Troubleshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, Canada, West Germany, Romania
And here is the fellow who I use. I find his "Sharp Site" tinted lenses particularly helpful. http://rxsportoptics.com/shooting.html

This is merely to provide some ideas regarding options. I suspect that the OP can find someone closer to home.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.29.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.29.25 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.29.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.29.28 AM.png
    661.2 KB · Views: 14

Vintageguy

AH member
Reaction score
I have an old Winchester lever gun that has buckhorn style sights that I didn't want to mess with so I took a bright white flat paint for the front sight and put a bright red pen point dot at the base of the center of the back sight and my eyes pick it up well while focusing on the front sight. I just sprayed a Q-tip and for the front and then a tooth pick on the back. Made low light much better too and if you don't like it or the color combo a Q-tip, thinner and 15 seconds and it's gone.

MS 9x56

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have an old Winchester lever gun that has buckhorn style sights that I didn't want to mess with so I took a bright white flat paint for the front sight and put a bright red pen point dot at the base of the center of the back sight and my eyes pick it up well while focusing on the front sight. I just sprayed a Q-tip and for the front and then a tooth pick on the back. Made low light much better too and if you don't like it or the color combo a Q-tip, thinner and 15 seconds and it's gone.
I had a rifle with buck horn sight. I used a deemed tool to cut the horns off then ground the sides into a shallow V. Now I can see the animal and it works much better especially on moving shots.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Suggest you shoot when using corrective lenses
Great open sights / fine
But
I’m not great sunlight you may not place a merciful shot

Chuck Kazen

Reaction score
If you wish to stick with traditional iron sights, Longwalker has offered a good solution above. Try a large aperture "ghost ring" rear with whatever type sight your eyes can pick up best out front. This way you don't need to focus on the rear sight. I just did this with an 1886 Winchester and can't believe the improvement. After that, I didn't need to do anything with the tiny bead front sight that came on the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VitoLewort

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.