Possible 2024 European Vacation, Where to go?!

Aaron N

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Gentlemen,

My wife and I are floating the idea of spending a month in Europe next summer with our two boys(7/5). About ten years ago we spent three weeks in Barcelona, Nice, Florence, and Venice, and like the idea of one or two home bases that don’t break the bank, as opposed to being on the move. We would likely want to spend two weeks near some water, and two more weeks somewhere scenic, but nothing is written in stone. Here are some possible destinations off the top of my head:
-Spain
-Portugal
-Croatia
-Greece
-Romania
-Bulgaria, Moldova, Macedonia, Albania (I’m not too sure about these countries)
-Possibly move to another country like Austria or Germany

It would be great if I could add on a reasonably priced hunt as well. Any input from you guys would be appreciated!

Greece (except Santorini & Mykonos), Croatia (except Dubrovnik), Romania, and Bulgaria are all “cheaper” then other European countries. Croatia and Slovenia are both very scenic counties. Slovenia reminds me of Switzerland with its mountains. The coastal cities in Croatia are also very scenic, but not the best beaches. I suspect you could find “reasonably priced hunts” in those countries except Greece. Just a word of caution, don’t expect western train service in those countries.

My favorite area is Europe is the Bernese Overland in Switzerland, but it’s also the most expensive.

Greece (except Santorini & Mykonos), Croatia (except Dubrovnik), Romania, and Bulgaria are all “cheaper” then other European countries. Croatia and Slovenia are both very scenic counties. Slovenia reminds me of Switzerland with its mountains. The coastal cities in Croatia are also very scenic, but not the best beaches. I suspect you could find “reasonably priced hunts” in those countries except Greece.

My favorite area is Europe is the Bernese Overland in Switzerland, but it’s also the most expensive.
My choice also 1000% , blows Western Europe out of the water!!!

I’m voting for España, my favorite European country so far. Add a hunting trip, and a day trip to Africa (Morocco)

Last edited:
Last September, I hunted Roebuck in Romania. My wife and I really enjoyed the entire experience there. We then went to Croatia where I hunted fallow deer and mouflon and that was wonderful as well, but in a much different way. I'd do either experiences again if given the chance.

I’m voting for España, my favorite European country so far. Add a hunting trip, and a day trip to Africa (Morocco)
I think two weeks along the coast, outside of a major Center, and then two weeks in the mountains sounds about right!

Greece (except Santorini & Mykonos), Croatia (except Dubrovnik), Romania, and Bulgaria are all “cheaper” then other European countries. Croatia and Slovenia are both very scenic counties. Slovenia reminds me of Switzerland with its mountains. The coastal cities in Croatia are also very scenic, but not the best beaches. I suspect you could find “reasonably priced hunts” in those countries except Greece. Just a word of caution, don’t expect western train service in those countries.

I will look into Slovenia, it wasn’t even on my radar

We do Europe every year. We like Spain a lot. And Barcelona provides just a taste. This year we will be in Austria and northern Italy. With the time you have allotted, rent a villa in either the South of Spain, South of France, or Northern Italy. I assume it is possible to do the same in southern Eastern Europe. Use that as a base of exploration. You will save a lot of money otherwise spent on hotels. From any of the three locations you can do two to four-day excursions almost anywhere. If you opt for the South of France (my choice in your case) watch "A Good Year" as part of your preparation (fabulous underrated romantic wine comedy staring Russel Crowe and Marion Cotillard) .

A competent travel agent can set it up easily. We use Shawn at Gracy Travel for all our foreign tourist exploits as well as hunting related travel. She has arranged cars, drivers, guides, hotels, etc for our coming trip and many previous ones. With a month to play with, a car rental likely makes much more sense than trains and chauffeurs.

Last edited:
Any suggestions?
I went to school in Madrid then left for Texas via coasta del sol , morocco, Malta, Venice, got on a train east through sloviena, croatia Serbia, to hungary , Prague
to Amsterdam to Texas
each location was worth a whole week or two to see ! Lol

We do Europe every year. We like Spain a lot. And Barcelona provides just a taste. This year we will be in Austria and northern Italy. With the time you have allotted, rent a villa in either the South of Spain, South of France, or Northern Italy. I assume it is possible to do the same in southern Eastern Europe. Use that as a base of exploration. You will save a lot of money otherwise spent on hotels. From any of the three locations you can do two to four-day excursions almost anywhere. If you opt for the South of France (my choice in your case) watch "A Good Year" as part of your preparation (fabulous underrated romantic wine comedy staring Russel Crowe and Marion Cotillard) .

A competent travel agent can set it up easily. We use Shawn at Gracy Travel for all our foreign tourist exploits as well as hunting related travel. She has arranged cars, drivers, guides, hotels, etc for our coming trip and many previous ones. With a month to play with, a car rental likely makes much more sense than trains and chauffeurs.
I was waiting for you to chime in about Spain. I remember how great your last trip looked! I am partial to Southern France, but I’m not sure how budget friendly it would be for a travelling family.

As far as having a home base goes, that’s the plan. Find a condo or house and make it home for 2-4 weeks. Preferably in a large town/small city away from the hustle and bustle.

I lived in southern Spain for 2 years. It will be very hot there in the summer, so definitely check average weather with the dates you are traveling.

the beaches at the south of Portugal are very scenic. Much of souther Spain/Portugal is easy to tour in a rental car.

While possible to go to Morocco for a day trip, I’d suggest you make it a slightly longer trip and get a car there to drive around. It is quite beautiful.

While it may seem strange to go to one country, then leave for a 1-3 day trip, don’t forget that much of Europe is east to get to from any of the major cities. When you are there, a flight to just about anywhere in Europe is very cheap. You could base out of one place and have multiple easy and cheap trips. I always battle with the idea of how much time to spend in a place. It is easy to spend weeks/months one area. But you could also just fly to, say, Istanbul for just a 1-3 day trip. $100 flights make that easy.

I went to school in Madrid then left for Texas via coasta del sol , morocco, Malta, Venice, got on a train east through sloviena, croatia Serbia, to hungary , Prague
to Amsterdam to Texas
each location was worth a whole week or two to see ! Lol
Sounds like a helluvan adveunture!

Wow what a jealousy enticing thread!!! Fortunately for me I have visited most but not all the places you guys mentioned due to contracting in Eastern Europe and the Middle East for 13 years. Pretty sure that won't happen again for me due to age and health. But I sure am glad that I did.

Wow what a jealousy enticing thread!!! Fortunately for me I have visited most but not all the places you guys mentioned due to contracting in Eastern Europe and the Middle East for 13 years. Pretty sure that won't happen again for me due to age and health. But I sure am glad that I did.
Done let those stop you!

Switzerland for scenic and peaceful. The cleanest county I have been too.

Slovenia is a gem

Croatia is stunning and unique. The Adriatic Sea is great.

I road tripped through all these countries after graduating. Im glad I did these more some what "Unique" destinations

Hub out of Ljubljana, Slovenia. It's a beautiful with a lot thing to do and it only about 2 hours to Rijeka on the Croatia Coast. The Croatia Coast line has gorgeous beach up and down it and just inland great hiking trails and stunning national parks. Example KrKa Waterfalls. https://www.npkrka.hr/en_US/ Depending on the time of the year it does get crowed. Last time I was there we hired a car in Dubrovnik and drive north to Ljubljana then on to Bratislava. Spent 10 days just taking our time.

If you want to hunt, remember it the northern hemisphere so summer is not the best hunting time. You can hunt Roe Deer and Boer in Romania during the summer. Maybe base at Budapest, its short flight to Bucharest or a very scenic train ride to there or the nearest stop off in the Carpathian or Calimani Mountains. Budapest is only about a 5 hour drive to the coast. If you like history Budapest is good base.

Hub out of Ljubljana, Slovenia. It's a beautiful with a lot thing to do and it only about 2 hours to Rijeka on the Croatia Coast. The Croatia Coast line has gorgeous beach up and down it and just inland great hiking trails and stunning national parks. Example KrKa Waterfalls. https://www.npkrka.hr/en_US/ Depending on the time of the year it does get crowed. Last time I was there we hired a car in Dubrovnik and drive north to Ljubljana then on to Bratislava. Spent 10 days just taking our time.

If you want to hunt, remember it the northern hemisphere so summer is not the best hunting time. You can hunt Roe Deer and Boer in Romania during the summer. Maybe base at Budapest, its short flight to Bucharest or a very scenic train ride to there or the nearest stop off in the Carpathian or Calimani Mountains. Budapest is only about a 5 hour drive to the coast. If you like history Budapest is good base.
It seems like stag hunting may start around Aug 15?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg