Overpriced Reloading Components?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I’ve seen some crazy asking prices for reloading stuff lately, but these two items actually sold last night on GB. I contacted the seller of the dies after they sold. He was amazed too and told me he just wanted $30 for the dies?

6076090B-D210-4C02-B205-D8D7A7C8F4E5.jpeg
F7A8628C-C61B-4B4B-97AC-C25506EDC499.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a local classified for my state-“common” powders are worth $45-50 a pound and I have seen two pound size jugs of RL26 go for $90 and $95 respectively.
crazy what a supply/demand crisis will do for a market.

There is a local classified for my state-“common” powders are worth $45-50 a pound and I have seen two pound size jugs of RL26 go for $90 and $95 respectively.
crazy what a supply/demand crisis will do for a market.
Yeah, and don’t forget some of the outrageous asking prices for some types of primers. But, I guess it is what it is?

It's funny, as a Brit I was reading this and wondering whether the prices were so cheap as to be laughable or so expensive to be equally laughable. I soon realised it was the latter!

I'm not sure that proper supply and demand really applies in the UK. There is so little demand that it seldom becomes a driver. Sadly, we largely take what we can get and adapt. Supply issues from the US have long been an issue as the market is so small and shipping relatively complex that it's not a major market and that is reflected in the price and availability of everything. Bullets, brass, reloading equipment......and guns.

The upside is that many UK shooters are (mostly) equipment agnostic and there is little brand loyalty. That's not because they don't have preferences but because there are continuity of supply issues so alternatives are needed. We also find that when the US market overheats (threats of controls=massive sales in all commodities) there is no chance of anything heading across the pond hence we look elsewhere and, on occasions, we strike lucky.

I love the irony of a nation with such incredibly restrictive gun controls producing shotguns/double coveted the world over.....but struggling to get reloading components for them lol.

FN

I’ve seen some crazy asking prices for reloading stuff lately, but these two items actually sold last night on GB. I contacted the seller of the dies after they sold. He was amazed too and told me he just wanted $30 for the dies?
Would you believe what the brass went for. I stoped around 200. Not that I need any.

It's funny, as a Brit I was reading this and wondering whether the prices were so cheap as to be laughable or so expensive to be equally laughable. I soon realised it was the latter!

I'm not sure that proper supply and demand really applies in the UK. There is so little demand that it seldom becomes a driver. Sadly, we largely take what we can get and adapt. Supply issues from the US have long been an issue as the market is so small and shipping relatively complex that it's not a major market and that is reflected in the price and availability of everything. Bullets, brass, reloading equipment......and guns.

The upside is that many UK shooters are (mostly) equipment agnostic and there is little brand loyalty. That's not because they don't have preferences but because there are continuity of supply issues so alternatives are needed. We also find that when the US market overheats (threats of controls=massive sales in all commodities) there is no chance of anything heading across the pond hence we look elsewhere and, on occasions, we strike lucky.

I love the irony of a nation with such incredibly restrictive gun controls producing shotguns/double coveted the world over.....but struggling to get reloading components for them lol.

FN
Yes, that is very ironic. But, as you’ve stated, the smaller market size probably has a lot to do with the scarcity of reloading components. As for brand loyalty with reloading components, I , as I’m sure many others in today’s components shortages, buy what I can find at a reasonable price and make it work regardless of the particular brand.

Would you believe what the brass went for. I stoped around 200. Not that I need any.
No, I actually couldn’t believe it. The last dozen or more bids were by two people. It was like they couldn’t stand to be outbid by the other in their race to the outrageous! I stopped looking at it around $320. But, like watching a train wreck, I just had to know the final outcome so I looked at it after they sold. I’ve seen several sets of the Lee Taylor dies sell for $40-50. You can find the .416 Taylor Redding dies for $200 new?

Last edited:
No, I actually couldn’t believe it. The last dozen or more bids were by two people. It was like they couldn’t stand to be outbid by the other in their race to the outrageous! I stopped looking at it around $320. But, like watching a train wreck, I just had to know the final outcome so I looked at it after they sold. I’ve seen several sets of the Lee Taylor dies sell for $40-50. You can find the .416 Taylor Redding dies for $200 new?
I just ordered a 470 NE and a 470 capstick die from Midway. The capstick was over 240. Both are redding. Should get it today. Thinking of building a 470 capstick.

I just ordered a 470 NE and a 470 capstick die from Midway. The capstick was over 240. Both are redding. Should get it today. Thinking of building a 470 capstick.
Nice!

Just got a brick of small pistol primers at the Bass Pro here in Cincinnati, OH for $35.00. Just found where to be at lunchtime on Tuesdays, apparently delivery day. My duck hunting buddy got a brick of 209 primers for $40. Unfortunately here, Tuesday is the main delivery day if you're looking for hard-to-find bourbons.

Guys, I’ve got bullets in a bunch of calibers that I can inventory and sell cheap if there’s interest. I’ve tuned all my rifles which means the bullets not selected are just gonna sit there for years. Happy to part with them if they’re needed. There should be .22, .244, 7mm, .30, 8mm, .375. There’s also a can of .300 H&H brass collecting dust somewhere. Let me know if you want me to put together a list.

i have a couple Lee Loaders, probably should sell them on GB. Haven't used them in years and years.

I listed some primers for trade online. I have about 15,000 large pistol magnum primers and needed small pistol. I had a guy email me offering to trade some. I had 4000 large pistol with me when I met up with him but he only had 1000 to trade me. I traded 1000 for 1000 and when he saw I had 3000 more he handed me $600 and said he wanted the rest. I wasn’t about to argue with him and just walked away with $600

Yeah, I'm sitting on a lifetime's supply of primers. Nice place to be right now.
Many of my friends laughed when I told them I ordered 80K Large and Small rifle primers about 10 years ago. Guess who they are calling looking for primers.

WAB...what .22 caliber bullets are available?
Sorry, I listed a bunch of bullets in the classified section this morning. All but the 8mm bullets have sold already. I guess folks are really feeling the shortage!

I went to cal ranch today for some animal food. The sporting good shelves were bare. Even the junk brands and obscure items were gone. There were only a dozen long guns still available. It was eerie and weird. I’m not needing anything but it was sooo crazy to see the emptiness!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg