Question on traveling with ammo

ckg26

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a quick question I cannot find an answer to. My outfitter has offered and stated I can bring ammo for his rifles and I wanted to make sure from the U.S. to South Africa Johannesburg that I do NOT need to fill out any paperwork and I can simply just bring over in a locked case?

Thank you!

I absolutely would not risk it. You can probably get away with it, my bag arrives at baggage claim like normal with ammo in it, but you have no explanation if you are caught. If it accompanies a rifle and firearm permit easy to explain why you have it. A customs officer or police officer in Africa will not be as logical as you’ll find in the USA. Bringing your own rifle and ammo to South Africa is easy or ammo is easily bought there. Pick one of those two options.

Perfect just what I needed and my gut said. Thank you sir!

I think it was 2014 in OR Tambos SAPS gun clearing room they were holding a guy because I think it was .458 Lott cases cut down to .458 Win mag. His rifle was a .458 Win mag but with his ammunition head stamp .458 Lott. I don’t know how it turned out but it didn’t look pleasant. When it comes to African gun/ammunition laws don’t risk anything. And make sure all brass spent or live is out of any carry on bags, I have a good friend that can tell you about that.

To be safe, if you are not carrying a rifle, don't take any ammo.

In about a dozen entries into RSA with ammo, I’ve had them check the ammo to ensure it matched the caliber of the rifle(s) on the permit at least three or four times . . . If they don’t match, at the very least they will confiscate the ammo, and most likely you’ve opened yourself up to having to “deal with“ the problem, if you get my drift. Or worse, if you get someone who actually wants to apply the rules. Not worth it.

(Unless the rules have changed. In secret.)

You're not the first to ask this question. Given that outfitters know the rules, I’m constantly surprised that some will ask clients to undertake this risk. Personally, I would look more than a bit askance at an outfitter who would be prepared to do that,

Now, if you’re bringing, say, a .375 and 40 rounds, and your outfitter asks if you’d mind bringing in another couple of boxes for him, I have no problem with that . . . though it may strictly speaking not be within the rules. However, I sometimes find myself having to use far more ammo than I expected to fix a scope . . . or whatever. A ”margin of error” is always a good idea, so long as you stay below the weight limit for ammo.

correct me if I am wrong but can't you take him empty brass and bullets, then he can load them up

correct me if I am wrong but can't you take him empty brass and bullets, then he can load them up
It opens you up to a potential problem you don’t need. Factory ammo is readily ammo in South Africa. There should be no shortage of once fired brass. I could maybe be persuaded to bring a certain bullet unavailable there, but not more than that.

Last summer I carried in for my Outfitter about 100 new brass cases and 300 bullets (3 boxes) in my checked luggage, to South Africa. Not a problem then, I haven't heard if that situation is different now. Would love to hear if that has changed!

Last summer I carried in for my Outfitter about 100 new brass cases and 300 bullets (3 boxes) in my checked luggage, to South Africa. Not a problem then, I haven't heard if that situation is different now. Would love to hear if that has changed!
I doubt anything has changed, but if it’s flagged as ammo or if you actually declare the items, it could turn into a big headache and I just don’t see the reason to take risk when so much ammo is available there already. I really think you could put loaded ammo in your bag and walk out door no issue. It’s just no issue until it’s a big issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.