One action left, what to build?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by ian-bradley, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ian-bradley

ian-bradley AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    Well boys it’s settled, I’ve always admired work by the famous AL Biesen so I am gonna have a light weight sported built in his style in 257 Roberts.

Dewald likes this.

2. Dewald

Dewald AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    Fine choice. I’ve never heard of any person regrettng owning the .257 Bob.

Personally I’m a .250 Savage man, but that comes from my love for old FN rifles. Now if a Pre-64 Bob came along I’d feel obliged...

3. Desert Dog

Desert Dog AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I just finished a Dougals-barreled FN Mauser commercial action, bedded into some beautiful wood. I chambered this one in 25-06 and couldn't be happier!

25-06 is everything 257 Roberts wished it could be, lol! It is clover-leafing 100gr TTSX's at 3320 FPS.

4. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

If you spend 90% of your time in south Louisiana, your main quarry is the whitetail deer. Whitetails in Louisiana run small, you just don't need a large caliber. My recommendation considering where you live would be something in the 6.5 category. My personal choice is the 6.5-284. It's a nice lightweight flat shooting cartridge that's perfect for deer sized game and it's also a good caliber for Coyote.

You mentioned that shots are 100 yards or less, I'd use a 130-140 grain bullet and you'd have yourself a perfect whitetail gun. A 22-24 inch barrel in an ultralight stock would give you a gun you could carry all day; considering the short ranges you'll be shooting you won't need a scope with more than 7-9 power. A 3-9 varial power scope would be perfect. You've got the heavy calibers covered with your 375, now its time for a lighter weight rifle.