One cartridge to hunt dangerous game for the rest of your life and it can't be a 375, what are you going with?

I don't own one, but a 450-400 double, because I have always wanted one. For plains game, either 9.3x74R which I do own, or 375 flanged, which I am going to build on a faurquison action.

Tough question!

If I couldn’t use my tried and true .375 FL single shot—in my avatar, and currently staring at me in my hotel room in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland—I’d probably go with this:

IMG_5637.jpeg

A Westley Richards model 1897 in .500 NE. Or this:

IMG_5643.jpeg

An Army & Navy underlever rebounding-hammer double in .450-400 3.25.” Best of all? Both rifles are paid for!

If I had to get one that I don’t have and it couldn’t be a .375, I would have Chapuis build me an Iphisi double rifle in .450-400 3” and would slap a discrete Leica 1-6x scope on it.

But luckily I have my .375, which should have been the last rifle I ever bought, since it’s the one I’m hunting with all over the world!

I am amazed that the 500/416 3 1/4 inch never took off.....it is the ultimate one double does all caliber.....maybe more is put into old time nostalgia than actual performance......
If ever I went sxs double it would be 500 NE and second barrel set 500/416 NE.....

I could say my 458 win mag, or maybe my 404 Jeff if I wanted a bolt gun, but I think it would be my Remington No.1 loaded as a 45/100, 500gns of lead goodness and clouds of the holy black smoke, just need to make sure the first shot counts or you can end up squished between the toes of some large animal that has an attitude problem
gumpy

As much as I love my .450 NE double, I'd probably have to go with my 450-400 double because it can and will be scoped due to my aging eyeballs.

As much as I love my .450 NE double, I'd probably have to go with my 450-400 double because it can and will be scoped due to my aging eyeballs.
Aging eyes is what has me focusing on bolt action rifles... yes, you can scope double rifles, but the shine with iron sights, and I can't bring myself to mount a red dot. I have some great bolt action rifles, of proven function, for any and all game.

Aging eyes is what has me focusing on bolt action rifles... yes, you can scope double rifles, but the shine with iron sights, and I can't bring myself to mount a red dot. I have some great bolt action rifles, of proven function, for any and all game.
I know what you mean and normally I wouldn't dream of blasphemeing a double with an optic but since it came with that option.....
Also, I'm hoping to go to Zim next year for croc and hippo, I'm planning to take the 450-400 so I can carry just one rifle in a take down case. I'll hunt the hippo with the irons and have the scope for the croc if needed.
How's that for some rationalization?

If we’re talking guns we own a 470 or 500 NE double. If it was a bolt gun that leaves me with a couple 458 options.

Ultimate dream would be an old Pre-War British Double, that makes my mind wander thinking about the tales it’d tell from each mark on it.

My 475 No 2 Jeffery double. I managed to source enough components to load almost 200 rounds so I should be good. If not, then my Mannlicher 458.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BouncyBros

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you