- Hairbrush/comb
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Dental floss/toothpick
- Q-tips
- Soap
- Shampoo
- Razor and blades
- Shaving cream (Non-aerosol for carry on)
- Deodorant (Non-aerosol for carry on)
- Cologne (not a good idea to wear while visiting a malaria area)
- Moisturizing lotion (unscented if visiting a malaria area)
- Nail scissors or clippers
- Tweezers
- Kleenex
- Lip balm with high SPF
- Sun block with high SPF, I recommend waterproof it lasts even if sweating and unscented if traveling to a malaria area. No matter how much you hate the sticky stuff, the sun is very intense in Africa even in the winter. Perhaps because people don't feel as concerned about sunburn when the air is cooler they just don't take the sun as seriously, but I have seen the worst sunburns during the winter in Africa.
- Ziplock bags, generally very useful and versatile, a great way to contain items that may leak in your luggage.

First Aid
- Personal medical first aid kit. Your outfitter should have a first aid kit, however many basic medications may not be included. A personal medical first aid kit in my opinion is essential. I recommend if you will be traveling to a remote area, especially in a third world country, to consider purchasing a customized a first aid kit from Wilderness Medical Systems. Created specifically for you and your travel destination, including prescription medications and so much more, for more information click here.
- Treatments for jet lag
- Insect/mosquito/tick repellent (preferably odorless)
- Itch cream with cortisone
- Anti-diarrhea pills
- Aspirin or ibuprofen
- Antibiotic cream
- Band aid for cuts
- Moleskin or Band Aid blister block for the prevention of blisters and/or Band Aid cushions for advanced healing blisters
- Dehydration treatment
- Laxative
- Antacid
- Hand sanitizer gel
- Eye drops
- Motion sickness remedies
- Decongestant pills (for congestion due to colds or allergies)
- Allergy pills, many people who do not suffer from allergies at home may suddenly find themselves terribly allergic to something they encounter in Africa. I encourage everyone to bring along an allergy pill that does not cause drowsiness even if you are not prone to alleries and especially if you are. They can also be helpful for people who have strong reactions to insect bites, especially from mosquitoes or tsetse flies.

Prescription Medication
If you bring prescription medication they should be packed in your carry on luggage and you should have enough to last you through your trip. They should be prescribed in your name and be in their original prescription bottles to avoid problems at customs. If you are carrying liquid medication, be sure to place them in a quart size zip lock bag for airport security.
- Your regular prescription medications
- Copies of prescriptions for medications that you are carrying
- Anti-malaria pills
- Broad spectrum antibiotics
- Sleeping pills
- Pain killers
- Bee allergy shot

Emergency Evacuation and Field Rescue Membership

Hydration & Energy
- Power bars, this is great for a boost of energy
- Gatorade or other electrolyte drinks in single dose powdered packets, that can be easily poured into a small bottle of water; these are great for re-hydration and energy
- Canteen, keeping hydrated is essential, the hunting team should carry water for the client at all times; you never know when stepping out the vehicle where the course of events is going to take you. Your outfitter should have this organized however some hunters like to bring their own water as well.
- Water purifier, in most cases not needed but ask your outfitter
- Water purification with filters, in most cases not needed but ask your outfitter
- Water purification tablets, in most cases not needed but ask your outfitter
- SteriPEN, UV light water purifier, effective, light weight & compact for travelers, in most cases not needed but ask your outfitter

Personal Items
- Prescription glasses and/or clear shooting glasses with strap and case. Will protect your eyes, day or night, against sand, thorns and insects.
- Sunglasses, strap and case
- Contact lenses & solution (glasses are more practical and provide added protection)
- Earplugs (for hunting, travel or sleeping)
- Small sewing kit
- Cell phone and/or satellite phone (a lot of cell phones will work in Africa; check with your telephone service provider to see if your phone has the capability to be activated. Sat phones can be rented at www.globalphoneworks.com)
- Watch with alarm or alarm travel clock
- Field guide
- Shot placement book
- Small notebook and pen to keep journal or take notes
- List of addresses or pre-printed mailing labels for sending postcards back home
- Something to read
- Reminder list of things that you wanted to do or buy

Gifts
Many hunters like to bring small gifts for PH, trackers, lodge manager or lady of the house or camp staff, which is always a nice gesture and are usually very well received.
- Clothing
- Baseball caps
- Knives
- Flashlights
- Candy (something that does not melt)
- Cigarettes
- Perfume

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on another travel blog. Neither our travel company nor outfitter mentioned anything about needing a letter / certification from our doctor for our medications. I spoke to our outfitter and they said everyone just travels with their pharmacy bottles as far as they know.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Are the pharmacy bottles with the prescription label sufficient?

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/miet/importmedicines.asp

Bringing medicines into New Zealand on your person or in your luggage
If you are arriving into New Zealand and carrying prescription medicines either on your person or in your luggage you must ensure:

• You declare the possession of those medicines on your incoming passenger arrival card which is lawfully required, and inspected, by the New Zealand Customs Service; and
  • You have a copy of the prescription from your doctor or a letter from your doctor stating that you are being treated with the medicine(s), and
  • You carry the medicine(s) in their original containers, and
  • You have sufficient quantity not exceeding three months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in six month quantities)
All other medicines including herbal medicines, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines may be imported without the above documentation. Over the counter medicines can be imported only if they are for individual use or for a member of your immediate family. Please note that anything in your possession that might be considered as a prescription medicine or controlled drug must be declared on your incoming passenger arrival card. If in doubt, declare it.

I have email in to my travel agency to find out more.

Thanks,

John

if your travelling anywhere , and are taking prescription drugs , into another country , where you maybe there for several weeks .
you should always have a letter from your doctor / pharmacists......
pretty hard to explain x amount of pain killers
or other drugs
the letter from your doctor can help replace the medication you may well need to function , in case of loss or theft

another good thing is to notify your outfitter that , that you are on these drugs , and if the need be can they alert a local doctor of your condition before you arrive then , in case worse case sceniro
if you loose your medicine there is a faster chance of getting the drugs you need , could save a life
your own ........

I never really thought of that. When I went to Brazil last Oct I just had my RX's in my carry on luggage, I never thought about how I could replace them if need be. Thanks great idea, I'll be getting a letter from my doc before we leave for Africa in June.

your right mate
all part of the six Ps
if your on a prescription , that you need to survive , covering every base is an absolute must
especially if you or someone with you has an ongoing ailment , no insurance company is going to touch that policy
once you leave home your on your own .......

yeah mate l know a couple that had to make sure every possible sceniro was covered
ands catered for .......

Yes sir, unfortunately I'm tied to a couple of Rx's myself. Bad things would happen if I was to loose them. Of course I think I would be SOL if that happened anyway as I don't know what the availability of meds in Africa is. In Brazil I'd been really screwed as once in the jungle it was like several hundred if not more miles back to Manaus.

I have had no trouble at all travelling with prescription meds on my three trips into NZ. The authorities wont care if you have asthma or allergy meds like I did. Its narcotic pain killers they are looking for. Just keep everything in original pharmacy packaging etc, ESPECIALLY if in fact you are travelling with some type of controlled medications. I always have my Dr write me additional paper prescriptions that I could present at an emergency ward etc to get replacements if mine were to be lost and I carry double the needed amount, spread across my different bags so that if my luggage doesnt make it, I will still be OK.

Actually this system has worked for me across Asia including China, India etc and Africa with no issues.

Thanks for the replies. My travel agent said that as long as they are in the original pharmacy bottle indicating doctor's name and dosage I'll be fine.

I hadn't thought about theft or losing them. Mine are for blood pressure (small dosage), cholesterol, and sleeping. If I didn't have them for a few weeks I would be ok. Maybe for next trip I'll look to have the doctor issue an extra prescription just in case.

Always place your prescription drugs in your carry on baggage and not in your checked luggage, also have them in a clear plastic zip lock bag. And anytime someone checks the bag check it yourself to make sure that the prescriptions are still there. On my upcoming trip I plan on having at least 60 days of drugs with me when I leave my home in my carry on baggage. I personally could survive for quite a while without them but I would be miserable without them.

Gifts
Many hunters like to bring small gifts for PH, trackers, lodge manager or lady of the house or camp staff, which is always a nice gesture and are usually very well received.
- Clothing
- Baseball caps
- Knives
- Flashlights
- Candy (something that does not melt)
- Cigarettes
- Perfume

Are all types of these items acceptable as gifts or are there certain brands of cigarettes or sports paraphernalia to be avoided for any reason?

Are all types of these items acceptable as gifts or are there certain brands of cigarettes or sports paraphernalia to be avoided for any reason?
All are acceptable as gifts or small token of appreciation and even used items will be welcome. I have found that the locals prefer using newspaper to roll their cigarette with than cigarette paper... Other than than they will smoke any common tobacco or cigarettes. Flashlights, batteries are very expensive in Africa so a self winding/hand cranked flashlight would be more appropriate I think.

l certainly wouldn't be to concerned about what brand of cancer sticks you bought the boys , every time ive given the tracker and skinners lung busters , the first thing they do is break the filter off them to smoke

Treatments for jet lag, what it this medication ? and where do you get it ? Forrest

Treatments for jet lag, what it this medication ? and where do you get it ? Forrest

enough alcohol to just keep your composure before take off , top up once in the air , headphones and a pillow......zzzzzzzz
then freshen up just before you land ,
on the way home same deal ....
im going to put it into practice next trip ,,,:Yawn::Yawn:

I always take 1-2 milligrams of melatonin first night on international trips. It will reset your natural clock. That's all you need!
Regards,
Philip

learned the hard way that nasal spray for dry nose is needed. i did not see it on any of the list i used. kept a bloody nose the entire 2 weeks.

Never forget the Chapstick
Never

I did and had to pay the price. Took three weeks for my bottom lip to heal up. Also the sun screen even when it's winter over there .....do not leave home without

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois