One and Only One Bullet manufacturer for Dangerous Game

If you could only use one brand of bullet for Dangerous Game what would it be?

• Barnes

• Hornady

• North Fork

• Peregrine

• Swift

• Woodleigh

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Swift Break Away Solids?
The bullets alone cost as much or more than loaded ammo.

Question for you Barnes shooters, I tried their early bullets in half a dozen rifles and got horrible accuracy. I’m talking about sub moa rifles going to 3” or 4” groups. I gave up on them. Do the newer bullets provide better accuracy? Is there some secret to reloading these bullets I’m missing?

I too could not get the original Barnes X to shoot consistently, in several rifles.

Seating the TSX 50 thousandths off the lands seems to do the trick for me. I've had good luck with them seated well off the lands.

Because they are feds... :rolleyes:

They deemed it armor piercing and therefore no civilian use. Total joke, as I expect from bafoons in the government making decisions on things of which they know nothing.

Third hand info: They were used by reloaders in handguns and the feds got wind of it.

I think some people in Africa rely on solids too often and I believe they don’t understand or are just not familiar with Barnes bullets and what they can do for you. From what I have learned on my Safaris the solid really is only needed for elephant. Everything else can be Barnes. I shot my Rhino with 500gr Barnes TSX and it performed very well. I know the PH’s say use solids for buff follow up shots but what about the bullet exiting and hitting another animal? The TSX is an expanding solid and will do great damage wherever it hits.
I don’t reload anymore and am no expert on bullets but these are my thoughts.
Regards,
Philip

I have found in my two rugers and one savage that I need to stay 2-3 grains below max to maintain 1 in groups when loading barnes all of them X TTSX whatever and varget is the only one my 2506 likes But it will shoot ttsx in half moa.took a lot o work with my coronagraph to get their but I have 6 one shot kills on elk with an 03a3 action,douglas supreme barrel 25-06,ive had really good luck with Barnes

Question for you Barnes shooters, I tried their early bullets in half a dozen rifles and got horrible accuracy. I’m talking about sub moa rifles going to 3” or 4” groups. I gave up on them. Do the newer bullets provide better accuracy? Is there some secret to reloading these bullets I’m missing?
Most people report they should be seated well off the lands, and I have found they don’t do well pushed to max velocities. I tried half a dozen powders that didn’t group for shit in my .375 Ruger, and then tried IMR 4955. 1.2 moa groups.

Same powder won’t group with Barnes bullets for shit in a friends rifle. He gets sub moa groups with a powder that mine shoots cylinder bore patterns with.

Go figure.

Thanks guys, it sounds like they tend to be finicky from an accuracy POV. I find Swift’s very easy to work up loads with. Curious.

Most people report they should be seated well off the lands, and I have found they don’t do well pushed to max velocities. I tried half a dozen powders that didn’t group for shit in my .375 Ruger, and then tried IMR 4955. 1.2 moa groups.

Same powder won’t group with Barnes bullets for shit in a friends rifle. He gets sub moa groups with a powder that mine shoots cylinder bore patterns with.

Go figure.
Eric, I have found Alliant RL17 powder works really well in my 375 Ruger Guide Gun. I use it with two different bullets. 78.5grs. of RL17 with a Nosler 300gr. Accubond bullet produces a 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds and chronographed at 2590fps. Then 73.0grs of RL17 powder with a Woodleigh 350gr. PP bullet produces a 1.0" 3-shot group at 100yds and chronographed at 2390fps. Both bullets seat at a COAL 3.385" and Lee factory crimp die used for heavy crimp. Just some clearance in magazine well.

Eric, I have found Alliant RL17 powder works really well in my 375 Ruger Guide Gun. I use it with two different bullets. 78.5grs. of RL17 with a Nosler 300gr. Accubond bullet produces a 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds and chronographed at 2590fps. Then 73.0grs of RL17 powder with a Woodleigh 350gr. PP bullet produces a 1.0" 3-shot group at 100yds and chronographed at 2390fps. Both bullets seat at a COAL 3.385" and Lee factory crimp die used for heavy crimp. Just some clearance in magazine well.
I will have to try that. If it work, it would simplify my powder shelf. That is a problem with 15 caliber stables.

Is there such a bullet as "Norma African PH"...or is that ammo?

This was only looking at bullets, not loaded ammo.

Correct. "Norma African PH" is factory ammo loaded with heavy-for-calibre Woodleighs, both softs and solids.

I don't have a lot of experience with DG in Africa but my results on my buffalo hunt using 300 gr Swift A frames in my 375 Ruger backed up by Northfork solids was more then impressive. My buff ran 25 yds and collapsed but as with all buff hunts my Ph asked me to put a solid in him.

It is a simple question, albeit without a simple solution. To tackle an Elli with an expanding bullet is not a clever thing to do, same applies when going for cats with solids. However, in this unrealistic scenario I would opt for Barns X/TSX. It is deadly on all DG. But on Elephant, go for the lungs and NOT frontal head shot as penetration with an expanding bullet might not be adequate and the path of travel not straight, resulting in bullet not reaching the brain. Also invest in a pair of good running shoes, it might come in handy.

Good question. I voted Woodleigh, but like the Northfork and Swift - though Swift does not make a solid in my chosen caliber.

It is a simple question, albeit without a simple solution. To tackle an Elli with an expanding bullet is not a clever thing to do, same applies when going for cats with solids. However, in this unrealistic scenario I would opt for Barns X/TSX. It is deadly on all DG. But on Elephant, go for the lungs and NOT frontal head shot as penetration with an expanding bullet might not be adequate and the path of travel not straight, resulting in bullet not reaching the brain. Also invest in a pair of good running shoes, it might come in handy.

The question is one manufacturer, with the idea being that you could do a soft/solid combo if need be (yes I know not all choices make a solid).

Good question. I voted Woodleigh, but like the Northfork and Swift - though Swift does not make a solid in my chosen caliber.

Don't get me started on the lack of options and availability for a good solid to go with some of my favorite softs....

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Swift Break Away Solids?
The bullets alone cost as much or more than loaded ammo.
Yes, last summer in RSA. 400 gr in 416 Rigby on cape buffalo. Approx 2350 fps at 15 yards. worked fabulously, fed great in my CZ550 whereas I can't say the same for some others.

I don't reload, I only use factory ammunition.

My only experience of Hornady bullets are the 165gr SSTs I used in my 30-06 for plains game.
I did put some animals in the dust with them but I also spent more time tracking wounded ones with them.
At the time I thought they were OK and it was down to poor shooting but with a bit more experience and different bullets I now wonder just how good the Hornady ammunition really was.

I have since used Norma Oryx in my 30-06 and every animal I have hit has only needed one bullet.

I have a .375 now and my choice of ammunition was a no brainer, Norma Oryx and I also have some Norma African PH with Woodleigh soft nose bullets.

I will never use Hornady products again because I simply don't have faith in them compared to Norma.
In hand they look and feel very cheap and the price in the UK reflects this.
If I remember correctly the Hornady were £35 per 20 and the Norma were £45.

You get what you pay for.

Adrian,
it is good that you were prepared to try other bullets.
in doing so you found something better for your task.
so many guys fail to do this, preferring to go on using what is sometimes a second rate tool for the job, and then justify its use by defending it with great gusto.
one example of this is the nosler partition, which, while excellent for some applications, is yesterday's bullet for others, compared to say swift or northfork.
another is guys who use smaller calibres on game such as eland, and because they actually scratch it down, assume it is as good as it gets.
once you have used an adequate calibre with best bullets there is no turning back unless you are a denier.
bruce.

based on my older than dirt experience,punch bullets for straight walled cartridges,woodleigh hydro static stabilized solids for bottle neck cartridges.just my opinion and ill stake my life on it.to each his or her own.

I firmly believe that rifle barrels are just like people they all have their own personality and until you find the bullet/powder combination that barrel likes you wont have a real shooter,A east coast friend of mine bought 3 ruger rifles in the same cal with consecutive searial numbers and they all 3 have faverite combinations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg