quarter rib, banded sling swivel and banded front sight kit interest

Jefferry404

AH senior member
Reaction score
looking to see how much interest there might be in these items for gunsmiths. These are CNC machined, filed and polished. These can be either standard barrel profiles, such as Douglas, etc. or custom profiles. They are machined to the exact barrel contours, ensuring a seamless fit. The banded ring's inside diameters are tapered to the barrel profile. Thanks
Steve

qribkit_btm.jpg

Very cool, I'm a machinist and like to make stuff myself sometimes, good luck with your endeavor. They look great to me.

I also can machine some of my own parts but don’t have time these days. I would be interested in a stainless front sight and barrel band.

Last edited:
Especially the Quarter Rib! One other area that I see a deficiency in , Island bases for common 2-3 leaf express sights. Drift adjustment, no oversized clamp screw(Ugly)like the NECG base has.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is some interest ... in the price. Any idea what you'll be asking for this kit?

I would be interested

Could you make a replacement quarter rib for a Ruger No 1, with integrated rings, or better positioned holes for rings?

Although I have very little experience myself with No 1’s, I have come to understand that mounting an optic with a front bell is a tricky proposition, to ensure proper eye relief.

I would be interested also.

I am not a gunsmith, but I was wondering if a quarter rib could be made and installed on Ruger Hawkeye African, such that is would at least resemble the much better M77 MKII Express.can
Yes it can. If you provide me with the barrel profile (breech diameter, length of radius contour from the breech to when the barrel becomes linear taper and the barrel diameter at that point, will put in my data base. Thanks
Steve

Could you make a replacement quarter rib for a Ruger No 1, with integrated rings, or better positioned holes for rings?

Although I have very little experience myself with No 1’s, I have come to understand that mounting an optic with a front bell is a tricky proposition, to ensure proper eye relief.

Sadly, it cannot be done at volume. Credible firms have tried, but there is lot-to-lot variances amongst all the Ruger #1s that make a retrofit quarter rib that has integrated talley mounts impossible. It would all be custom work, one rifle at a time.

Gentlemen,
thanks for all feedback and interest. Regarding Ruger #1 and Ruger Hawkeye, these can be supported. The quarter rib is profile to any barrel contour and a 1 off custom is not a problem. Just need to know the barrel profiles. More info coming.
Steve

I would be Interested in some of those also, for different rings, like a QD ring and base set for the no 1, that would be awesome. Maybe a flip up rear peep sight in it

I would be Interested in some of those also, for different rings, like a QD ring and base set for the no 1, that would be awesome. Maybe a flip up rear peep sight in it

I don't mean to threadjack you, but here's the best way to do that on a custom Ruger #1. Have a quarter rib made that sets the ring locations back a bit. Have the quarter rib integrally machined for talley rings. purchase the Talley QD rear peep sight. Unfortunately, the Talley QD peep doesn't have an elevation adjustment if my memory serves, so you'll need to regulate it by changing the height of the front sight which is no big deal. ($15 lyman part number) Because the quarter rib slopes down, the gunsmith needs to determine at what depth the rebates must be cut so that the rings run parallel with the bore.

That's how you do it for what its worth.

I've asked Talley about this for years since I've had to do custom work each time. Their answer as recently as two weeks ago was the same. "While we do make a talley quarter rib for Winchester/Browning Low Wall Falling Blocks, the variance from lot to lot on the Ruger #1s prevent us from making a quarter rib that fits properly across each model."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinidadOg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.