POLL: Preferred Big Bore Cartridge?

POLL: Preferred Big Bore Cartridge?

• Total voters
.505 Gibbs. I’m a little disappointed that you didn’t put the .600 Nitro Express out there.
I ran out of poll choice options and I have a feeling that 577 NE is as big as most people are willing to go. Of course there are plenty of options not listed above that I'm sure are fan favourites among many here.

Hate to split hairs….but I think “big bores” start at 45 caliber. The 416 is a medium bore. Am I wrong?

.375 H&H - Assuming you actually meant “overall utility.” Couldn’t come up with a real need for a client to drag around a true big bore.

And I own a .404, 500/416, and a .470. Though that may be two other mediums.:unsure:

Last edited:
What?! No .495 A-Square? I know - pretty much a dead cartridge. I picked .458 Lott due to availability of ammo & rifles, and as big as you can get with those two criteria satisfied.

Since you specified Big Bore, I can't use my favorite rifle for all around use - .375 Ruger - and yes, that is also problematic - Hornady won't make cases for reloading - only ammo - and no one else will swallow their pride and make ammo and components. May have to get a .375 H&H just to be able to get those/shoot the .375 bore.

Last edited:
What?! No .495 A-Square? I know - pretty much a dead cartridge. I picked .458 Lott due to availability of ammo & rifles, and as big as you can get with those two criteria satisfied.

Since you specified Big Bore, I can't use my favorite rifle for all around use - .375 Ruger - and yes, that is also problematic - Hornady won't make cases for reloading - only ammo - and no one else will swallow their pride and make ammo and components. May have to get a .375 H&H just to be able to get those/shoot the .375 bore.
Swift bullets makes factory ammo for the 375 Ruger.

Ummm, lots of votes for medium bores on this big bore poll. .458 Lott for me. It just gets the job done.

Are these guys for real?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.16.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.16.03 AM.png
    793.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.16.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.16.05 AM.png
    944.8 KB · Views: 89
505 Gibbs in a bolt action and 577NE for the double

HH

700 NE for anything. Strap a lead sled to your shoulder and have at it! I find it wakes one up better than coffee. Hands down my favorite answer for polls. If an over and under 700/22mag Nick them in the scrotum with the latter to get the day started off right.

Funny how the win mag and lott were lumped together as they clearly perform differently. 500 A-sq

AmmoSeek shows Hornady .375 Ruger at $75/20 round box - that makes Swift's prices a bit steep! ($122/20 rounds!) However, I did not know that stye made it. Buffalo Bore also makes it, but it is up around $125/20.

Tarbe - you must have found a vendor that bought a metric boatload a long time ago - when I called Hornady a year ago, they indicated that they would not make any cases available - only ammo.

8673 is the Hornady part number for 375 Ruger brass. Sportsmans shows it in stock?

For general utility ammunition availability becomes an important factor so the 458 Lott wins out due to being able to use the .458 win Mag ammo as well. If the question were to be about the best stopping rifle then the answer would be different and probably would be a .500 of some description be it Jeffrey, Gibbs or Nitro Express

I put my tick against 500 J

Only coz the question was about big bores - which I read as large bore

That excludes ( in my OCD brain ) the medium calibres like 375, 404 j, 416 etc

I might have ticked the Lott, but it was pidgin holed with 458 Win (which once again my tiny little OCD brain couldn’t deal with)

I had to chalk at least one up for the 460 Weatherby.
The more I shoot mine, the more I'm enamored with it. I'm 100% positive any negative remarks are due to the Mark V features and fit and old technology projectiles.
At least in my A2 it has proven accurate, precise, reliable, and powerful to at all distances Ive shot, all with a great fit. Might ruffle some feathers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross