POLL: Preferred Big Bore Cartridge?

POLL: Preferred Big Bore Cartridge?

• Total voters
With handloads they are pretty much the same since the .458 Win has a longer throat than the Lott allowing bullets to be seated longer in some actions like the CZ 550 and Ruger No.1H.
Far from that......people who own 458WM believe this....WM can never achieve what the LOTT can simple.....and forget about the Aussies as they have powder which only they have access to which works in the WM.....

W
Far from that......people who own 458WM believe this....WM can never achieve what the LOTT can simple.....and forget about the Aussies as they have powder which only they have access to which works in the WM.....
What powder can Aussies get for the 458 WM that no one else can get?

I, too am a fan of IVW, he talks straight but history and facts speak for themselves. A 480 gr bullet at 2150 fps of .458 cal has done the job since 1898. As we all know the 458 Win can today reach that 2150fps goal.
I use a 458 Lott before someone asks.

I could have bought a pristine CZ 550 in .458 Lott for $700!

Still kicking myself.....

what powder can only the Aussie get for the 458 win mag?

ADI according to their website they never ship overseas to the detremint of the local loaders....aparantly the best powder for the 458WM....

Depends what powder you are talking about but Hodgdon h4895, varget and h4350 are made by ADI. So they don’t sell it as ADI overseas but they do make powder that is sold overseas

Right now it is the .450/400

I've never suffered from buyer's remorse.

Only seller's remorse and stupid "paralysis by analysis"

Mainly, my problem is "paralysis by analysis".

I'll blame it on too much formal science education...

For me I favor the .577NE if a Double even over the .600NE...
(had both)
But in a Bolt the .600 Overkill
(below)
20190314_215236.jpg

I understand the point of the poll but lumping in flanged cartridges that are typically used in doubles with non-rimmed (or just belted) cartridges in bolt guns isn't fair.

Also think there should be a dividing line around the .450 to .470 caliber. Below that is definitely a big bore, but above it moves into "stopping" calibers. The purposes and typical use change as the caliber goes up.

I could have bought a pristine CZ 550 in .458 Lott for $700!

Still kicking myself.....
Yes many moons ago. That is were they started at. At the very biggining 450 Rogby,500j,505 gibbs were at 1800 bare bone. Everything else were below 1k.
Then came fancy stock, cross bolts, bedding, recoi reducers, action smoothening, bolt and magazine follower zwelling and so on. Price went up.
Krish

Yes many moons ago. That is were they started at. At the very biggining 450 Rogby,500j,505 gibbs were at 1800 bare bone. Everything else were below 1k.
Then came fancy stock, cross bolts, bedding, recoi reducers, action smoothening, bolt and magazine follower zwelling and so on. Price went up.
Krish
When was this? Approximately

Krish
Yes, and then came notice of production to be ceased and prices went as we are evpierencing. Just give the price a few more years as to availability and inflation.
Saddest is the loss of the CZ Pro shop and AHR at the same time.

Looks like we currently have a 3-way tie.

Still no love for the 577NE.

The .577NE is not a civilian sport hunting gun for the average reader. It's a professional's stopping gun when they must intercede at 2 paces to drop something very big and angry, instantaneously.

The only client that would benefit from a 577NE is a dedicated, annual elephant hunter that specializes in that particular game extensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois