Question: Kilombero v. Selous

AES

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents - If an outfitter were to suggest that you hunt would take place in either the Kilombero Valley or Selous, would you take issue with one v the other? Perhaps better said, is one area preferential v the other (same price)? Primary large targets 2x buff + hippo + croc + limited PG. I can't seem to find much info distinguishing the two other than that the Kilombero Valley may have more Buff but less PG. Frankly, I was looking to hunt the Selous (for obvious reasons) but know very little about Kilo. Don't want to enter a situation where my hunt is one of the "shorter" ones so I get shifted out of my originally intended destination to something that is "lesser" as the result of being the short hunt guy. Thanks. Any input appreciated. AES

Even in the Selous it can differ from concession to concession depending how they are managed. It really is finding the good straw amongst the chaff. Generalizations don't work. Good luck.

Even in the Selous it can differ from concession to concession depending how they are managed. It really is finding the good straw amongst the chaff. Generalizations don't work. Good luck.
Absolutely... The northern blocks in Selous tend to be less productive.

again it depends on the Northern blocks, and how hard they are hunted..I will say without question the Kilombero has the largest buffalo in the world, and more of them, but its not all that easy to hunt, its mostly high grass, but I would prefer it to any other concession..I don't know who is hunting it these days and that would make a difference..Licky Adbula was hunting it last I heard and at the time he had good PH..I might add that hunts there have always been more expensive...and make no mistake the Selous is darn good buffalo country for the most part, My best buffalo came from the Selous some 10 years ago, and Ive never seen but a precious few half as good as he is..I was hunting with pierre van Tonder SAfaris..

Better work on your tan before going to Kilo--there is no shade--all grass. You will learn to differentiate all the diff sounds which identify unseen animals in the grass. It is a little scary at first spending all your time in the grass, but you get used to it except for one thing--having snoozing hippo on land shoo out from under your feet like a cross between a rabbit and a landslide. Had that happen twice. Luckily, they were going the opposite way. One DSC member killed a croc they named, "the giant of Kilombero." I have had more pleasant weather, (an understatement--it is hot) but did a LOT of actual hunting. Elephant, buff, hippo, the biggest crocs you will ever likely see, but limited plains game. Having said that, you can definitely get Puku there, which is rare. It is a still-wild area. Michel Mantheakis had a camp there. Some areas are better for trophy quality than others, of course.

I forgot to mention lion. There are still people being eaten by lion in Kilombero.

All great stuff, guys. Keep it coming.

To be clear, my intention was to hunt the Selous . . . sounds like being moved to Kilo is not a "downgrade"?

The northern blocs of the Selous are being removed from the hunting area and made into the Nyerere National Park. The Selous is a big place. A couple years ago the major operator in the Selous decided to go out of business and turned his concessions back to the government. Make sure how long the operator has had his area(s). Blocks may vary in quantity/quality.

As mentioned, puku are available in the Kilombero. One of the few places you can hunt them.

All the best on your decision. Look forward to hearing the decision you make and the reasons you made them.

The northern blocs of the Selous are being removed from the hunting area and made into the Nyerere National Park. The Selous is a big place. A couple years ago the major operator in the Selous decided to go out of business and turned his concessions back to the government. Make sure how long the operator has had his area(s). Blocks may vary in quantity/quality.

As mentioned, puku are available in the Kilombero. One of the few places you can hunt them.

All the best on your decision. Look forward to hearing the decision you make and the reasons you made them.

I think that is exactly what has driven me to this question. One of potential outfitters has lost his block to national park, cannot verify dates nor specific new block(s) where I would be hosted. That is a bit worrisome . . . to send a blind check and be good with showing up wherever, whenever doesn't give me the warm an fuzzies. the outfitter is hyper reputable but for a first-timer the situation seems not ideal.

I think that is exactly what has driven me to this question. One of potential outfitters has lost his block to national park, cannot verify dates nor specific new block(s) where I would be hosted. That is a bit worrisome . . . to send a blind check and be good with showing up wherever, whenever doesn't give me the warm an fuzzies. the outfitter is hyper reputable but for a first-timer the situation seems not ideal.

You might have the outfitter keep you updated on the status of obtaining the blocks. You may also have him clarify with you who the previous outfitter was and how long the blocks were vacant. If they were vacant, there is a decent chance they have had poaching going on. You might also ask about the anti-poaching previous to him obtaining the blocks.

I understand your trepidation. All the best on your decision.

You might consider the Niassa Reserve in northern Mozambique instead of the Selous. Same species and cheaper. Wild hunting with lots of cats and buffalo, sable, Niassa wildebeest, etc... I hunted there in 2014 so if you need a connection, let me know.

Reactions: AES
You might consider the Niassa Reserve in northern Mozambique instead of the Selous. Same species and cheaper. Wild hunting with lots of cats and buffalo, sable, Niassa wildebeest, etc... I hunted there in 2014 so if you need a connection, let me know.

This is for a trip in August so not an option. Thank you for the offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg