Problem with single selective trigger

With regard to using a shotgun for defense, I recall a magazine article several years ago by a hunter whose guide carried a short (relatively) barreled 12 ga loaded with buckshot. As I recall the animal the encountered was a Leopard. The hunter questioned the guide about his choice of weapon and became convinced that at short range, as in dealing with an upset cat that wanted to put the bite on the hunter, the most effective transfer of energy and method of modifying behavior was 12 00 size pellets. From personal experience I recall a similar load being quite effective on people at close range.
Sir , by any chance did you serve in Vietnam ? A few of my clients did tours in Vietnam , as well . They recalled pump shot guns of 12 calibre / bore being used against the Vietcong in the jungle some times . The ammunition was , if l recall correctly 9 pellet SG ? (Which you American gentlemen know as 00 buck ) .

their were shotguns used in Vietnam, a friend carried a rem 870, but I had little faith in them as they were very shot range weopons. I preferred a m-14 but was forced to carry a m-16. I carried a m-60 on two actions and tho it was heavy that belt fed machine gun was the cats meow.

their were shotguns used in Vietnam, a friend carried a rem 870, but I had little faith in them as they were very shot range weopons. I preferred a m-14 but was forced to carry a m-16. I carried a m-60 on two actions and tho it was heavy that belt fed machine gun was the cats meow.
From 1 service man to another , l salute you. I served in the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971 . If l recall correctly , the M 60 LMG ( Light Machine Gun ) was called the " pig " . We saw some of them in use during the Liberation War by the West Pakistani forces and captured a few for our own use , when the Mukti Bahini overran the Pakistani fortification in Jessore . They used a 7.62 calibre cartridge , which used to come in metal link belts . We never saw the M 60E3 ( which has a pistol grip in the front ) though.
The most popular LMG during our Liberation War was the Soviet PK machine gun .

Reactions: WAB
In the Middle East it was often good to be reminded how effective a 7.62 MG could be chewing its way through walls and debris - worked equally well chewing its way through trees and brush on the other side of Asia. But it was a bitch to carry. Now if you had a vehicle nearby with a Ma Deuce, that was like bringing a tactical nuke to the festivities.

I never saw one with a pistol grip either, if my thoughts are clear after 50+ years the m-60,s we had weighted about 27 lbs and was carried weiste high with a sling looped around the butt and attached to the front sight and would be fired from the hip in walking fire, with belts carried in a cardboard box slung in a cloth bag. the helo door gunners liked worn out barrels for dust offs as they just held the trigger down and sprayed the whole out side perimeter.

In the Middle East it was often good to be reminded how effective a 7.62 MG could be chewing its way through walls and debris - worked equally well chewing its way through trees and brush on the other side of Asia. But it was a bitch to carry. Now if you had a vehicle nearby with a Ma Deuce, that was like bringing a tactical nuke to the festivities.
The Browning Model 2 HMG ( Heavy Machine Gun ) in .50 calibre was 1 of those fire arms which could mutilate entire corpses , sir. Very effective weapon . During the war , l saw 2 versions of this weapon. 1 had a heavy barrel and could sustain prolonged periods of fire without the barrel overheating. There was another version which was used in Pakistani air craft. It had a lighter barrel and a faster rate of fire . However , when these versions ( with the light barrel ) started getting mounted on top of jeeps , we discovered that they cannot sustain prolonged periods of gun fire without the barrels needing to be changed or time being given for them to cool .
I understand that the American Army now has a version with a quick change barrel configuration . However , l have not actually seen any in use during the Liberation War.

Loved that pig. Hell to lug around but oh, so effective. They did have a switch barrel capability which helped a lot in sustained fire. It could be fired from the shoulder in short bursts and was really quite accurate. Next to the M-1 Garand it was my favorite weapon.

Loved that pig. Hell to lug around but oh, so effective. They did have a switch barrel capability which helped a lot in sustained fire. It could be fired from the shoulder in short bursts and was really quite accurate. Next to the M-1 Garand it was my favorite weapon.
Oh , l remember the M1 Garand all too well , New Boomer. Many of our American clients used to bring them to India for shikar. After 8 cartridges were expended , the metal " clip " which held the cartridges popped out with a loud " ping ! " sound . In muddy terrain , or at night , it was some times extremely difficult for our coolies to recover the expended " clips " which had fallen on the forest floor . A coolie once almost lost a finger by trying to load 1 of the " clips " into a client's M1 Garand semi automatic rifle , when he came with us to cull wild boars . If l recall correctly , you cannot top up a partially expended " clip " inside the rifle .

I have to laugh out loud about the coolie's finger. M 1 thumb it was called and only took one application until one learned how to manipulate it. One of the drawbacks was that it could not be topped off. There is no way to lock the bolt open except on an empty gun. They were big and heavy but you could really reach out and touch someone. As General Patton said,"The finest battle implement ever devised."

i liked the m-1, but realy liked the m-14. 90 percent of the power with a 20 round magazine and fullauto if you needed it. I liked them so much I bought one of each to shoot in civilian life.
DSCN0017.JPG
DSCN9988.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Major Khan,
If there are proof marks on the barrel flats or the water table, I would be pleased to try to decipher them as I have done on a couple of my doubles of foreign origin. If the marks are there and standard, The Standard Directory of Proof Marks should help to interpret the marks. I have that book.
You can take photos of the barrel flats and the water tables and post them if you want me to take a look. If you wish to keep the marks private, you may provide them with a Private Message.

Leslie,
Never took to the M-14. After the M-1 it just didn't feel right to me. Didn't matter, I had my pig.

7.62 MG could be chewing its way through walls and debris - worked equally well chewing its way through trees and brush on the other side of Asia. But it was a bitch to carry
27 lbs I think.

a Ma Deuce, that was like bringing a tactical nuke to the festivities.

Yes and yes.

Major Khan,
If there are proof marks on the barrel flats or the water table, I would be pleased to try to decipher them as I have done on a couple of my doubles of foreign origin. If the marks are there and standard, The Standard Directory of Proof Marks should help to interpret the marks. I have that book.
You can take photos of the barrel flats and the water tables and post them if you want me to take a look. If you wish to keep the marks private, you may provide them with a Private Message.
This time , I am 1 step ahead of you , Crs . I sent an e mail to a gentleman who operates a web site called " Belgian guns " and took a photograph of the barrel flats 3 weeks ago . The gentleman said that the proof marks are indicative of " Robar & Sons " . The sole purpose of the web site is to identify old obscure Belgian fire arms.

I can still , however get around to posting photographs of the barrel flats of the shot gun , if you would like . I will take it apart and provide some photographs of it here, eventually ( l deleted the old photograph to save storage space in my smart phone ).

Last edited:
if you carried the m-60 with more than one belt of ammo it would drag your pants down, several men carried a extra belt and several rounds of blooper ammo(m-79) for those that carried the m-60,m-79 as theose weopens could make a big difference in a fire fight. get the hot dogs and hambergers out, here comes the heat.

DSCN9802 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news on Robar and Son.
No need to send further information, thanks.

I bought a new Beretta Parallelo SxS about a year ago. I have been shooting clays and pigeons for a while but all too often the second pull of the trigger is a misfire and it fails to shoot. I took it back to the dealer and they told me the trigger mechanism is in perfect order and that I must just use heavier loads than the no. 7s I have been using. I feel I should be able to use any charge. I also tried to complain with Beretta but their client service is non-existent. What to do? I will be greatful to hear your advices.

put a plate or silvers pad on it. Less recoil absorption will kick in the inertia trigger.

You should not have to do that! My goodness, we shoot .410’s with single selective triggers. Are you absolutely certain that you are fully releasing the trigger between shots?

You should not have to do that! My goodness, we shoot .410’s with single selective triggers. Are you absolutely certain that you are fully releasing the trigger between shots?

+1 on the above. In sporting clays you shoot the little 2 1/2” shells in .410 events. My little browning 625 with single selective trigger resets every time!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg