One and Only One Bullet manufacturer for Dangerous Game

If you could only use one brand of bullet for Dangerous Game what would it be?

• Barnes

• Hornady

• North Fork

• Peregrine

• Swift

• Woodleigh

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love the Woodleigh bullets
Woodleigh-1.jpg
Woodleigh-2.jpg
Woodleigh-3.jpg

So it seems.... all you need now (if you haven't already bought it) is Geoff McDonald's reloading manual; a really great read.

Wow! The hog looks bigger than the cow!

A nephew (militay) spent several years up in the NT, working with Norforce (Indigenous military reserve unit) and in "closed" areas of Arnhem land; boars up there you don't go chasing with a 243.... He used a 30.06, and Woodleigh 220grain RNs. His best mate had one rifle: left hand Winchester Model 70 in 404 Jeffery. Pigs and Water Buff.

Adam,
If you do not mind my asking, what do you do with all that pork?

I make breakfast sausage from all of mine except for a few prime cuts.

Has anyone on this post ever tried the 500 grain nosler solid in the .458 Win Mag in Africa and what were the results?

Has anyone on this post ever tried the 500 grain nosler solid in the .458 Win Mag in Africa and what were the results?
solid-section.jpg

They have no friction reducing bands in the rear section and being .458 diameter they may well show high pressure signs in the 458 WM before they reach any respectable velocity.

They also contain no lead in the brass used which further pushes pressures up as the small amount of lead used by other manufacturers reduces friction.

The Meplat seems too small and the front cutting edge of the Meplat has been rounded off, which is not good. This may lead to deflection when hitting hard bone as opposed to punching through if the cutting/leading edge was sharp. The ogive shape in front is too pronounced(too much like a spitzer) which could cause the bullet to deflect easier after hitting the target. The straighter/flatter the ogive the better straight line penetration will be.

There are better choices especially in 500gr/458 and in particular for the 458 WM.

IMG_0850.jpg

16602693_764440873705005_8757522629726237528_n.png

Below is the link to a great article that will explain in detail the effect of shape vs penetration.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/more-stable-penetration-with-a-new-solid-bullet.14771/

Attachments

• 16602693_764440873705005_8757522629726237528_n.png
    16602693_764440873705005_8757522629726237528_n.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 264
  • solid-section.jpg
    solid-section.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
PMP, South African brand has made great strides in their ammo. I would use it on any game.

Wow- tough, imposible call as there are so many excellent bullets to choose from. Not that many years ago there were few or none. Each design has it's place. The bullets I've used, witnessed and like for Dangerous Game (since that is the original question) include: Swift A Frames, Barnes TSX, Northfork Solids and GS Custom Solids. The feds forced Barnes to quit making their good solid- kind of surprised other manufactures of similar solids didn't cave ??

I voted Barnes, but if I absolutely had to take a shot that my life depended on, 180 grain Remington core loks out of a Carl Gustaf rifle chambered in 30-06.
Sub Moa groups past 300 yards, and I have never had one of the bullets fail

straight walled cartridges,punch bullets,bottle neck cartridges,hydro static stabilized solids by woodliegh.

I voted Other with Bitterroot Bonded Core Bullets being my choice. they are no longer in production, but that wasn't specified as a requirement for choice. If I were to use up my stash, I'd go with Woodleighs.

Second? Swift (and only because Woodleigh is more well-suited for use in vintage doubles).

IMG_1351.JPG
Beginnings of Cape Buffalo prep.

400gr North Fork .410

Will find an accurate load north of 2,200fps.

Looking forward to the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!