Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Please allow me an indulgence to tell you about a little dog. If anyone wants to add a tribute to this thread then please do.

16 years ago my daughter was five, my son's 3 & 1. We were shopping in a mall and decided to see the animals for sale in the pet store. There was the usual collection of Guinea pigs, kittens, birds and pups. But then there was this little black thing. She was running up and down the aisle looking like the end of a mop. The black long hair concealed her features as she charged around giving attention to anyone. Apparently she was "old" for their standards and was not likely to be bought. Well, we weren't in the market for a dog so we enjoyed her attention and left.

The next morning my two older children woke us up with an announcement. They had decided what that dog should be called when we buy her - Mango. I vividly recall the matter of fact look in my daughter's eye and the unsure hopefulness in my son's. It was at that point I knew we WERE in the market for a dog. A black shitzu-poodle apparently.

Over the next 16 years Mango gave us nothing but unconditional love. Each and every time we would come though the front door she was there, as excited to see us as the first day we met. To say she was useful would be a lie. She would chase rabbits but I fear they would get the better of her if she ever got close enough. She was, however, very good at tracking down leftover Italian food. Really all she did was treat every day as if it were her first. Everything was fun. It was a joy to just go around the block. She loved the snow and she would dive through the deep stuff with abandon.

Sixteen years of daily walks puts a lot of miles on a relationship. And, her and I had a lot of time together.

Well, time passes. The kids are older and two are in university. She has lived in three different houses in two cities. We have all have aged but time runs faster for dogs. This morning I took her to the vet for the last time. She had used up that body pretty good and she was done. Time for her to move on.

The house is a little quieter. When I got home I opened the door to silence. No little claws on the hardwood racing to see who had come in. Coming home to no fanfare is going to take some getting used to.

I truely believe animals teach us so much if we pay attention. Sadly, maybe some of those lessons are only learned in retrospect. Where did that time go? How short those Mango years were after all. Maybe I could have lingered a little longer in them and seen more. Anyways, thanks Mango for always reminding me that life is to be enjoyed.

FullSizeR.jpg

Thanks. A dog's life is a true measure of time and character.

I'm sure she was a good friend and in her eyes you never did wrong. Thanks for sharing!

a very lovely dog and family member.r.i.p.

So sorry to hear your sad news. Thanks for that tribute, I really enjoyed reading it. I showed it to my wife and her eyes welled up. Dogs hold a special place in our hearts.

I can empathize with what your going through right now; right around the time Mango was coming into this world, my first dog was checking out from cancer.....I wrote this as a form of "therapy", but I still get misty eyed every time I read it.....

Gundog's 23rd Psalm:

My master is my provider; I have no wants.
He lets me roam bird filled coverts,
He leads me besides duck filled waters,
He knows my purpose in life.

He trains me in a manner that benefits us both.

Even though the world is filled with disease and pestilence, I am not concerned;
My master takes care of me.
Veterinary care and clean food and water sustain me.

He brags upon me in the presence of other dogs and their masters.
He pets me head to show me his pleasure.

My life is fullfilled.

Surely long walks and hunting trips will follow me all the days of my life.

And I will dwell in my master's heart forever.

(with apologies to King David)

Dedicated to the memory of my American Water spaniel, Swan Lake's Remington Nitro Magnum (Nitro). Born 11-22-89 and died 9-15-2000. Opening day will never be the same.

While I don't beleive in "doggie heaven", I sure hope his spirit finds lots of pheasants to flush and ducks to fetch.

God bless you, buddy, you were more dog than I ever deserved!

Bests wishes, Pheroze........you'll never forget her (or any other dog); they leave tracks across your heart!

My eyes still well up every time I read something like this. My mind drifts to all of great times, along with what now feels like opportunities missed with Buster, and before him Lucky. I do pray that they will meet me at heaven's gate someday, and in the meantime are chasing pheasants and grouse for the Lord and getting some divine belly rubs.

As the saying goes: Always try to be half as good a person as your dog thinks you are.
Condolences for ya losing a good friend,
Cody

Sorry for your loss but happy for you to have such fond memories. Thank you for sharing.

Man that's tough and I'm sorry. It's always hard when a dog goes, they are every bit as much a family member as anyone else.

I am very sorry for your your loss...my Gordon setter is 7 now and I fear that day...:cry:

Sorry to hear.

I too lost my bud a while back.

Know what you feeling.

this made me feel all funny inside having put down some dogs in my life

I can empathize with what your going through right now; right around the time Mango was coming into this world, my first dog was checking out from cancer.....I wrote this as a form of "therapy", but I still get misty eyed every time I read it.....

Gundog's 23rd Psalm:

My master is my provider; I have no wants.
He lets me roam bird filled coverts,
He leads me besides duck filled waters,
He knows my purpose in life.

He trains me in a manner that benefits us both.

Even though the world is filled with disease and pestilence, I am not concerned;
My master takes care of me.
Veterinary care and clean food and water sustain me.

He brags upon me in the presence of other dogs and their masters.
He pets me head to show me his pleasure.

My life is fullfilled.

Surely long walks and hunting trips will follow me all the days of my life.

And I will dwell in my master's heart forever.

(with apologies to King David)

Dedicated to the memory of my American Water spaniel, Swan Lake's Remington Nitro Magnum (Nitro). Born 11-22-89 and died 9-15-2000. Opening day will never be the same.

While I don't beleive in "doggie heaven", I sure hope his spirit finds lots of pheasants to flush and ducks to fetch.

God bless you, buddy, you were more dog than I ever deserved!

Bests wishes, Pheroze........you'll never forget her (or any other dog); they leave tracks across your heart!

1 000 000 Likes

Sorry to hear that Pheroze, I know how you feel.

I´ve lost four dogs so far, and I remember every one of them.

I dread the last day with my little 11 year old GSP!
My sympathy to you.

So sorry to hear that....unconditional love is what they give. I'm just looking at my 10 year old yellow labrador lying asleep at my feet and I dread that day.
Take care and remember the good times
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg