Brent in Az
AH ambassador
There should be a law, that no taxes or tariffs will be due or payable to the federal government during a shutdown.
I guess I'm one of those people who needed to watch it, however after watching it my honest opinion is that it's on a news outlet made by boomers for boomers and the content essentially comes down to a big clap and cheer session for boomers.Worth watching. If you follow any social media other than site it is full of the economic woes of the millennial generations in comparison to Boomers. This is a healthy dose of economic reality that no one who needs it will see.
Actually, they did...The most important thing that they never mentioned was purchasing power......
They mention that there are bigger and nicer homes - this is true because no homes are built in the $170K range which adjusted for inflation should be the cost of a 3 bedroom, instead of the $430K+ average 3 bedroom we are looking at.
Worth watching. If you follow any social media other than this site it is full of the economic woes of the millennial generations in comparison to Boomers. This is a healthy dose of economic reality that no one who needs it will see.
I saw that. My daughter and her friend were there Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, they closed for about 45 minutes because of overcrowding and told folks to leave and come back later.Munich Oktoberfest shut down after bomb threat and deadly explosion.
Without trying to be offensive here, I've never seen such a boomer-y video.Worth watching. If you follow any social media other than this site it is full of the economic woes of the millennial generations in comparison to Boomers. This is a healthy dose of economic reality that no one who needs it will see.
I mean... I'm not talking about me. I am 30 years old and I have a home, a nice car, a decent pension fund, etc, etc.Keep telling yourself that. All 4 of my kids have way better houses and lifestyles than I had at their age. How the eff did that happen? I don’t recall them coming to
me for a loan.
If you think you can, or you think you can’t..,,you’re right.
All this depends where you live and the choices you want to make.Keep telling yourself that. All 4 of my kids have way better houses and lifestyles than I had at their age. How the eff did that happen? I don’t recall them coming to
me for a loan.
If you think you can, or you think you can’t..,,you’re right.
It's an interesting hypothesis and one I wanted to test. So let's dig into that.I think the cost of "being an adult" today are illusions of the left. Yes, we can show anecdotal short-term increases in mortgage rates, fuel, and food as others have pointed out, but the biggest barrier to getting ahead is the younger generation's sense of entitlement.
I'm not elderly, I'm a gen-X person around age 50, but let me give some compare and contrasts of what I see as typical with my generation versus the younger generations that have all the compliants:
1.) I have ALWAYS had a side hustle. Since I was 14, I always had a business that covered my hobbies. Most younger people do not have a side hustle after they've done their 40 hours for their employer.
2.) My first home was the cheapest house in a very good town. It was abandoned, broken windows, it had an abandoned car in the driveway an a family of raccoons in the garage. I lived in squalor for 7 years turning my $141k house into a $535k house with sweat equity and a complete gutting. This isn't an unusual thing for most readers, but only 1:1000 millennials would make these sacrifices that were normal for Baby Boomers.
3.) Even when I was earning six figures, I drove lousy cars. Even when I entered the C-Suite in my late 30s, my vehicles were inferior to my team of VPs, and even inferior to their teams of Directors. I believe in earlier generations it was very normal for the CEO and the janitor to drive shitboxes.
4.) I'm in a high tech field. My phones are 3 year old refurbished ones I pay $250 for whereas younger people are financing $1500 new phones.
5.) I always had the highest deduction insurances and a catastrophic emergency fund to address them in a crisis. This was absolutely normal for older generations whereas younger people are paying a lot more for coverages because they lacked the discipline to save and they lacked the balls to take more insurance risk.
6.) Cable and streaming services
7.) Doordash and eating out, rather than making stuff at home.
8.) Pay for your education as you attend. I spent $80k on my MBA but I funded 90% of it out of pocket whereas modern youth take out large loans.
9.) Dumpster diving and hand me downs. This was always normal for my generation. Even my wife and her girlfriends swap vintage $1500 designer dresses amongst one another rather than buy one new. Not owning new is normal.
10.) Ebay, thrift stores, and garage sales. Buying things used is my first instinct as it was for many GenX and baby boomers, yet it is not a common practice of youth.
Those are just some of a thousand examples of "the way things were for GenX and baby boomers, but is not normal for younger generations that are more entitled to luxury." I literally earn 10x the average salary of a GenY yet I spend the same or less than they do in each of the conspicuous consumption categories. No wonder they are wingeing and complaining they can't have what we have, their habits and frugality are not the same as our generations.
Most individuals have no clue or desire to live within or below their means in order to save for tomorrow, their future or their kids future. Most want instant gratification now.I think the cost of "being an adult" today are illusions of the left. Yes, we can show anecdotal short-term increases in mortgage rates, fuel, and food as others have pointed out, but the biggest barrier to getting ahead is the younger generation's sense of entitlement.
I'm not elderly, I'm a gen-X person around age 50, but let me give some compare and contrasts of what I see as typical with my generation versus the younger generations that have all the compliants:
1.) I have ALWAYS had a side hustle. Since I was 14, I always had a business that covered my hobbies. Most younger people do not have a side hustle after they've done their 40 hours for their employer.
2.) My first home was the cheapest house in a very good town. It was abandoned, broken windows, it had an abandoned car in the driveway an a family of raccoons in the garage. I lived in squalor for 7 years turning my $141k house into a $535k house with sweat equity and a complete gutting. This isn't an unusual thing for most readers, but only 1:1000 millennials would make these sacrifices that were normal for Baby Boomers.
3.) Even when I was earning six figures, I drove lousy cars. Even when I entered the C-Suite in my late 30s, my vehicles were inferior to my team of VPs, and even inferior to their teams of Directors. I believe in earlier generations it was very normal for the CEO and the janitor to drive shitboxes.
4.) I'm in a high tech field. My phones are 3 year old refurbished ones I pay $250 for whereas younger people are financing $1500 new phones.
5.) I always had the highest deduction insurances and a catastrophic emergency fund to address them in a crisis. This was absolutely normal for older generations whereas younger people are paying a lot more for coverages because they lacked the discipline to save and they lacked the balls to take more insurance risk.
6.) Cable and streaming services
7.) Doordash and eating out, rather than making stuff at home.
8.) Pay for your education as you attend. I spent $80k on my MBA but I funded 90% of it out of pocket whereas modern youth take out large loans.
9.) Dumpster diving and hand me downs. This was always normal for my generation. Even my wife and her girlfriends swap vintage $1500 designer dresses amongst one another rather than buy one new. Not owning new is normal.
10.) Ebay, thrift stores, and garage sales. Buying things used is my first instinct as it was for many GenX and baby boomers, yet it is not a common practice of youth.
Those are just some of a thousand examples of "the way things were for GenX and baby boomers, but is not normal for younger generations that are more entitled to luxury." I literally earn 10x the average salary of a GenY yet I spend the same or less than they do in each of the conspicuous consumption categories. No wonder they are wingeing and complaining they can't have what we have, their habits and frugality are not the same as our generations.
My wife and I met in high school and married in May 1984, the month after we graduated college. We had a net worth of -$95,000. Yup, nearly $100K under water. We somehow parlayed a couple of offer letters for good jobs and $10k in cash we’d saved working part time jobs into a loan for a $75K condo. Please understand that a $75k condo was far from an AVERAGE home in 1984. It was what we used to call a starter home. Oh yeah, the mortgage interest rate as 13%
So, sell your sad stories elsewhere.