Overpriced Reloading Components?

I'm sure Old Larry is, along with every other Larry, Moe and Curly!
He may be smiling, but he's not a fool. I wonder who is really getting rich here, and if it even matters? For one thing, I bet he's selling fewer at those prices. With the supply as it is, I'm almost willing to pay it! That might make me a bit foolish too... Unless, of course, they really do set about taking our guns away (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gu...ckson-lee-national-firearm-registry-licensing). We're getting a good lesson here in supply and demand (keep in mind, demand doesn't really change, what changes is the quantity supplied at that price...along the demand curve). I wonder what the prices will be like if the Dems succeed? I wonder what I'll be willing to pay then?

@CJW where are you located. I’ve got a bunch of 458 bullets that I bought for practice with my Lott, probably 3 lifetimes worth. I could probably spare some if interested and won’t gouge you either. If your close to E TN could probably spare some primers as well.
CJW,
where are you located? I shoot cast in the .458 WM about 99% of the time. You can load full power with cast bullets in that cartridge or anything in between.

He may be smiling, but he's not a fool. I wonder who is really getting rich here, and if it even matters? For one thing, I bet he's selling fewer at those prices. With the supply as it is, I'm almost willing to pay it! That might make me a bit foolish too... Unless, of course, they really do set about taking our guns away (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gu...ckson-lee-national-firearm-registry-licensing). We're getting a good lesson here in supply and demand (keep in mind, demand doesn't really change, what changes is the quantity supplied at that price...along the demand curve). I wonder what the prices will be like if the Dems succeed? I wonder what I'll be willing to pay then?
Well your mostly right about supply and demand, but I would venture this time out, the Covid/riots panic buying that started last March, greatly exacerbated the shortage on the supply side due to the unprecedented demand by people who either never owned a firearm and thus ammo to go with it, or awakened the casual shooter and he/she raided the local Wal Mart with a cart load of ammo and toilet paper! Ha! Then we have the election of Sleepy China Joe, who's as anti 2nd Amendment as politicians come. But, we've gone through the demand/supply issue before with Presidential elections, but without the aforementioned crises too.

@CJW where are you located. I’ve got a bunch of 458 bullets that I bought for practice with my Lott, probably 3 lifetimes worth. I could probably spare some if interested and won’t gouge you either. If your close to E TN could probably spare some primers as well.

PM sent for the very generous offer.

The SCOTUS will have The final say to the extent of the 2nd amendment and the validity of the current Bills bills written by 25 yr old liberals that have never held a firearm. Move these along ASAP and stop this crap. Shiela Jackson Lee...lady..you gotta grip on reality...read the second amendment, pretty damn straightforward. So..Texas won their independence from Mexico with love and hugs or powder and lead. A right to be armed shall not be infringed. Just as the 2nd amendment describes.

Last edited:
Here’s another killer deal:

61B26370-D6A2-4569-8900-D3C9F65ABF4E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is insanity! After the first deep shortage, I caught up and stocked up. However, I shouldn't roll my eyes too much because if I didn't have any, can't say I wouldn't be in there fighting to pay whatever it costs... but $19 a hundred, yeow, do we live in strange times or what ! :)

My primary LGS has been hanging tough right along but still slowly running out of everything. He's been limiting customers to 1lb of powder and 100 primers per week for quite a while. I've been going in about once a week for a pound of H4350 and a 100 pack of Federal 215 primers.... "dollar cost averaging", now running about $37 per lb of powder and $6 per 100 primers. I think I'm finally OK for most components for a long time. And if worse comes to worse, I have about 2000 lbs of lead I grabbed years ago at the local salvage yard, molds and BP to pretty much finish out my shooting career.

Last edited:
That is insanity! After the first deep shortage I caught up and stocked up. However, I shouldn't roll my eyes too much because if I didn't have any, can't say I wouldn't be in there fighting to pay that much. $325 for 1.7 bricks is quite the deal for the seller... $19 a hundred! :)

My primary LGS has been hanging tough but slowly running out of everything. He's been limiting customers to 1lb of powder and 100 primers per week for quite a while. I've been going in about once a week for a pound of H4350 and a 100 pack of Federal 215 primers.... "dollar cost averaging", now about $37 for the powder and $6 for the primers. I think I'm finally OK for most components for a long time. And if worse comes to worse, I have enough lead, molds and BP to pretty much end out my shooting career.
What your doing is reasonable with regards to purchasing powder and primers. But some of these buyers on GB are nuts! Plus, add the shipping costs and maybe sales tax to the total. And, it ultimately raises the prices, at least temporarily, for us buyers with some sanity left. I could also post some screen shots here of some outrageous prices paid for firearms on GB, but enough torture is enough! Maybe for another thread? Maybe for Valentines Day? Ha! Ha!

Check this out. Canada must be the land of gold

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.27.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.27.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107

Yeah!!! Wonder what the cost would be shipping to the U.S.? Kind of like during prohibition when Canada (although dry) could export booze, and the rum runners in Michigan would bring it across the frozen Detroit River to the U.S.? Anybody here live in Detroit? Ha! Ha!

@lil 2 sleepy
If'n Canada is the land of gold Australia must be the land of miIk
And honey as we pay a similar price and are only paying $60 a pound for powder.
Bob

@lil 2 sleepy
If'n Canada is the land of gold Australia must be the land of miIk
And honey as we pay a similar price and are only paying $60 a pound for powder.
Bob
Bob,
The last powder I bought was last summer here. I paid about $28/lb for two pounds of RL15 and one pound of H4831. Now look at the prices. Insanity!
CEH

Been to Powder Valley and Midway when they got powder. By the time I went to checkout, they were out of stock. Now I'm trying to get in on one of these games.
image(71).jpg

The prices u see on gunbroker are ridiculous. And I dont mean the sellers price. Alot of bids I saw started out at normal prices, then quickly reached over $100 per pound for powders. I did have to break down and get small rifle magnum primers for my target rifle, and it hurt I still feel like I'm gonna be sick for what I paid lol.

I have been charged with parting out an estate with large amounts of brass and bullets. Still in the early stages and not ready to list. The estate would rather sell local to avoid payment and shipping issues. If there is something you NEED, PM me and I will look for you. Brass and bullets only.
Generally speaking, the price is 80% of what is currently shown at midway plus shipping.

As the Remington plant gets back up to full production, it should start to ease the shortages. It has been the perfect storm for the last year; pandemic, rioting, largest number of 1st time gun buyers, major (largest?) ammo manufacturer declares bankruptcy, ardent anti-gun administration elected with control of both houses.
I have found some of the bigger suppliers taking the same position I've seen advocated here, Grafs and Track of the Wolf for instance. While it took a little bit, I did get my order of 45-70 brass from TotW and Grafs just shipped some brass and dies. Both at regular pricing. Took about a month from the time the order was placed. Natchez is selling for regular prices when they have inventory.
My son found me another reloader that swapped some large rifle magnums for some small and large pistol. I think this kind of approach should allow us to continue feeding our affliction hobby for awhile.

I haven't had a chance yet, but I plan to go see what surplus stuff I have and will offer it out here as well. Fellow members have treated me well recently along these lines, I will do the same. Off the top of my head, I know I'm flush with 30-06 brass. A lot of it is military surplus that my grandpa was fond of.

As the Remington plant gets back up to full production, it should start to ease the shortages. It has been the perfect storm for the last year; pandemic, rioting, largest number of 1st time gun buyers, major (largest?) ammo manufacturer declares bankruptcy, ardent anti-gun administration elected with control of both houses.
I have found some of the bigger suppliers taking the same position I've seen advocated here, Grafs and Track of the Wolf for instance. While it took a little bit, I did get my order of 45-70 brass from TotW and Grafs just shipped some brass and dies. Both at regular pricing. Took about a month from the time the order was placed. Natchez is selling for regular prices when they have inventory.
My son found me another reloader that swapped some large rifle magnums for some small and large pistol. I think this kind of approach should allow us to continue feeding our affliction hobby for awhile.

I haven't had a chance yet, but I plan to go see what surplus stuff I have and will offer it out here as well. Fellow members have treated me well recently along these lines, I will do the same. Off the top of my head, I know I'm flush with 30-06 brass. A lot of it is military surplus that my grandpa was fond of.
You could easily sell that '06 brass. The vendors who have the loaded ammo are GOUGING. I saw some of it for $60 and up a box of 20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg