Questions about the African Carry and Others

I've never found the African carry comfortable, and don't employ it from that standpoint. While I agree it can allow for sweeping others with the muzzle, muzzle control is independent of carry method. I can point the muzzle to the right of the person in front of me just as easily as I can point it at them. I've also seen muzzle sweeps dismounting a gun from a shoulder sling carry or (more than anything) from a hunter switching what hand they're carrying an unslung gun in. Muzzle control is about awareness more than anything.

That being said, I tend to carry my rifle in a muzzle up, strong side sling. I'm able to get my rifle into action pretty quickly from that position, and I have practiced pretty extensively with that method.
Not sure I understand how removing the rifle from conventional slung position leads to sloppy muzzle awareness. I am right handed. With my right hand I reach to the top of the sling on my right shoulder, hook the sling with my thumb, pull the sling off my shoulder while reaching across with left hand to grab the fore end. All through this the muzzle remains skyward. Then when left hand has a firm grasp on the rifle, my right hand moves to pistol grip. Because the weight of balance is at butt end, the muzzle does not (cannot) level until the rifle is fully in both hands. I can deploy a gun slung on my right shoulder VERY quickly. The sling is often removed when stalking buffalo, especially in thick stuff. Then the rifle is carried in hand. I often carry my gun tucked against my right side, right hand gripping the fore end with pistol grip trapped against my body above the belt. This, of course, requires a properly balanced gun and I'm typically hunting alone. It's a very safe carry method as the muzzle is pointed down and trigger group is shielded against snagging brush. NOT the method I prefer if someone is walking in front of me.

Last edited:
i carry mine on a sling barrel up, i change between shoulders as i feel like it, when going through thick stuff i carry it in one hand
i dont know how or why people do african carry, its not for me. i find it extremely uncomfortable, but lots of other phs carry that way and thats all good.
i am very aware of how people handle their weapons and where there hands and fingers are.

My primary ph won’t allow African carry behind him. One of his friends got shot this way. He also requires no shell in the chamber and de-cocked on bolt rifles at the truck. I sling my rifle, hang it on my right (strong ) shoulder and commence walking. Never had an issue not being “fast” enough on the shot. If I was culling dangerous game or something like that I would probably just take the sling off on approach to eliminate a variable for mishap.

I’ve nearly been shot twice at a range demo and a training event. One was a shotgun that went off about a foot away from the side of my head. Been working in the gun business for 20 years. There is nothing worse than a person that doesn’t have a grasp on basic gun safety.

Not sure I understand how removing the rifle from conventional slung position leads to sloppy muzzle awareness. I am right handed. With my right hand I reach to the top of the sling on my right shoulder, hook the sling with my thumb, pull the sling off my shoulder while reaching across with left hand to grab the fore end. All through this the muzzle remains skyward. Then when left hand has a firm grasp on the rifle, my right hand moves to pistol grip. Because the weight of balance is at butt end, the muzzle does not (cannot) level until the rifle is fully in both hands. I can deploy a gun slung on my right shoulder VERY quickly. The sling is often removed when stalking buffalo, especially in thick stuff. Then the rifle is carried in hand. I often carry my gun tucked against my right side, right hand gripping the fore end with pistol grip trapped against my body above the belt. This, of course, requires a properly balanced gun and I'm typically hunting alone. It's a very safe carry method as the muzzle is pointed down and trigger group is shielded against snagging brush. NOT the method I prefer if someone is walking in front of me.

I believe he was referring to the technique whereby you swivel the rifle on your strong shoulder vertically around, until it points forward again. Very easy to shoulder this way, but it sweeps everyone standing behind you.

I believe he was referring to the technique whereby you swivel the rifle on your strong shoulder vertically around, until it points forward again. Very easy to shoulder this way, but it sweeps everyone standing behind you.
Gotta say I've never seen anyone I hunt with do that. Sounds like a good way to lose control of the gun during swivel procedure.

I, too, am paranoid about gun safety. The reality is that many of us do not talk about our own close shaves, usually caused by tiredness or inattention. I have managed to put a loaded rifle in a slip, and I have also had a rifle (Husqvana) go off on me without touching the trigger. I met a stalker who had a Remington 700 go off when it was in the gun rack on the back of an argocat (which means he must have had a chambered round). I have had the unnerving experience of someone shooting from behind past me. That said, my routine is always to unload when getting into a vehicle, crossing a fence, or similar and show the cleared breach to whomever I am with.

As with everything, there must be exceptions. When I was following up my one and only buffalo, the buffalo was wounded and the bush was thick. There were four rifles and two trackers in the party. It was impossible to move through the country without constantly ducking and twisting and having to swivel the rifles, and juggle them from hand to hand, to avoid both self and rifle getting caught up. So, one must make the compromise: it was necessary to have the rifles loaded, and it was also unavoidable to swing the muzzles across other party members. This is the sort of situation where experience must trump 'the rules'.

It is a little bit off-topic, because the question is about the 'Africa carry' method more generally, which strikes me as pretty lax. It certainly would not be allowed in Scotland, for example, where the rule is that rifle stays in the slip until the last moment and goes back in again as soon as practicable. Deer are a bit more docile, though.

Incidentally, in my own experience I have found that the traditional English rifle which has two sling eyes, with the sling tied on with a knot at each end, is inferior to the European method of one eye and one broad (1") eyelet, which allows the sling to be attached with a strap and buckle, and unbuckled quickly. No-one seems to sell slings with a lobster claw clasp, either.

While I never heard it called the "Rhodesian Carry" I have carried my sling equipped rifles this way for many years, I also use this method to carry my turkey guns. On a rifle or shotgun without a sling I typically carry with my weak side arm pointing up and to the side. If I'm hunting alone then will sometimes carry in my weak hand at the balance point with the muzzle pointing ahead or rarely use the "African" carry.

Sling weak shoulder left side barrel down left hand on front wood. Lift slightly swivel and bring forward and up into shooting shoulder. Simple fast effective and comfortable to carry.

If terrain becomes thick or action is close at hand qd detach sling and rifle in hands.

I, too, am paranoid about gun safety. The reality is that many of us do not talk about our own close shaves, usually caused by tiredness or inattention. I have managed to put a loaded rifle in a slip, and I have also had a rifle (Husqvana) go off on me without touching the trigger. I met a stalker who had a Remington 700 go off when it was in the gun rack on the back of an argocat (which means he must have had a chambered round). I have had the unnerving experience of someone shooting from behind past me. That said, my routine is always to unload when getting into a vehicle, crossing a fence, or similar and show the cleared breach to whomever I am with.

As with everything, there must be exceptions. When I was following up my one and only buffalo, the buffalo was wounded and the bush was thick. There were four rifles and two trackers in the party. It was impossible to move through the country without constantly ducking and twisting and having to swivel the rifles, and juggle them from hand to hand, to avoid both self and rifle getting caught up. So, one must make the compromise: it was necessary to have the rifles loaded, and it was also unavoidable to swing the muzzles across other party members. This is the sort of situation where experience must trump 'the rules'.

It is a little bit off-topic, because the question is about the 'Africa carry' method more generally, which strikes me as pretty lax. It certainly would not be allowed in Scotland, for example, where the rule is that rifle stays in the slip until the last moment and goes back in again as soon as practicable. Deer are a bit more docile, though.

Incidentally, in my own experience I have found that the traditional English rifle which has two sling eyes, with the sling tied on with a knot at each end, is inferior to the European method of one eye and one broad (1") eyelet, which allows the sling to be attached with a strap and buckle, and unbuckled quickly. No-one seems to sell slings with a lobster claw clasp, either.
Detachable swivels are the way to go. The stud stays attached to the gun while the rest of the swivel comes off with the sling. While they may slightly disagree with the "classic" Stewart Granger/Mr Safari look (detachable swivels have only evolved in my lifetime), I don't see them stepping much over that fashion conscious line in the sand. However, do the homework before buying detachable. Avoid the ones with the retaining pin that is peened into place. They fall apart over time. Blued detachable swivels do trap moisture and are prone to rusting so keep them liberally oiled. Or if you're not classic safari appearance obsessed, go with stainless.

Sling weak shoulder left side barrel down left hand on front wood. Lift slightly swivel and bring forward and up into shooting shoulder. Simple fast effective and comfortable to carry.

If terrain becomes thick or action is close at hand qd detach sling and rifle in hands.
Am I the only one who's hesitant to carry with muzzle hanging a foot or so straight above dirt? Gad, over the years my shotgun barrel has snagged plenty of mud and debris carried under my arm at an angle to the ground. I don't worry too much about it. I can and have easily cleared my A5's barrel by removing it and blowing/cleaning it. Just a few weeks ago I had to clear it with a willow branch and a wad of raspberry leaves. Mess up a rifle barrel muzzle and that gun may be done until a gunsmith can put a new crown on it. That's not happening in the field!

Am I the only one who's hesitant to carry with muzzle hanging a foot or so straight above dirt? Gad, over the years my shotgun barrel has snagged plenty of mud and debris carried under my arm at an angle to the ground. I don't worry too much about it. I can and have easily cleared my A5's barrel by removing it and blowing/cleaning it. Just a few weeks ago I had to clear it with a willow branch and a wad of raspberry leaves. Mess up a rifle barrel muzzle and that gun may be done until a gunsmith can put a new crown on it. That's not happening in the field!
Your too short or barrels are too long.....

Carried correctly and with the left hand in place you have total control over the rifle.....

Your too short or barrels are too long.....

Carried correctly and with the left hand in place you have total control over the rifle.....
I'm 6"1' and both rifle barrels are 24". I have "total control" over my shotgun ... but I don't have total control over the terrain I'm walking on or vegetation I'm going through. When I'm hunting, I prefer to not have my eyes glued to whatever is immediately at my feet. As much as possible I'm looking out for game. Consequently, missteps are not uncommon. If I happen to fall over, I want my gun's muzzle pointed away from my body parts ... as in above my head or in front of me, not at my feet and legs.

Well cool you have it sorted then.....

I like the my gun slung weak side muzzle down. I find this safe and fast.

I have one PH friend, a very experienced Botswana elephant hunter, who uses African carry as he feels the sling is an encumbrance in that Kalahari thorns scrub country. He carries with a round in the chamber, but the bolt is not fully closed so the rifle is uncocked. There is a point in closing a ‘98, just as the spring is engaging, where tension will hold it in place. When he brings the gun to bear, he completes the bolt stroke and is ready to shoot. He claims that this is a Boer custom. I can’t comment beyond that.
I agree on this method of client carry (Rhodesian carry), and the PH carrying withe the bolt UNLOCKED. Makes a lot of safe sense.

I like the my gun slung weak side muzzle down. I find this safe and fast.

I have one PH friend, a very experienced Botswana elephant hunter, who uses African carry as he feels the sling is an encumbrance in that Kalahari thorns scrub country. He carries with a round in the chamber, but the bolt is not fully closed so the rifle is uncocked. There is a point in closing a ‘98, just as the spring is engaging, where tension will hold it in place. When he brings the gun to bear, he completes the bolt stroke and is ready to shoot. He claims that this is a Boer custom. I can’t comment beyond that.
I had a PH (and Rhodesian bush war veteran) explain to me once that “Africa carry” included chambering a round while the trigger is depressed, so that the firing pin is unloaded. This basically has the firing pin resting on the primer, off safe (hit the cocking piece hard enough and it will discharge). To fire, the bolt handle was cycled up a down only to cock, which was thought the be more reliable and faster than chambering. He explained all this in a matter of fact way - ie that’s just how its done…

Sounded crazy as hell to me. It’s really best to talk through all this stuff well ahead of getting out of the truck etc. Slung weak side muzzle down works. If I feel a “threat” is imminent enough to have a round chambered, I‘m going to have a rifle at “port arms” or similar.

African carry is an example of a technique that has become unmoored from the reason for that technique. It is a technique for a gun-bearer to use. He walks in front of the shooter and the gun is pointing in the expected direction of use. It is reasonable in that context, arguably as safe and efficient a technique as there is in that context.

To the extent it is used now it is either used by people who think it looks cool or it is used by people as a way to carry a gun to change around the muscles you are using. Not something I’ve ever felt the need to do (as I’ve been taught and practiced proper use of a sling), but fair enough.

If it is used by the person in front of the line, fine by me, but it is not faster than a high ready position. And sure as hell nobody is walking behind me carrying any weapon with the muzzle pointing at me. I’m not going to make a scene or be a bitch about it, I’ll just be walking behind the person.

Saw a show here in the states where the star was carrying his external lock muzzle loader African style in thick brush and SURPRISE a branch hooked the trigger and or lock and he blew his finger off. Many of these bwanas on these videos are just plain scary.

So let me ask a question of those who use a SxS or OU shotgun for hunting quail or pheasants over pointers. Who would tolerate a member of the party carrying his gun in an African carry? The answer, if you have done it more than once, is no one. It would be considered entirely too unsafe among a party of hunters and often their guide.

I see no difference with Africa, and all you have to do is watch a few "training films" on the Sportsman Channel to realize the inherent danger of such a carry. I too use the muzzle down, weak side carry that @IvW suggests. It is as quick as port arms, and done correctly the left arm is already in a hasty sling. The rifle rides in such a way that it is almost impossible to snag. I have never remotely had an issue sticking a muzzle in the dirt. Were I mucking through three feet of snow, it could be an issue, but then I would have tape on the muzzle and I would not be in Africa. I also should note that Len Taylor, one of Zim's more renowned PH's uses this carry almost exclusively.

With @PeteG on @spike.t Mike Taylor's Takeri.

carry.JPG

Last edited:
:) I tape the muzzle no matter where or when I'm hunting. I keep a few wraps of electrical tape around the barrel for re-application if needed in the field.

I use a conventional right side sling carry, muzzle up, with a fairly loose sling. I hold the toe of the butt in my right between fingers and thumb as if marching right shoulder arms with the rifle upside down and keep the sling secure with my left hand across my mid section if needed. The rifle is under complete control and this keeps the muzzle angled down at about a 45' angle to the rear and if done properly no higher than head high so it doesn't catch on crap. Getting a rifle to shooting position is not a speed contest so no need for any carry designed to do such. In the regular muzzle up right side sling position, the rifle is rotated forward, with the muzzle aching over the top and is easy to maintain muzzle control avoiding those in front. The only exception for other carry position may be some version of port arms, with both hands holding rifle with the muzzle pointed up and to the left..... if expecting a charge after wounding an animal or some such. Of course I tried the muzzle down carry long ago and found it uncomfortable, without the best control of the rifle and in the motion to bring the muzzle up to shooting level it invariably covers anyone in front zone. Obviously proper use of the terms "strong side/weak side" is a given and needs to be sorted for orientation of lefties, south paws and other oddly oriented individuals. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.