Pet Peeves in the hunting field

Those that shouldn't hunt

While guiding pheasant hunts, occasionally you have the wounded bird that the dog bring to you. I usally just step on their head to quickly put them out of their misery! Wringing there neck usally results in a headless bird and lots of blood. One day were hunting and I look over and see our female photographer and a hunter together, then I see her jumping up and down. I walkover to see whats going on and I see she is in soft dirt and continues to jump on the poor but not yet dead bird, with the hunter watching. I tell her to stop, grab the bird put its head on some solid ground and step on its head, crunch, bird is dead. I pick up the bird to hand to the hunter and he looks at me and says, "I couldn't do that", and walks away. Some people just shouldn't hunt!

Rain....... especially heavy rain.

I discovered what the equivalent of a Canadian winter blizzard is in KwaZulu Natal, a light winter rain (to me).
All the animals hide, they are all cold and the tracker looks at you like you are nuts wanting to be out in it.

What rain? I was immune, I was in Africa taking pictures of Rhino.

I know who was peeved that day.

While guiding pheasant hunts, occasionally you have the wounded bird that the dog bring to you. I usally just step on their head to quickly put them out of their misery! Wringing there neck usally results in a headless bird and lots of blood. One day were hunting and I look over and see our female photographer and a hunter together, then I see her jumping up and down. I walkover to see whats going on and I see she is in soft dirt and continues to jump on the poor but not yet dead bird, with the hunter watching. I tell her to stop, grab the bird put its head on some solid ground and step on its head, crunch, bird is dead. I pick up the bird to hand to the hunter and he looks at me and says, "I couldn't do that", and walks away. Some people just shouldn't hunt!

Why don't you use a priest? - Which can be as basic as a biggish bolt & you just tap them on the back of the head with it & bring about instant death.

I discovered what the equivalent of a Canadian winter blizzard is in KwaZulu Natal, a light winter rain (to me).
All the animals hide, they are all cold and the tracker looks at you like you are nuts wanting to be out in it.

What rain? I was immune, I was in Africa taking pictures of Rhino.

I know who was peeved that day.

Mate, I don't know how anyone could live through a Canadian winter...... I KNOW I'd die within the first month of that shit!

Mate, I don't know how anyone could live through a Canadian winter...... I KNOW I'd die within the first month of that shit!

Lots of down and wool.
Amazing what you get used to.

I think of humid 45 degree heat and wonder how anyone can stay alive in that.

I must admit the Selous & the Karamoja get a bit much sometimes but I'd still rather be in the heat than the freezing cold!

I must admit the Selous & the Karamoja get a bit much sometimes but I'd still rather be in the heat than the freezing cold!

LOL Its all what we are used to I guess. My thoughts are I can always throw on another layer of clothes but there is no escape from heat and humidity (short of staying inside an air conditioned building).

I'm just tickety boo if I can wander around in just a pair of shorts & if going to town I'll add a T shirt and my old Masai car tyre sandals.

We had our first winter in Portugal last year & I resented even having to wear long trousers & a sweater. LOL!

Nothing like taking off across a frozen lake on a snowmoblie at 120km a hour with it -30 for a five hour ride with 1 to 2 meters of snow . then stop and drill a hole throught the ice and fish..

Nothing like taking off across a frozen lake on a snowmoblie at 120km a hour with it -30 for a five hour ride with 1 to 2 meters of snow . then stop and drill a hole throught the ice and fish..
Yep, like the little Irish guy who wanted to go ice fishing. He was just setting up his drill when there was a booming voice from above:" THERE ARE NO FISH BENEATH THE ICE!" "Is that you, God?" "NO. THIS IS THE MANAGER OF THE ICE RINK!"
Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic, but I could not resist!

Yep, like the little Irish guy who wanted to go ice fishing. He was just setting up his drill when there was a booming voice from above:" THERE ARE NO FISH BENEATH THE ICE!" "Is that you, God?" "NO. THIS IS THE MANAGER OF THE ICE RINK!"
Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic, but I could not resist!
Quit picking on the Irish. That will help get us back on topic. :)

a pet peeve of mine is take friend to some place that you know to hunt . then they later on they tell you they went there later and took someone else . next thing everyone you know is hunting there.

I stoped in front of my friend's house to pick him up to go deer hunting. My friend came to mi car, opened the trunk and saw it was almost full, he took my doube gun bag (with my 2 rifles one for my and the other that he allways borrows), he then put the guns inside his house, came back with two 24,s of beer put those in the trunk , closed it, got in the car with me and said , lets go!
I said YOU LEFT THE RIFLES INSIDE YOUR HOUSE, he said I am sorry my friend there is not enough space for them, let,s go!.

LOL Big time!! My favorite of all these! Thanks David

What I hate is like when I took my older brother on his first safari to Namibia. Mind you he had never shot at game before, been hunting but never connected. What I hated was that he shot WAAAYY better than I did and I was supposed to be the big safari expert! I shot lousy at least for a couple of days which is sort of typical for me getting over jet lag etc., but still it was freakin' embarrassing! That jerk brother of mine outshooting me!

a pet peeve of mine is take friend to some place that you know to hunt . then they later on they tell you they went there later and took someone else . next thing everyone you know is hunting there.

I dont know how I missed that one, it is by far my #1 peeve. Just reading that I cringed with sour memories.

Been there and done that so many times that it almost gives me nightmares.....

One of the main reasons why I have stopped helping people becoming hunters.
Another reason is that I am so tired of them becoming total full of themselves experts and know it alls after they have shot 1-3 animals.

5 hours !!! -30 !!!:thinking: nah stuff that :eyecrazy: give me the nice dry 45c deg heat :happy: fishing sitting on ice ....... or floating on the zambezi at a nice 35 to 45 c, with cooler boxes of full of mosi catching tigers....... bet you can guess which one i am doing!!!!!!

5 hours !!! -30 !!!:thinking: nah stuff that :eyecrazy: give me the nice dry 45c deg heat :happy: fishing sitting on ice ....... or floating on the zambezi at a nice 35 to 45 c, with cooler boxes of full of mosi catching tigers....... bet you can guess which one i am doing!!!!!!

Ug, I would melt at 45c. Give me 20-25c anyday. Warm enough to be plenty comfortable and still be able to be physically active without leaving a sweat trail like a slug!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross