FlowHamed18

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey

This topic may already have been discussed, but:

The plans for a possible hunt in Mozambique next year are getting serious.

Of course the first (and most important) species is a buffalo, but beside that - any recommendations from your side which plains game should be considered?
Any species "you have to go for, when you are already in Mozambique"?
(Well, I am not talking about Impalas or Warthogs of course...)

Your help is appreciated :)

Nyasa Wildebeest. Gorgeous animals!
9C0398EA-7A24-4ABC-A395-5FBFE6D218D7.jpeg

Some areas have some outstanding Nyala and Kudu. Always worth asking about.
Bruce

FlowHamed, if you could be more specific in which area you are looking to book that might be of great help.

Mozambique is a very vast country bordering Tanzania up north and Swaziland and South Africa south.
Lot of diffefent ecosystems which obvioulsy gives you lot of Biomes and in turn diversity in species.

Hey

Of course the first (and most important) species is a buffalo, but beside that - any recommendations from your side which plains game should be considered?

If a tracking hunt after dagga boys is what you want then I would suggest to look no further than the Niassa Special Reserve. The buffalo hunting is excellent and the variety of plains game is wonderful. Some of the biggest and most impressive eland I have ever hunted are in Niassa. We have Roosevelt sable, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest and Niassa Wildebeest. This wildebeest, in my opinion, is the prettiest of the bunch. We also have the usual PG such as Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra, Reedbuck, Warthog and Bush pigs, Bushbuck, impala, duikers etc. If you are after hippo and croc, they are up there too. Scenery is also amazing - the inselbergs are really spectacular and the areas are vast.

Probably Zambeze Delta - Coutada XI looks pretty nice... a friend of mine was there a few years ago
Suni, Red Duiker, Lichtenstein hartebeest, Nyala, Warthog, waterbuck.

That is species of coutada 11 that I would take as they can be exceptional.
Suni must top the list of the plainsgame.

Good day @FlowHamed18 ,

Mozambique has several excellent species to offer to hunters like Nyasa Wildebeest, Lichenstein Hartebeest, Roosevelt Sable, Crayshaw Zebra, Cape Buff and Sharpe Grysbuck just to name a few... Do you have a certain area in mind that you would like to hunt?

Tracking buffalo is about the most exciting hunt you can do in your life sir.

Let us know if you have any questions!

All my best,

Jacques

Hey

Ok so in my opinion species you simply can not pass up are:
1.)Niassa Wildebeest.
2.)Lichtenstein Hartebeest.
3.)Suni
4.)Red Duiker
5.)Sharpes Grysbuck
6.)Chobe Bushbuck
7.)Livingston Eland
8.)Crawshay’s (Bohms zebra)

Not to be pushy but we have all of these as well as what is regarded as the Rolls Royce of buffalo hunting in Africa by those who have hunted many areas for buff.

No particular order. Note that all these species are plenty full on some areas (game rich concessions) but not all.
My very best always!

Last edited:
Do not pass up the chance to take those little guys! And find a PH who is excited about them or inspire your PH to put effort into getting them;)

Do not pass up the chance to take those little guys! And find a PH who is excited about them or inspire your PH to put effort into getting them;)
Ditto!

If a tracking hunt after dagga boys is what you want then I would suggest to look no further than the Niassa Special Reserve. The buffalo hunting is excellent and the variety of plains game is wonderful. Some of the biggest and most impressive eland I have ever hunted are in Niassa. We have Roosevelt sable, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest and Niassa Wildebeest. This wildebeest, in my opinion, is the prettiest of the bunch. We also have the usual PG such as Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra, Reedbuck, Warthog and Bush pigs, Bushbuck, impala, duikers etc. If you are after hippo and croc, they are up there too. Scenery is also amazing - the inselbergs are really spectacular and the areas are vast.
Id agree with Dave - hunted there a few times. He will note doubt recall my double 500.

S

Nailed it!

The Niassa proper is a great choice for hunting, Leopard, Buffalo and Sable. There are some really nice Eland and the Nyassa Wildebeest is a must to have on the list. Plenty of other game as well. Late season Big Buffalo is the real draw.

Getting there require a charter and typically going through Johannesburg but well worth it. A little different hunting than in southern Mozambique.

I have hunted with Dave there and he knows that area very well as he spent more than 8 years full time opening roads and guiding in L7. Think he has been hunting in the NIassa for almost 20 years, half his life. Not only a very good PH but a wonderful person.

Hey

Mozambique is a special place. I am headed back for my 2nd Trip in September with Kwalata Safaris. Jaco and his team are incredible and this will be my 6th African hunt with them. Niassa is true wild Africa. The number of plains game is unreal. Below are some pics from our first trip in 2021. My Dad and I took 3 buffalo total, a leopard and 22 plains games animals on a 12 day hunt. Everyday was like Christmas and I can't say enough about the Jaco and their concession on L9 in Niassa. They are first class and a lot of fun!

Buffalo 1.jpg
Buffalo 2.jpg
Bushbuck.jpg
Bushpig.jpg
Hyena.jpg
Leopard.jpg
Niassa Wildebeest.jpg
Reedbuck.jpg
Waterbuck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably Zambeze Delta - Coutada XI looks pretty nice... a friend of mine was there a few years ago
You should speak to Marromeu Safari’s Coutada 10 too. I have hunted with Anton in 21 and 22. Both great hunts. The buff in my avatar is from 22. Incredible number of plains game as well. I’ve heard great things about the ZD guys too. Marromeu is a smaller outfit but Coutada 10 is a huge area (around 500,000 acres).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross