Just listened to Hegseth's remarks. I have no problem with them. Indeed, I strongly support the renewed focus on warfighting. That said, I am not sure it was necessary to get everyone in the same room, but it I assume it will make more news than a zoom call.
In the Army in which I served, height - weight - and fitness standards were an important part of the self-discipline required of being a warfighter. Those slowly eroded as the GWOT continued and recruiting and retention numbers began to fall. This was particularly obvious in non-combat commands and MOS's. The National Guard and reserves became a real mess. Our previous chairman could not have possibly met the then current physical fitness standards, though I am confident every division commander would right now. I also support the single standard for actual combat positions rather than gender normed ones. Try breaking track or pulling the final drive as part of a three-person MLRS crew when two of them are female. Even in a staff role like Chief of Legislative Liasson in the early 2000's, I ran a bit over three-miles from the Pentagon to the Supreme Court and back every noon and took a PT test annually.
Props to the Marine Corps for better resisting the looser standards.
In the Army in which I served, height - weight - and fitness standards were an important part of the self-discipline required of being a warfighter. Those slowly eroded as the GWOT continued and recruiting and retention numbers began to fall. This was particularly obvious in non-combat commands and MOS's. The National Guard and reserves became a real mess. Our previous chairman could not have possibly met the then current physical fitness standards, though I am confident every division commander would right now. I also support the single standard for actual combat positions rather than gender normed ones. Try breaking track or pulling the final drive as part of a three-person MLRS crew when two of them are female. Even in a staff role like Chief of Legislative Liasson in the early 2000's, I ran a bit over three-miles from the Pentagon to the Supreme Court and back every noon and took a PT test annually.
Props to the Marine Corps for better resisting the looser standards.
Last edited:
