JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Gday guys,

Long story short I'm in the market to get myself a 7x57 with open sights. I initially wanted to get an older Brno model or even cz 550 but they're rarer than hen's teeth in Australia. I'm now thinking of getting a Schultz and larsen hunter traveller.

The only thing is they come without sights and there's no factory option to include them so they'll have to be retro fitted. I got a quote from a gun smith to install a folding three leaf sight and it was $1000 without regulating them so that's out of my price range. I figure the next best thing is to just get a fixed sight, sight it 2" high at 100m and shoot fairly flat out to 250.

But I have no idea of manufactures of open sights, who's good who to avoid and any other useful information about it.

If folks can make some suggestions itd be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
The sights on my rebarrelled M70 458 Win Mag came off of the original barrel. It may be possible to locate a rifle or barrel that has the sights that you want, then sell the rifle sans sights.

I have beautiful 3 leaf sights on two of my rifles.................they look nice.............but they are useless to me............good hunting...............FWB

I have beautiful 3 leaf sights on two of my rifles.................they look nice.............but they are useless to me............good hunting...............FWB
I'd love em!

This is to be a pretty much open sights rifle, sorta my pet project.

Just found out the S&L will take 12 months to import so might have to think of another brand. Hardly anyone does a 7x57 anymore

JP................I love them as well.............but shooting at game at 300 yards, my age and eyesite irresponsible........just me...................FW Bill

Surely there must be a few 2nd hand FNs, Brno Mod 21/22s or older Rugers floating about? That would be the easiest. Obviously a nice .275 Rigby would be first choicse, with a nice little A-type or even a Suhl-Mauser 2nd.

Otherwise Recknagel or NECG make nice sights.

A futher option would be to find a well used or shot out rifle in another standard caliber, salvage the sights and rebarrel in 7x57. Something like an old Husqvarna, Brno etc

Surely there must be a few 2nd hand FNs, Brno Mod 21/22s or older Rugers floating about? That would be the easiest. Obviously a nice .275 Rigby would be first choicse, with a nice little A-type or even a Suhl-Mauser 2nd.

Otherwise Recknagel or NECG make nice sights.

A futher option would be to find a well used or shot out rifle in another standard caliber, salvage the sights and rebarrel in 7x57. Something like an old Husqvarna, Brno etc
I've been keeping an eye out but they get picked up pretty quickly when they do cone up. Australia doesn't have the number of guns in circulation to have a good number of solid guns popping up.

I have NECG sights on three custom model 70’s, 7x57, .375 H&H and .458 Lott. They are awesome. An option to get your cost down is to ilhave their masterpiece front ramp installed and then use a QD rear base with a QD peep sight designed for the base. NECG offers one that fits the Leupold QRW base. Talley offers one that fits their own base. This allows you to switch between a scope and a peep.

I've been keeping an eye out but they get picked up pretty quickly when they do cone up. Australia doesn't have the number of guns in circulation to have a good number of solid guns popping up.

does midwayusa or brownells ship to Aus?

If so, they both carry a decent variety of irons (including NECG, which I think are excellent..) at reasonable prices..

I cant imagine shipping costs would be too terribly outrageous.. we're talking about a very small, low weight package..

Ok thanks guys I'll go with the brand necg.

Next question would be should I go the direction of a standard v or should I try these ghost rings people talk about. The cost of a folding leaf sight has cured me of that idea.

It's a deer stalking rifle so low light will play into it which makes me question the ghost ring. I know with my bow peep sight it just kills light acquisition early morning late evening.

Also which would be better for accuracy to say 200-250m? For arguments sake I'm not suggesting I'm planning on blazing away at animals from that range but I'd like to be competent out to that range for no reason other than being able to.

I have hunt with open sights on my muzzleloader and 22 but never have on a centrefire, keen to get into it.

Ghost rings are faster and more accurate in my experience. I suspect, given the large aperture that they are as good at low light but I have never really compared. I use both but prefer the ghost ring over the v notch.

Ive only used ghost rings on shotguns before.. but I find them incredibly fast, and have had no problem with them related to low light.. in fact I typically find them easier and faster to pick up in low light situations than I do a typical notch type site.. thats why a million moons ago when I was still on a SWAT team all of our shotguns were equipped with ghost rings (super fast, and easy to acquire in low light conditions)..

Im not sure how great they would be for long shots though.. you were originally talking about folding leaf sites.. I am assuming that means you intend on using this rifle out to at least 200 yards, possibly further?

Maybe ghost rings continue to be accurate at long range? I truly dont know. The longest shot I ever made with them was in training, at 50 yards, with slugs from a short barreled shotgun... but I would think I would be challenged by them on a 200+ yard shot with a rifle.. where a notched leaf presents no problem for me at all..

Ive only used ghost rings on shotguns before.. but I find them incredibly fast, and have had no problem with them related to low light.. in fact I typically find them easier and faster to pick up in low light situations than I do a typical notch type site.. thats why a million moons ago when I was still on a SWAT team all of our shotguns were equipped with ghost rings (super fast, and easy to acquire in low light conditions)..

Im not sure how great they would be for long shots though.. you were originally talking about folding leaf sites.. I am assuming that means you intend on using this rifle out to at least 200 yards, possibly further?

Maybe ghost rings continue to be accurate at long range? I truly dont know. The longest shot I ever made with them was in training, at 50 yards, with slugs from a short barreled shotgun... but I would think I would be challenged by them on a 200+ yard shot with a rifle.. where a notched leaf presents no problem for me at all..
If I can push out shots comfortably to 200 then yes I would like to, at least on paper.

The folding leaf was my preference but $1000 for installation and then having to regulate them is a bit excessive I think.

I can group at 3” to 4” at 100 yds w the ghost ring on my .375. I feel like 150 would be about my limit.

Gday guys,

Long story short I'm in the market to get myself a 7x57 with open sights. I initially wanted to get an older Brno model or even cz 550 but they're rarer than hen's teeth in Australia. I'm now thinking of getting a Schultz and larsen hunter traveller.

The only thing is they come without sights and there's no factory option to include them so they'll have to be retro fitted. I got a quote from a gun smith to install a folding three leaf sight and it was $1000 without regulating them so that's out of my price range. I figure the next best thing is to just get a fixed sight, sight it 2" high at 100m and shoot fairly flat out to 250.

But I have no idea of manufactures of open sights, who's good who to avoid and any other useful information about it.

If folks can make some suggestions itd be greatly appreciated

Cheers
$1000 is RIDICULOUS! Unless he is going to silver solder them on and then reblue the barrel. Even then, that is absurd. Call NECG or Williams gunsights. I believe their quotes are usually in the $150-200 range. You can regulate them yourself with a $20 set of needle files and a cold blue touch-up pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
$1000 is RIDICULOUS! Unless he is going to silver solder them on and then reblue the barrel. Even then, that is absurd. Call NECG or Williams gunsights. I believe their quotes are usually in the $150-200 range. You can regulate them yourself with a $20 set of needle files and a cold blue touch-up pen.

This is australia mate, the land of great rip offs. I ordered a rifle in once and took note of the USA price and it exactly doubled when I paid for it here.

I wouldn't have a clue how to regulate them though. I saw the necg ones don't need to be soldered, I'd have ago if I could do it without stuffing things up

NECG does not manufacture their sights, so it seems silly to buy them from the USA when you live in Australia. Instead of buying the sights from the USA importer, why not buy them direct from Recknagel in Germany? I have the Recknagel catalog, very impressive selection.

I’ve used XS big dot sights on my primary CCW pistol for 15+ years..

XS makes excellent products

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg