Poor Man's Double Rifle / Leopard Gun - Sauer Royal 12 GA

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I have for sale a J P Sauer - Royal 12GA 2.75" Side by Side Boxlock Ejector that has been shortened and fitted with rifle sights. From the research I have done it was made in the late 1950's.

I purchased this gun about 15 years ago and told it was a "leopard gun", I have to admit that I have never fired it other than today with a pair of snap caps, the triggers and ejectors function as they should. This gun appears to have seen very little use, bores are very clean and overall condition shows little use.

Obviously this gun has been modified, the barrels are approximately 22" long and very nice rifle sights have been fitted, there is a nice recoil pad and spacer on the gun, The gun has sling swivels mounting points and a raised cheek piece. Overall length 38.5", LOP 14.75".

The only issues I can see is a small slightly visible hairline surface crack in the stock on the right hand side behind the action and an even fainter version on the left side. The end of the left barrel has a very slight blemish on the outer rim.

I am trying to make some room in my gun safes and selling a few guns that I just don't shoot.

$1,000 including shipping to your FFL dealer in the lower 48 states. I can send better quality photos if needed to your email address.

Sauer 1.jpg
Sauer 2.jpg
Sauer 4.jpg
Sauer 5.jpg
Sauer 6.jpg
Sauer 7.jpg
Sauer 8.jpg
Sauer 9.jpg
Sauer 10.jpg
Sauer 11.jpg
Sauer 12.jpg
Sauer 13.jpg
Sauer 14.jpg
Sauer 15.jpg
Sauer 16.jpg
Sauer 17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, I think I've read some stuff about them used with slugs and buck shot on this forum. Awesome poor mans double.

It’s a fast handling gun that mounts really nice. My plan was deer in the lower non rifle Michigan zone, life got busy and I purchased a large woodland acreage in the rifle zone. New guns force gun vault clean out, shame I never hunted with it.

That’s actually very cool and the second shotgun I have seen converted like this and intended for leopard. The other was for a Tanzanian PH, and was much more ornate, but he swore by it over a rifle or full-length shotgun for leopards. Enjoy that thing.

Dang it I just got on here to buy this thing. Congrats @SLG

Just picked up the gun after a delay by the Post Office. Had me worried that they lost it but no, it made it here ok. UpNorthMI is a great guy to deal with and the gun is exactly as described. Can't wait to wring it out properly. Seems like it will be a great understudy for a double rifle.

Should be a great slug gun for deer or pigs.

Should be a great slug gun for deer or pigs.
I have a buddy that has one made by whitworth arms and that thing is an absolute hammer for deer, hogs and he shoots turkeys with it. If it shoots anything like my friend @SLG ahould be very pleased with his purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross