www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
Premise: I am hoping to make a plains game trip in May-Sept of 2022 with a .30-06. My “wish” list is Zerba, Oryx, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Ostrich. With ammo so hard to find, I am planning on trying to get my hands on the ammo now so I won’t be in a flat panic tyring to buy ammo.

Where I’m at right now: 180 grain Nosler Accubond and 150 grain Nosler Partition.

Background: My Express rifle can put an under bullet in a hole left by an over bullet at 100 yards but only if I use a 180 in the top and a 150 in the bottom. So, to help keep things sorted out I’ve been buying tipped 180 grain ammo for the upper barrel and plain-nosed ammo for the lower/150 barrel (I also mark the bottom of the 180’s with a Sharpie so I can crack the gun open and check).

For Southeast deer, I’ve been using Nosler BT 180’s and Hornady Interlock 150’s. But, I wouldn’t trust either of these bullets in Africa so I was going to go with 180 Accubond and 150 grain Partitions. Of course, I’d lead with the 180s for the Zebra, Oryx and Gnu using the 150 for a quick back-up if necessary. I’d reverse this for the smaller stuff. 'Has to be store bought - I don't have time to learn to reload and components are hard to find, anyway.

Thoughts?

Where are you hunting? Some venues, you'll be lucky to get anything closer than 200 yards. Ostrich are usually waaay out there. Dependent on terrain, the same can be said for the others. I would check with your PH/outfitter to see if that type of rifle is suitable for the terrain and shooting conditions. Personally, I would take or use a bolt gun.

I used 180 accubonds out of my 300 Weatherby and my 30-06 in Africa. I had no issues at all. I would shoot everything with the 180s, and use the 150 as a follow up shot, just like you said you would.

Where are you hunting? Some venues, you'll be lucky to get anything closer than 200 yards. Ostrich are usually waaay out there. Dependent on terrain, the same can be said for the others. I would check with your PH/outfitter to see if that type of rifle is suitable for the terrain and shooting conditions. Personally, I would take or use a bolt gun.
Good question - because of the limitation of my gun (I have a 1.5x-5x Leupold on the Browning Express), I'm trying to limit myself to bush type conditions rather than wide-open plains. I have a very accurate bolt also in .30-06 but, at this point, wasn't planning on taking it. I really want to do this with the double.

I just realized that "Express" might have made it seem like I had an open sight gun - it's a Browning Express (Over/Under). I'm comfortable at 150 yards with the current setup but 200 is really stretching it.

Good question - because of the limitation of my gun (I have a 1.5x-5x Leupold on the Browning Express), I'm trying to limit myself to bush type conditions rather than wide-open plains. I have a very accurate bolt also in .30-06 but, at this point, wasn't planning on taking it. I really want to do this with the double.

I just realized that "Express" might have made it seem like I had an open sight gun - it's a Browning Express (Over/Under). I'm comfortable at 150 yards with the current setup but 200 is really stretching it.
All of your bullets will more than do the job and you could take both rifles. You'd be covered for pretty much all conditions and ranges normally experienced.

Last edited:
I've read that in some places (SA being one) you can't take two rifles of the same caliber.

I've read that in some places (SA being one) you can't take two rifles of the same caliber.
Not true.
If you motivate correctly it is not an issue.
Besides he is not taking two rifles of the same caliber he is taking an express O/U which is one rifle with two barrels(one set) in the same caliber as any other double

Correct, I forgot that gotcha.

I agree.. 180 Accubonds at normal 30-06 velocities will easily take everything on your list..

Im a hard sold Barnes TSX and TTSX guy myself.. but if Accubonds were all I could find prior to making a trip over, I wouldnt hesitate.. they are certainly up to the task..

another good option (in addition to the many already mentioned) if you can find them is Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Basically any "premium" bonded or monometal projectile should be great for your intended hunt..

If you cant find ammo from one of the big manufacturers, look at Hendershots. Several guys here swear by custom ammo from Hendershots.. they arent that much more (in some cases they are less) than what youre going to pay for "factory" premium ammo from Barnes, Rem, Fed, etc.. and you have numerous choices in terms of what projectile you want loaded (in 30-06 they will load up accubonds, A-frames, TTSX, partitions and several other options for you)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.34.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.34.00 AM.png
    926.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.34.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.34.01 AM.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 105
I would seriously look at the Swift A-Frame in 180grn (can be had as factory loaded ammo from Swift) for the primary load followed by the Barnes TSX. In 30 caliber Barnes makes 2 bullets similar in weight. A 165grn and a 168grn. The 165 is designed for magnum velocities while the 168 is designed for 308/30-06 velocities. Due to the monolithic construction the 168grn TSX will preform like a lead core 180grn. No lead so it has to be longer thus higher SD. I watched a friends son down an Eland bull using a 308 Winchester with a handload I put together for him using a Barnes 168grn TSX at 2750fps. Went 18 yards then into the salt. Any of the other bullets recommended by others are sound choices also. Have a great trip!

I love the 180 grain trophy bonded tips out of my 30.06. Killed lots of wild boar, deer, bears, and elk with them and never been disappointed. That said there's lots of really good bullets out there for a 06. Nothing at all wrong with the partition or accubond

having to use 1 bullet in the top barrel and one in the lower barrel is a recipe for disaster.
for the bigger game mentioned, the 150 gn partition will leave a lot to be desired, while the 180 mentioned will be ideal in 30/06.
if 1 barrel will zero at say 100 with the other at 200 to 250 with 180s same load you might have a workable outfit.
for a do all load, the 180 swift would be a good go to.
bruce.

A lot of African PG has been taken with 140 gr bullets from 6.5's, the .270, and of course the 7x57. I don't like mixing rounds either, but if that works in that rifle and you are diligent with a colored sharpie, I think you will be fine with the 180's and 150's.

Were it mine, I would devote some effort to trying to find a single 180 gr load that regulates properly. You can send it to JJ Perodeau who would re-regulate it to a commercial load that is accurate from both barrels (regardless where they print with respect to each other) or to Lance Hendershot, who would develop a load and provide you ammunition.

And some great photography on your site!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.02 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.13 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.14 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.15 AM.png
    650 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 8.35.18 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
One of the great things about going on safari is the opportunity to buy a new rifle, get proficient with it and enjoy a completely new experience. Why not consider a bolt action 375 (pick your flavor) that shoots one kind of bullet into tiny-tiny holes? Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx, Barnes TTSX/TSX, Federal TBBC...pick a premium expanding bullet from what the above members have suggested and you will be in excellent shape.

Seriously, I'm disappointed in the membership here that it's taken until post #20 to come up with this possibility. @Rubberhead - Welcome to a world of enablers.

BTW - Do not underestimate the toughness of both the Zebra and Blue Wildebeest. Do your homework and check out the "shot placement" section. No points get deducted for using a larger caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg