One action left, what to build?

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Hi all, first time posting and I have a question. I have one large ring m98 action left with my gunsmith and am curious as to what I build. When not hunting in Limpopo I live and hunt 90 percent of the time in south Louisiana US where shots are rarely 100yards so I have plenty of “brush guns”. My main hunting rifles are a 7x57 and a 375 ruger....with a custom model 54 win with a peep sight in 7x57 on the way! I am missing a heavy caliber but I am holding off building a heavy until I can see if I can purchase a custom 416 rem that used to belong to a friend of mine which for sentimental reasons I would like to have. I am leaning toward another light to medium caliber, I keep going back and forth. I know this is the subject of many campfire debates but what would you build ? Also forgot to mention already have a 300win mag as well, I know my bases are already covered!

Even though you’ve been a member for a long time, welcome to the posting side!
Is there a specific purpose for this rifle? Western hunt, Africa, Alaska, southern, deep woods, etc?
My first thoughts were a 35 Whelen.
Best of luck in your decision!

9.3x62 would be nice in that action. Welcome aboard

my vote would be for either 35 Whelen or 9.3x62

I built a 35 whelen on a VZ24 LR Mauser action a few years ago.. its been a great rifle.. affordable barrels are available at midwayusa... for less than $100 shipped if you will wait until they do their "free shipping on orders greater than $50" thing they do once ever few weeks.. ... and 35 whelen is a whole lot easier to find on the shelf (or online) than 9.3x62 in the US... those were the 2 primary reasons I went the whelen rather than the 9.3 route..

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...our-1-in-14-twist-24-chrome-moly-in-the-white

That said, there are plenty of barrel makers out there that will happily make you a 9.3x62 barrel.. and if you reload, 9.3x62 ammo wont be a problem.. and if youre looking for a classic Africa cartridge, its hard to beat a 9.3x62...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-08 Green Mountain Barrel Mauser Series 3 35 Whelen F34 Contour 1 14 Twist.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-08 Green Mountain Barrel Mauser Series 3 35 Whelen F34 Contour 1 14 Twist.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
Come over to the Dark Side, 6.5 Creedmoor. :p

Another vote here for 9.3x62.

Like you I’m a fan of 7x57 and peep sights. Will this last rifle have peeps too?

Based on what you already have I would vote for 9.3x62 as well.

IMG_0123.jpeg
8x57JS
It has made a huge comeback over here in Europe and not without good reason. It is excellent for moose but maybe more important for its comeback is its qualities on wildboar. You will not experience that game you shoot will nosedive like they sometimes will when hit by your 300 mag, but its one of those wonderful calibers that gives very very good penetration. A couple of years ago I read a very good and realistic test of Rhino bullets. Only two calibers penetrated the test medium. 9,3x62 and of course 8x57JS. Now, I was like "yup,,knew that". I had just commissioned a custom build on a civilian Oberndorf action and after god knows how many hours of thought processing and rounds of elimination ended up selecting 8x57JS. Short range capabilities was primary. Primary sights is the quarter rib. This babe points like my favorite sporting shotgun.
I`ll try to upload a pic.

Have you ever considered the 8x64S?

Is't like a 8x57IS on steroids...

Power is a little bit more than a .30-06, and this is not bad at all.

You have to be a reloader to feed it, but it is unique in any way.

HWL

Have you ever considered the 8x64S?

Is't like a 8x57IS on steroids...

Power is a little bit more than a .30-06, and this is not bad at all.

You have to be a reloader to feed it, but it is unique in any way.

HWL
Very good caliber.

Only one comes to mind....9.3x62

338-06 is my choice

9,3 is good. But go the whole hog and build a .318 WR

Another idea would be to build a 375/338 Ruger or a 375/358 Ruger. I love that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg