Planning for Mozambique

I was in coutada 10 in 2014 and it was fabulous, I can only imagine how good it could be almost 10 years later. My 3 greatest hunting regrets are from not shooting a monster waterbuck, red duiker and Sunni. We saw each everyday. I’ve rectified the water buck in the EC of RSA but still want the TT from Marromeau.

I had a great hunt with Kwalata Safaris, Jaco Strauss in Niassa last year, and would highly recommend him. Feel free to PM for more discussion. Here’s a link to my hunting report.

Hey

This topic may already have been discussed, but:

The plans for a possible hunt in Mozambique next year are getting serious.

Of course the first (and most important) species is a buffalo, but beside that - any recommendations from your side which plains game should be considered?
Any species "you have to go for, when you are already in Mozambique"?
(Well, I am not talking about Impalas or Warthogs of course...)

Your help is appreciated :)
My experience in Mozambique was top notch with Kwalata Safaris. The buffalo hunting was also our priority and my son and I both took a rugged old dugga boy. Get ready to do some walking and marvel at the skills of Jaco (PH) and Joe (tracker) as they take you after the old beast. After about 2.5 to 3 hours you start to think there are no buffalo to be found and suddenly everyone is crouching and whispering as the buffalo are in site. You’ll spend the next few minutes that feel like hours getting to a comfortable spot and surveying the group for the best old warrior. Make your shot count after all that work and you’ll be rewarded with one of the most exhilarating and incredible feelings of accomplishment that follow the taking of such a magnificent animal. It’s an honest hunt and you’ll feel good about the work you put in. Plus you get to share it with some great people in a comfortable camp. The other recommendations I’ve seen in this thread for animals to take are spot on. My favorite animal unique to the area is the Niassa Widerbeest.

Mozambique is a special place. I am headed back for my 2nd Trip in September with Kwalata Safaris. Jaco and his team are incredible and this will be my 6th African hunt with them. Niassa is true wild Africa. The number of plains game is unreal. Below are some pics from our first trip in 2021. My Dad and I took 3 buffalo total, a leopard and 22 plains games animals on a 12 day hunt. Everyday was like Christmas and I can't say enough about the Jaco and their concession on L9 in Niassa. They are first class and a lot of fun!

View attachment 526074View attachment 526075View attachment 526076View attachment 526077View attachment 526078View attachment 526079View attachment 526080View attachment 526081View attachment 526082
Looking forward to having you back in camp!!!!!

My experience in Mozambique was top notch with Kwalata Safaris. The buffalo hunting was also our priority and my son and I both took a rugged old dugga boy. Get ready to do some walking and marvel at the skills of Jaco (PH) and Joe (tracker) as they take you after the old beast. After about 2.5 to 3 hours you start to think there are no buffalo to be found and suddenly everyone is crouching and whispering as the buffalo are in site. You’ll spend the next few minutes that feel like hours getting to a comfortable spot and surveying the group for the best old warrior. Make your shot count after all that work and you’ll be rewarded with one of the most exhilarating and incredible feelings of accomplishment that follow the taking of such a magnificent animal. It’s an honest hunt and you’ll feel good about the work you put in. Plus you get to share it with some great people in a comfortable camp. The other recommendations I’ve seen in this thread for animals to take are spot on. My favorite animal unique to the area is the Niassa Widerbeest.
Hi Richard
Thx for the kind words!! Hoping to see you during 2024 apologies for the hectic schedule this season!
Looking forward to yet another great safari!
Best as always, Jaco!

I had a great hunt with Kwalata Safaris, Jaco Strauss in Niassa last year, and would highly recommend him. Feel free to PM for more discussion. Here’s a link to my hunting report.

Hi Mark!!
Thanks for the referral! Looking forward to chasing some more buff in the Niassa this year!!
I hate to be the one that goes; “Told you so” but this special place in deepest Africa will wreck your North American hunting experiences :ROFLMAO: ;)
My very best to you my friend! See you in September!
Jaco

You should speak to Marromeu Safari’s Coutada 10 too. I have hunted with Anton in 21 and 22. Both great hunts. The buff in my avatar is from 22. Incredible number of plains game as well. I’ve heard great things about the ZD guys too. Marromeu is a smaller outfit but Coutada 10 is a huge area (around 500,000 acres).
I just watched a youtube video of this area. It was incredible. Mix of swamp and bush

If you want to maximize your opportunity on spiral horned game while also having quality buffalo, you may wish to consider Mokore’s Coutada 9 concession. They have Kudu, Nyala, Eland, Bushbuck all available as well as Roosevelt Sable, reedbuck, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, excellent warthogs and some other game. I’ll be hunting there late Oct/early Nov of ‘24.

If you want to maximize your opportunity on spiral horned game while also having quality buffalo, you may wish to consider Mokore’s Coutada 9 concession. They have Kudu, Nyala, Eland, Bushbuck all available as well as Roosevelt Sable, reedbuck, Lichtenstein Hartebeest, excellent warthogs and some other game. I’ll be hunting there late Oct/early Nov of ‘24.
Beautiful area- huge game numbers. Filmed a great hunt there. They took a great buff,sable and really old reedbuck and waterbuck among others. Great warthog in the area aswell. And Neil Duckworth will look after you like a king.

Spent the last 15 days of Sept in 2018 hunting there with Gary, incredible area with huge amount's of plains game and a vast variety also. It will be very warm by late Oct but game will be closer to water.

771DFBCA-CA1B-4E8B-9207-E5F7D924B551.jpeg

Mokore eland here.

The Niassa proper is a great choice for hunting, Leopard, Buffalo and Sable. There are some really nice Eland and the Nyassa Wildebeest is a must to have on the list. Plenty of other game as well. Late season Big Buffalo is the real draw.

Getting there require a charter and typically going through Johannesburg but well worth it. A little different hunting than in southern Mozambique.

I have hunted with Dave there and he knows that area very well as he spent more than 8 years full time opening roads and guiding in L7. Think he has been hunting in the NIassa for almost 20 years, half his life. Not only a very good PH but a wonderful person.
Its a truly magically destination with great hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
They say it is the best place to get some of the Tiny Ten.

They say it is the best place to get some of the Tiny Ten.
It could be, on my first safari in coutada 10 in 2014 in 10 days I had multiple opportunities to shoot red, blue and bush duikers, sunk and oribi. It was my first safari and I had eyes only for buffalo, sable and nyala. My biggest hunting regret is not shooting any TT. I haven’t been able to afford to go back to Mozambique being side tracked by a few hunts in RSA. My next safari will either be in Mozambique or Zambia, lots of saving to do but will not pass on any TT again!

Like @Hunt anything, in my 2 trips to Mozambique I regret that I didn't shoot a Bohor Reedbuck or any of the Tiny Ten. I only brought home a Roosevelt Sable and a Leopard...

Gn9WTOql.jpg
U8YlcJLl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunted Lipilichi in '14. Amazingly wild and vast area on the West edge of Niassa.

I highly recommend that. Leopard numbers are very high so I'd prioritize that as you have such a high success chance, and buff of course. Livingstone Eland, Roosevelt Sable, lichtenstein hartebeest, Niassa Wildebeest, and Boehm's Zebra are localized, and so I'd prioritize those. I don't know about the smaller stuff.

Tracking specific buffalo and eland on huge areas is the best hunt I could possible imagine.

Hope you have an amazing time.

Hey

This topic may already have been discussed, but:

The plans for a possible hunt in Mozambique next year are getting serious.

Of course the first (and most important) species is a buffalo, but beside that - any recommendations from your side which plains game should be considered?
Any species "you have to go for, when you are already in Mozambique"?
(Well, I am not talking about Impalas or Warthogs of course...)

Your help is appreciated :)
I would for sure look hard at Nyala. The number 2 in the world and number 1 free range was killed in Moz 2 years ago. If you like the tiny ten, for sure get a Sharpes grysbok. There are really nice eland in Moz as well.

Mozambique is on my bucket list, but I would like to fly in so as to avoid any border aggro with firearms, and of course road blocks. Once on the concession I think it could be a very top experience.

It could be, on my first safari in coutada 10 in 2014 in 10 days I had multiple opportunities to shoot red, blue and bush duikers, sunk and oribi. It was my first safari and I had eyes only for buffalo, sable and nyala. My biggest hunting regret is not shooting any TT. I haven’t been able to afford to go back to Mozambique being side tracked by a few hunts in RSA. My next safari will either be in Mozambique or Zambia, lots of saving to do but will not pass on any TT again!
It always happens and then you have to go back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimb.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.