always welcomed. Thanks!!
On wood stocks they normally go in the draw bolt hole. Some guns need a hole drilled out by a gunsmith and synthetic stocks can be done various ways. Some guns we’ve put 2 reducers in. I suggest sending the stock to Edward’s and have them do it. It is fairly inexpensive.

Fastrig

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
On wood stocks they normally go in the draw bolt hole. Some guns need a hole drilled out by a gunsmith and synthetic stocks can be done various ways. Some guns we’ve put 2 reducers in. I suggest sending the stock to Edward’s and have them do it. It is fairly inexpensive.

Thanks mucho!!!

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
No way, no how!... as other have posted. A gas re-direction brake is going to increase noise... a lot. To the point of not only annoying or damaging the hearing of bystanders or other shooters but also the shooter, while increasing the potential for inducing flinching. What's not to like about them! The only way to "reduce" noise is to diffuse it... via a suppressor. The up side for suppressors is that they may also reduce recoil some. The downside is they are a cosmetic can on the end of the barrel. :)

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
That poster must be deaf as a post and blissfully ignorant of his own flatulence on long car rides. That or he can be reliably counted upon to provide a truthless account of any subject.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Was looking at muzzle breaks and this one came up on a forum as highly recommended, Quiet Muzzle Break from Gentry Custom. Anyone have any experience with this break? The poster said he had one on a couple of his rifles and that he can shoot without ear protection where he could never do that with other breaks he's owned.

https://gentrycustom.com/Products/QuietMuzzleBrake/tabid/6359/Default.aspx
@ Fastrig
As @Hogpatrol said it's a radial port brake similar to the one I have fitted to my Whelen. If'n I wanted to continue to shoot after my shoulder injury I had to do something to mitigate the recoil so fitted the brake.
I found I could comfortably shoot the heaviest loads in my Whelen without issues. The trade off was vastly INCREASED NOISE, but this I'm willing to put up with so I can continue to hunt.
I read a review of the Gentry quiet brake on the 24hr campfire review and it also stated that it was still a lot louder than an unbraked rifle.
Unfortunately some of us have to use a muzzle brake but we should be considerate of people around us.
Bob

Fastrig

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted

Talked to Kevin at Edwards a little bit ago, heck of a nice gentleman. Going to send him a number of stocks and have him do his magic. Thanks for the referral!!!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
The first law of Thermodynamics...
Energy can neither be created or destroyed, only changed in form.

i.e. There is no free lunch, you get recoil or noise...take your pick.

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.