Please forgive my ignorance - Is there such a thing as a high fence croc hunt?

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
Is there such a thing as a high fence croc hunt? I was on youtube watching a crocodile hunt with a well know hunting personality. The hunt was taking place along the Limpopo in South Africa. It was pretty entertaining. The host of the show was looking for a 14 footer plus. I noticed they were hunting along various river banks ect ect with no luck. You can tell it was free range. They saw some crocs but they in the 10-11 foot range.

Near the end of the show the PH said someone radioed of a possible 14 footer in a small pool. Well, after the tv break they went to this small pool. It was probably 30 yards wide then it opened up into a circle about 50 yards in circumference. I couldn't see where water was being fed into this pool and it looked man made. Where they were hunting before looked like a natural river bank. Sure enough the croc was huge but he didn't act like he was afraid of these guys. He submerged a few times then he'd pop up. They stalked to like within 25 yards of him. They stood on the bank the host was using a .375 h&h. I mean they were talking & taking there time and this crocodile was just sitting in the water looking at them. He got up on the sticks the croc never moved just wading there broad side. He made a brain shot and just turned him over. The PH snag him with a fishing rod and sure enough he was 14 feet 2 inches.

I'm just wondering is it such thing? Im not here to debate politics. Just wondering do people get these enormous crocs and put them in small pools for a hunt that's all.

BTW can someone explain to me why Ethiopians outlawed hunting crocs? I was told possibly the biggest crocs on earth but certainly the biggest crocs in Africa live there. Thanks.

I’ve seen the show you’re talking about. I thought the very same thing, and in fact, turned the damn thing off! Yes, there are captive crocodiles on offer in a number of places, mostly in South Africa. Where there is a dollar to be made, such hunts will be offered somewhere. I’m not a free range purist. I think hunting a large, fenced game reserve with no internal fences can be totally sporting. But a in a puddle? Not so much.

Regrettably yes. The same is done with hippo. There is a horrible video out there somewhere that shows the intrepid client breathlessly pursuing a hippo around a stock pond with his compound bow.

Yea that goes on in RSA.

If you really want to be disgusted, watch the croc "hunt" in the movie Trophy. Appalling.... That crap is what really hurts South Africa's reputation. And hunters in general. The drunken "hunters" with obvious no regard for anything decent are bad enough. But add in the rotund "farmer" from RSA, and the Outfitter and PH.... Yea.... NO.

On the other hand the lion segment with the poor villagers keeping their last cow inside their hut with them to protect it from marauding lions at risk of the lion breaking in to get at the cow... VS the robust woman in England protesting hunting, especially wild lions..... I digress...

Not sure about elsewhere but I've hunted croc in Mozambique where they enjoyed snacking on the plentiful and seemingly carefree villagers. We found nothing big, in spite of the village locals claims. And the ones we did see were very spooking and quick to dive under and disappear. Also tried in Zimbabwe and again they were very skittish.

I was hunting on a large well managed fenced property in Limpopo that did have a large population of resident crocs in a "free range" type of situation. There was a river flow age that was dammed but overflowing. It created a large swelled out pool or even reservoir and some marshy areas. It had lots if crocs up to and perhaps just over 12'. They would scatter when we drove across the dam but you could see some under water right there. Some were also downstream. I know they were available to shoot and it was a better situation than the ponds referenced. When I asked what they lived on, the comment was fish they catch plus anything else they can catch. But you know the truth can tend to be handled carelessly... I'm sure they at least supplement fed them when no clients around. And I'm sure it woukd be a challenging hunt threading a bullet through between all the small ones. Definitely a much better situation than that 14 footer stocked into that pond.

I'm not qualified to answer your question....but I know when I went croc hunting with my husband in Mozambique, they were VERY skittish and VERY hard to get close to. No way would one just sit around like that. Also, it seems that some of those shows are a farce. Some hunting show here in Idaho pretended they were on some big hunt in the backcountry...but we heard from locals, they were picked up in a helicopter each night to sleep in a comfy lodge. Then they shot a antelope in an area of Idaho that has ZERO antelope!

I’ve seen the show you’re talking about. I thought the very same thing, and in fact, turned the damn thing off! Yes, there are captive crocodiles on offer in a number of places, mostly in South Africa. Where there is a dollar to be made, such hunts will be offered somewhere. I’m not a free range purist. I think hunting a large, fenced game reserve with no internal fences can be totally sporting. But a in a puddle? Not so much.
:S Agree:

Thanks for the answers guys I thought it was something a little off.
Quite right! It is really appalling some of the videos out there. Then the anti and non hunters have a hay day with it and use garbage like that to further their anti and non hunting agendas.
You can educate ignorance, but you cannot stupidity. Also the close minded people who have their mind made up that this is how it is and that is that. Tragic.

Oh boy could I talk about this, BUT I will bite my tongue somewhat. I hunted croc in SA 2021, yes in ponds within a game fence and on the crocodile river. Overall it was an OK hunt, not what I was told and or IAW answers to my pre deposit questions. It was much less costs than any other countries croc hunts.

When you see a SA outfitter put up an add for a croc hunt and TF are listed in 6" increments. DO NOT believe it when they tell you their PH's are very good at judging crocs and if its over the size and fees what you booked your still charged your size rate. Reason is they know exactly the size, not because they are great croc size estimators but because they measured the dam thing before dumping in the hunting water. Dam, pond, or blocked river.

I am not against hunting within any fence, I am against BS by outfitters. For me tell me the dam truth, let me the client decide. Maybe most guys don't care, know or mind the BS lies. Not me.

I will add that before booking in SA I called my PH from Zim as we did see crocs when after ele. He was straight up, told me for my price and in his areas he could NOT get me my sized croc. Thanks Wayne.

So I have learned, there are no wild crocs with TF's that I will pay in SA.

Maybe some SA outfitters could/will jump in? Clear the air for us.

MB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.47.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.47.12 AM Large.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.47.15 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.47.15 AM Large.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 107
Is there such a thing as a high fence croc hunt? I was on youtube watching a crocodile hunt with a well know hunting personality. The hunt was taking place along the Limpopo in South Africa. It was pretty entertaining. The host of the show was looking for a 14 footer plus. I noticed they were hunting along various river banks ect ect with no luck. You can tell it was free range. They saw some crocs but they in the 10-11 foot range.

Near the end of the show the PH said someone radioed of a possible 14 footer in a small pool. Well, after the tv break they went to this small pool. It was probably 30 yards wide then it opened up into a circle about 50 yards in circumference. I couldn't see where water was being fed into this pool and it looked man made. Where they were hunting before looked like a natural river bank. Sure enough the croc was huge but he didn't act like he was afraid of these guys. He submerged a few times then he'd pop up. They stalked to like within 25 yards of him. They stood on the bank the host was using a .375 h&h. I mean they were talking & taking there time and this crocodile was just sitting in the water looking at them. He got up on the sticks the croc never moved just wading there broad side. He made a brain shot and just turned him over. The PH snag him with a fishing rod and sure enough he was 14 feet 2 inches.

I'm just wondering is it such thing? Im not here to debate politics. Just wondering do people get these enormous crocs and put them in small pools for a hunt that's all.

BTW can someone explain to me why Ethiopians outlawed hunting crocs? I was told possibly the biggest crocs on earth but certainly the biggest crocs in Africa live there. Thanks.
Unfortunately it is quite common. Just depends on the country, outfitter & PH.
Sad.

How old would a fat 12'4" croc be? The one thing I could not understand was how can they sell a croc my size for $3200 TF?

I have an acquaintance who "ordered" and shot a 15' and 14' plus on same hunt. Cannot even think how old those would have been.

MB

How old would a fat 12'4" croc be? The one thing I could not understand was how can they sell a croc my size for $3200 TF?

I have an acquaintance who "ordered" and shot a 15' and 14' plus on same hunt. Cannot even think how old those would have been.

MB
I'm not sure in Africa but in Australia where hunting crocs by the general public or tourist hunters is not allowed. They had a big cull of big Salt Water Crocs, by government shooters, I think over 30 years ago. They have some absolutely huge crocs that escaped that cull. So they are old. Bigger than Nile crocs in Africa.

I suspect a croc who doesn't have to work for a living but rather has his rent paid for him and his meals delivered right to him without any effort on his part, can grow pretty big and fat in short order.
You know, just like humans.....

I see the pics of those massive dinosaurs. Don't really understand why they do not have a limited hunt, I am sure the population is large enough to allow a small regulated take? One would think hunter interest would be high.

MB

Yea that goes on in RSA.

If you really want to be disgusted, watch the croc "hunt" in the movie Trophy. Appalling.... That crap is what really hurts South Africa's reputation. And hunters in general. The drunken "hunters" with obvious no regard for anything decent are bad enough. But add in the rotund "farmer" from RSA, and the Outfitter and PH.... Yea.... NO.

On the other hand the lion segment with the poor villagers keeping their last cow inside their hut with them to protect it from marauding lions at risk of the lion breaking in to get at the cow... VS the robust woman in England protesting hunting, especially wild lions..... I digress...

Not sure about elsewhere but I've hunted croc in Mozambique where they enjoyed snacking on the plentiful and seemingly carefree villagers. We found nothing big, in spite of the village locals claims. And the ones we did see were very spooking and quick to dive under and disappear. Also tried in Zimbabwe and again they were very skittish.

I was hunting on a large well managed fenced property in Limpopo that did have a large population of resident crocs in a "free range" type of situation. There was a river flow age that was dammed but overflowing. It created a large swelled out pool or even reservoir and some marshy areas. It had lots if crocs up to and perhaps just over 12'. They would scatter when we drove across the dam but you could see some under water right there. Some were also downstream. I know they were available to shoot and it was a better situation than the ponds referenced. When I asked what they lived on, the comment was fish they catch plus anything else they can catch. But you know the truth can tend to be handled carelessly... I'm sure they at least supplement fed them when no clients around. And I'm sure it woukd be a challenging hunt threading a bullet through between all the small ones. Definitely a much better situation than that 14 footer stocked into that pond.
Are we surprised that the coffin nails of the Africa hunt are being hammered in louder?
Not really, right?
Belgium and Finland now prohibit the import of African animals with Cites papers.
Arguments do not matter, one is simply disgusted by the Africa hunters.
The decent ones must pay for it. Outfitters like hunters.

I see the pics of those massive dinosaurs. Don't really understand why they do not have a limited hunt, I am sure the population is large enough to allow a small regulated take? One would think hunter interest would be high.

MB
Absolutely. But really a liberal government that seems anti hunting at heart. I mean they tried eliminating the water buffalo a few years ago... I think all the accomplished was to drive up the price of hunts and therefore cut back the number of paying hunters.

And the photo tourist trade loves those crocs and has them coming to the boats putting on a show.

But yes there would be opportunities to hunt them. Especially along the coast where they are in the actual ocean. You absolutely cannot swim in the ocean up around Darwin unless the beach is protected by a cable net. They don’t worry about sharks because the sharks are afraid of the crocs and so stay away;)

The tourist trade seemed like they concentrated on big rivers to view the crocs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!