quarter rib, banded sling swivel and banded front sight kit interest

For clarity. All of the qrib top surfaces are parallel to the barrel boreline, no slopes. The slopes occur where the qrib interfaces to the barrel profile.
These are elegant parts and designed for NECG front beads (of any choice) and rear express sights (1 or 2 folding). Would not cut into them for rings, etc.
I should note the front sight base and qrib base boreline heights are set by the action square bridge height or if round action, scope base height and the selected front sight bead and filing depth for the rear express sights. This allows the best sight picture and height so the stock design with scope is compatible with the iron sights.
I should also note the qrib lower section is low and long enough to accommodate a 42mm or less objective lens using Talley medium rings. thanks
Steve
brlA_andy_kit1.jpg

brlA_andy_kit2.jpg

I don't mean to threadjack you, but here's the best way to do that on a custom Ruger #1. Have a quarter rib made that sets the ring locations back a bit. Have the quarter rib integrally machined for talley rings. purchase the Talley QD rear peep sight. Unfortunately, the Talley QD peep doesn't have an elevation adjustment if my memory serves, so you'll need to regulate it by changing the height of the front sight which is no big deal. ($15 lyman part number) Because the quarter rib slopes down, the gunsmith needs to determine at what depth the rebates must be cut so that the rings run parallel with the bore.

That's how you do it for what its worth.

I've asked Talley about this for years since I've had to do custom work each time. Their answer as recently as two weeks ago was the same. "While we do make a talley quarter rib for Winchester/Browning Low Wall Falling Blocks, the variance from lot to lot on the Ruger #1s prevent us from making a quarter rib that fits properly across each model."
Thanks, I can do the rib myself, hadn't thought about Talley, but I like to machine the peep in it and make it a flip up as it is really small and handy already installed. I was thinking a blank already set up and just needed fitting would be nice. I hadn't thought about the variable diameter, as I remove and fit the old ones as needed also. I can see as a company selling them though, in today's market how that would be a problem. Thanks for the advice.

Have you come up with pricing yet?

A gentleman asked about this on a Krieger #6 barrel contour. So thought might be of interest here. It is matched to a Rem 700 action with Talley scope bases, NECG 1 standing, 1 folding express sight and NECG 9mm tall small gold bead front sight.

what it would look like on the Krieger bull barrel:

View attachment unknown1_rem308brlArnd_2.jpg

quarter rib:

unknown1_rem308brlArnd_3.jpg

Front sight base:
unknown1_rem308brlArnd_4.jpg

I should note that the the ring is bored with the same taper as the Krieger barrel. Is this necessary?
no, but there it is...
Solder margin can also be account, say 20/1000 undersize on all the barrel mating surfaces.
Thanks
Steve

@Jefferry404 Have you ever tried to machine M98 bottom metal?

No. Tim, at Matrix Gunsmithing, only machines drop floorplates , custom followers, triggers, integral barrels (currently he is the only retail supplier) , mostly for his cz550 upgrades. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syncro76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?