AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Lifetime NRA, Lifetime SCI, NWTF, ARRL
Hunted
Lower 48, Alaska, Canada, and Mexico
To summarize the below:

What: Parkwest Arms SD-76 Dark Continent rifle with NightForce ATACR glass.

Why: I’m heading to Mozambique! First African safari. Most likely not the last.

When: Got my paws on this masterpiece this last weekend, heading on safari this September.

How: Lots of research, reading this sight (!!!!), and engaging with people I trust and respect.

Who: Parkwest Arms located in Sturgis, South Dakota, USA. Tim L,, Wade D., and Justin R. are my primary touch points.

First impressions: simply amazing craftwork, fit and finish, and function upon visual and hands on inspection.

To set the stage, I am heading out on my first African safari this coming September, with a mix of DG and PG on the list. I’m counting days! A very big tip of the hat to members Gary and Dave for getting me scooting in this direction. I’ve been thinking about thinking about going for years to decades now, and from a happenstance meeting with Gary on a Gould’s turkey hunt, I’m now a lifetime member of SCI, and avid reader of AfricaHunting.com.

I tend to use outings like this as my primary rationale to upgrade my hunting gear – optics to clothing to rifles and all in between. For this safari, I wanted to go in with a nod to yesteryear, and a full ration of modern tech. I started my research in earnest well over a year ago as to what platform I was going to go with. As well as caliber selection. I won’t bore with all those details, other than to say I didn’t leave much off of the table of consideration.

I narrowed in on several solid solutions, and am beyond ecstatic to say I am now the proud owner of a Parkwest Arms SD-76 Dark Continent rifle in 375 Holland & Holland.

https://parkwestarms.com/product/dark-continent/

First a point regarding my choice of optics. Through education, and more importantly experience, NightForce was the only optic I considered. I’ve owned everything from Tasco to Leupold to Swarovski to Schmidt and Bender. Not taking anything away from those options or start a ferocious debate. I’ve seen and experienced enough that I am set with my choice of an NF ATACR in 1 x 8 – 24mm F1 with an FC-DMx reticle.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-1-8x24-f1/

In terms of the reticle, it is the only option available in this particular optic. I’m more than good with it, especially after getting my hands and eyes on it. At low power, 1x you get both eyes open operation with a red circle to focus on. At 8x, you effectively get a T-post with red dot aiming point. On the lower end of the magnification, you get a segmented circle with a 4 mil diameter. That’s 7.2” at 100 yards, which is less than the effective kill zone of an African Cape Buffalo at 100 yards presenting broadside. Very helpful aiming benchmark so to speak. Also beats the standard 8” paper plate at 100 yards requirement. 

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/reticles/fc-dmx/

I won’t be “milling” anything with this rifle. Disregard the sub-tensions for this platform all together. It’s all about reliability and image quality here.

Now for the SD-76! Some more perspective is in order. The last wood stocked firearm I purchased was my Winchester Model 70 Sporter in 7 RM back in 1994. It’s all been some manner and combination of plastic and fiberglass and carbon fiber since then. For this rifle I am entering it in to the “family heirloom” category. Legacy (?!) to follow. I wanted first and foremost reliability and function. That really is that. I figured a classic safari rifle should be wood stocked by experts. As I sit and type this very sentence, WOW did I get it right. Parkwest started me off with roughly 10 blanks to choose from. My criteria was dark in color and lots of fiddleback. As it turns out the first blank I chose stood the eyeball test over the entire selection process, and it’s absolutely gorgeous as finished.

The rating systems for wood are rather all over with respect to nomenclature. Suffice to say this is an absolute top of the line exhibition grade piece of lumber – special select black walnut. The checkering is simply stated as masterful to my eyes and touch. Beyond my expectations. The craftwork and attention to detail is just flat incredible. And all done by hand. I was given several examples of the patterning and placement, and the end result is as stated. Incredible.

At the heart of the rifle we have the Parkwest Arms SD-76 action with 3 position safety, which I really appreciate and embrace, and perhaps most importantly it sports controlled round feeding. The fit and finish is impeccable, graphite on glass smooth operation of the bolt, clean lockup and relief upon working the bolt to full stop and back again.

The bottom metal is a hinged inside the trigger guard release drop with sprung floorplate. Fit, finish, function perfect. The barrel is a premium stainless steel with button rifling in a 1:12, as a nod to the past as well as mating up with like on like materials at the threads with the receiver.

I went with Talley quick disconnect rings so as to be able to go to irons if / as needed, and subsequently return to glass with no shift in POA / POI. Field testing to be conducted over the next month with purposeful practice to follow.

All the metal was case hardened, and it looks fantastic! I also adorned the stock grip cap with initials, and went with a custom serial number.

The rifle was field tested for function and initial accuracy with a total of 17 rounds down range. The targets I received all showed ~ ¾ minute accuracy at 100 yards, and a little over that right at 1 MOA with irons at 50 yards. The bar has been set, and it’s now up to me to get soft points and solids to near same POI at 100 yards and be minute of buffalo inside that. 

Next steps are to start with several loads I have information for from members here as well as Parkwest. Huge leg up on load development. I will be using several different bullets with a heavy eye on CEB 300 grain Safari Solids and the quintessential Swift A-Frames in 300 grains as well.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/375-300gr-300gr-safari-solid?_pos=1&_fid=7c1a5b680&_ss=c

https://www.swiftbullets.com/collec...-bullets/products/a-frame-heavy-rifle-cal-375

Powders to be checked and run include Varget and IMR 4350. I’ll be using Winchester large magnum rifle primers as that’s what I have on hand, and new Norma brass. Results to follow.

In closing, I would definitely attest that the Parkwest of today keeps the quality, fit, and functionality of Dakota. Accuracy at present more than satisfactory per the range testing, and as noted above I’ll be dialing that in. None of that other big green company’s misgivings or misfortunes rubbed off. I will definitely buy another one in due time.

In Hunting –

Matt

M. Fuller SD-76 Dark Continent 0 - 240229.jpg

IMG_6392.jpeg
IMG_6393.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg
IMG_6391.jpeg

Attachments

• 375 Solid Brass Bullet 375 H&H.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • A-Frame Heavy Rifle Bullets Cal. 375 | 300 gr – Swift Bullet Company.pdf
    595.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ATACR - 1-8x24mm F1 - Nightforce Optics.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • FC-DMx - Nightforce Optics.pdf
    834 KB · Views: 10
  • SD-76 Dark Continent™ Bolt Action Rifle – Parkwest Arms.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Congratulations on a fine rifle…now go pop it’s cherry

HH

Fine looking rifle. Nice curl in the wood.

Good looker and I’m sure a heck of a performer!

Also cfe223, rl15 or varget with hammer 270-299 bullets are terminally excellent on all game you’re going to encounter.

To summarize the below:

What: Parkwest Arms SD-76 Dark Continent rifle with NightForce ATACR glass.

Why: I’m heading to Mozambique! First African safari. Most likely not the last.

When: Got my paws on this masterpiece this last weekend, heading on safari this September.

How: Lots of research, reading this sight (!!!!), and engaging with people I trust and respect.

Who: Parkwest Arms located in Sturgis, South Dakota, USA. Tim L,, Wade D., and Justin R. are my primary touch points.

First impressions: simply amazing craftwork, fit and finish, and function upon visual and hands on inspection.

To set the stage, I am heading out on my first African safari this coming September, with a mix of DG and PG on the list. I’m counting days! A very big tip of the hat to members Gary and Dave for getting me scooting in this direction. I’ve been thinking about thinking about going for years to decades now, and from a happenstance meeting with Gary on a Gould’s turkey hunt, I’m now a lifetime member of SCI, and avid reader of AfricaHunting.com.

I tend to use outings like this as my primary rationale to upgrade my hunting gear – optics to clothing to rifles and all in between. For this safari, I wanted to go in with a nod to yesteryear, and a full ration of modern tech. I started my research in earnest well over a year ago as to what platform I was going to go with. As well as caliber selection. I won’t bore with all those details, other than to say I didn’t leave much off of the table of consideration.

I narrowed in on several solid solutions, and am beyond ecstatic to say I am now the proud owner of a Parkwest Arms SD-76 Dark Continent rifle in 375 Holland & Holland.

https://parkwestarms.com/product/dark-continent/

First a point regarding my choice of optics. Through education, and more importantly experience, NightForce was the only optic I considered. I’ve owned everything from Tasco to Leupold to Swarovski to Schmidt and Bender. Not taking anything away from those options or start a ferocious debate. I’ve seen and experienced enough that I am set with my choice of an NF ATACR in 1 x 8 – 24mm F1 with an FC-DMx reticle.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-1-8x24-f1/

In terms of the reticle, it is the only option available in this particular optic. I’m more than good with it, especially after getting my hands and eyes on it. At low power, 1x you get both eyes open operation with a red circle to focus on. At 8x, you effectively get a T-post with red dot aiming point. On the lower end of the magnification, you get a segmented circle with a 4 mil diameter. That’s 7.2” at 100 yards, which is less than the effective kill zone of an African Cape Buffalo at 100 yards presenting broadside. Very helpful aiming benchmark so to speak. Also beats the standard 8” paper plate at 100 yards requirement. 

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/reticles/fc-dmx/

I won’t be “milling” anything with this rifle. Disregard the sub-tensions for this platform all together. It’s all about reliability and image quality here.

Now for the SD-76! Some more perspective is in order. The last wood stocked firearm I purchased was my Winchester Model 70 Sporter in 7 RM back in 1994. It’s all been some manner and combination of plastic and fiberglass and carbon fiber since then. For this rifle I am entering it in to the “family heirloom” category. Legacy (?!) to follow. I wanted first and foremost reliability and function. That really is that. I figured a classic safari rifle should be wood stocked by experts. As I sit and type this very sentence, WOW did I get it right. Parkwest started me off with roughly 10 blanks to choose from. My criteria was dark in color and lots of fiddleback. As it turns out the first blank I chose stood the eyeball test over the entire selection process, and it’s absolutely gorgeous as finished.

The rating systems for wood are rather all over with respect to nomenclature. Suffice to say this is an absolute top of the line exhibition grade piece of lumber – special select black walnut. The checkering is simply stated as masterful to my eyes and touch. Beyond my expectations. The craftwork and attention to detail is just flat incredible. And all done by hand. I was given several examples of the patterning and placement, and the end result is as stated. Incredible.

At the heart of the rifle we have the Parkwest Arms SD-76 action with 3 position safety, which I really appreciate and embrace, and perhaps most importantly it sports controlled round feeding. The fit and finish is impeccable, graphite on glass smooth operation of the bolt, clean lockup and relief upon working the bolt to full stop and back again.

The bottom metal is a hinged inside the trigger guard release drop with sprung floorplate. Fit, finish, function perfect. The barrel is a premium stainless steel with button rifling in a 1:12, as a nod to the past as well as mating up with like on like materials at the threads with the receiver.

I went with Talley quick disconnect rings so as to be able to go to irons if / as needed, and subsequently return to glass with no shift in POA / POI. Field testing to be conducted over the next month with purposeful practice to follow.

All the metal was case hardened, and it looks fantastic! I also adorned the stock grip cap with initials, and went with a custom serial number.

The rifle was field tested for function and initial accuracy with a total of 17 rounds down range. The targets I received all showed ~ ¾ minute accuracy at 100 yards, and a little over that right at 1 MOA with irons at 50 yards. The bar has been set, and it’s now up to me to get soft points and solids to near same POI at 100 yards and be minute of buffalo inside that. 

Next steps are to start with several loads I have information for from members here as well as Parkwest. Huge leg up on load development. I will be using several different bullets with a heavy eye on CEB 300 grain Safari Solids and the quintessential Swift A-Frames in 300 grains as well.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/products/375-300gr-300gr-safari-solid?_pos=1&_fid=7c1a5b680&_ss=c

https://www.swiftbullets.com/collec...-bullets/products/a-frame-heavy-rifle-cal-375

Powders to be checked and run include Varget and IMR 4350. I’ll be using Winchester large magnum rifle primers as that’s what I have on hand, and new Norma brass. Results to follow.

In closing, I would definitely attest that the Parkwest of today keeps the quality, fit, and functionality of Dakota. Accuracy at present more than satisfactory per the range testing, and as noted above I’ll be dialing that in. None of that other big green company’s misgivings or misfortunes rubbed off. I will definitely buy another one in due time.

In Hunting –

Matt

View attachment 599163
View attachment 599167View attachment 599168View attachment 599169View attachment 599170View attachment 599165View attachment 599166
Great write up! Thank you!

Good looker and I’m sure a heck of a performer!

Also cfe223, rl15 or varget with hammer 270-299 bullets are terminally excellent on all game you’re going to encounter.

Thanks for the powder bullet references! And I have a pound or two of Varget on hand and am a fan of 30 caliber hammers. (y)

At this point, nothing is off the table.

Reactions: RLL
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this rifle again with her handy work

Beautiful rifle, also very nice presentation of the background as to why it came to be just like this!

Very nice. Some really nice checkering.

I was under the impression that stainless barrels could not take a proper blueing

Beauty & beast all in one gorgeous package !

You can’t go wrong with the bullet choices either. If you can’t source any 300Gr Swift A Frames, then don’t hesitate to go for the 300Gr Barnes TSX.

Beautiful rifle! I ordered a park west in 375 H & H myself this winters at DSC. Very excited to get out with it this fall for elk and mule deer and take it to Africa next year for a pgh. Cheers and enjoy!

Wonderful rifle, but help me out with the image size of that red dot. The 4 mil you describe sounds like actually nearly 15 MOA at 100 meters?!? If I remember correctly, 1 mil equals a little over 3.5 inches. I have found I personally can not effectively use anything on game above 2 MOA in a red dot. Clearing a building with a M4 is one thing, but that large a dot on an incoming bull would be like trying to aim with a dinner plate. I must be misunderstanding something.

What is the perceived size when the scope is set at four power?

Last edited:
Looks like a really nice rifle. Like the CCH on the action and rings. Look forward to reading your hunt report. Have fun and shoot straight.

@Red Leg I had the same red dot question so I looked at NF Reticle breakout and the small dot in the center is 0.2 mil and the halo circle is 2-4 mil depending on magnification. So it should be right in the 1 moa dot size but it didn't say 0.2mil at what magnification. Hopefully @gsdog1 can give us a first person review on the sizes once he has the chance to shot it some. I haven't ever had the chance to look at this NF scope, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.